Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47283 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
OT: Patriots being honored at the Red Sox home opener.

I think Gronk is there too LOL (not 100% sure though).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

He's there. He and Brady engaged in a good-natured tussle over Brady's jersey. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He's there. He and Brady engaged in a good-natured tussle over Brady's jersey. ;D

Haha yeah I saw.

Hopefully the Red Sox are motivated to get their fourth since 2004.

They've seen the Pats come by twice in the last three years.

« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Haha yeah I saw.

Hopefully the Red Sox are motivated to get their fourth since 2004.

They've seen the Pats come by twice in the last three years.

Brady should've worn a shirt with a giant 6 on it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Peterson leaves without contract but may revisit situation later.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Peterson leaves without contract but may revisit situation later.

Curran had some good speculation on this whole AP thing.  I think there could be some truth to the agent idea.

So, why’d the Patriots have him in?

My theory? They’re doing a solid for Peterson’s agent, Ben Dogra. Once one of the league’s most powerful reps when he was at CAA, Dogra was just reinstated in February by the NFLPA. The Patriots always had good relationships with Dogra. Now, as he’s trying to regain his foothold, his most recognizable client – Peterson – can’t get a sniff around the league. There’s no better way to make other organizations – owners especially – perk up than to get the Patriots imprimatur on Peterson even if it’s just a visit.

As Mike Florio points out, the Patriots could have done a low-key tire-kicking with Peterson.

Instead, The Oracle – Adam Schefter - had it Sunday night. Florio thinks it’s to put the heat on LeGarrette Blount and says a Peterson signing is unlikely. I think it’s a mere back-scratching for Dogra that the team hopes Dogra may remember somewhere down the line when doing a deal.

What we do agree on is that Adrian Peterson won’t be a Patriot.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So you all probably heard what happened with Romo today (his decision to "retire" and work at CBS in the broadcasts).

This might help NE out in some ways.

For starters, it means HOU and DEN AREN'T getting Romo, so there should be no other threats in the AFC besides maybe OAK.

Also, now Jimmy G. is the best available QB out there that's not in the NFL Draft. Might drive his price up a bit if a team is desperate and the Pats are willing to deal him for a treasure chest of picks.

« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So you all probably heard what happened with Romo today (his decision to "retire" and work at CBS in the broadcasts).

For starters, it means HOU and DEN AREN'T getting Romo, so there should be no other threats in the AFC besides maybe OAK.

Also, now Jimmy G. is the best available QB out there that's not in the NFL Draft. Might drive his price up a bit if a team is desperate and the Pats are willing to deal him for a treasure chest of picks.
I was definitely worried Houston or Denver would pick him up and become real contenders right away.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #263 on: April 04, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I was definitely worried Houston or Denver would pick him up and become real contenders right away.

I wouldn't be joking about Houston.

If they added Romo to go along with that elite defense, they could have been a threat.

« Reply #264 on: April 04, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If they added Romo to go along with that elite defense, they could have been a threat.
I wasnt joking. Both those teams are a quarterback away in my opinion. Houston is probably better. I think denver is getting a bit old. That spending spree from a few years ago is beginning to takes its toll on depth over there.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I wasnt joking. Both those teams are a quarterback away in my opinion. Houston is probably better. I think denver is getting a bit old. That spending spree from a few years ago is beginning to takes its toll on depth over there.

Oh my bad, sorry haha.

Yeah I think DEN O-Line is still an issue honestly, so even with Romo they'd struggle a bit.

Also Denver's defense isn't as good as it was a few years ago (still great, but not elite).

« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So apparently, SEA are "seriously" listening to offers for Sherman and are ACTUALLY considering trading him. (According to their GM)

Still a huge long shot, but he has said he wouldn't mind a trade to NE.

Again, it's a huge long shot, but something to monitor I guess as draft day approaches.

The thing is, Pats also don't have any 1st/2nd rounders as of now.. which is a slight problem.

« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Romo is replacing Simms next season, FWIW, so it seems his playing days are over.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Romo is replacing Simms next season, FWIW, so it seems his playing days are over.

That's the best news to come out of this whole thing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So apparently, SEA are "seriously" listening to offers for Sherman and are ACTUALLY considering trading him. (According to their GM)

Still a huge long shot, but he has said he wouldn't mind a trade to NE.

Again, it's a huge long shot, but something to monitor I guess as draft day approaches.

The thing is, Pats also don't have any 1st/2nd rounders as of now.. which is a slight problem.

Well, it seems they could easily re-acquire their #32 if they let Butler go to NO. I am not sure if that is enough to get Sherman or if two years of Sherman at big money is worth the pick and Butler, but it certainly would make us ultra-dominant at the CB position for the next two years.