Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47307 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Would be nice to know if we have Malcolm Butler next season or not...  ::)

I hope we do but this is going to drag out.

Pats will have a need at CB if Butler is gone and that potential #11 pick won't solve that hole next season at least (unless he's a pure stud in his rookie year)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #226 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/844958332918136833?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

League execs convinced Revis will go to NE.

Obviously nothing guaranteed, but it seems like a legit consideration now from NE.

Even though things have slowed, I wouldn't say NE's offseason is over yet lol.

« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2017, 02:47:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the update Phantom!

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Revis came back to the Pats. We all know how well we did his one year he was here. He has probably lost a step, but it would be great to have him with or without Butler.

As for Butler, what is going on?? There was this tweet a couple of days ago from Mike Giardi:

Malcolm Butler, Saints have the framework for a deal in place, per @MikeGiardi http://ble.ac/2n6QJcn

Are the Saints still trying to work out a deal where they only give up the #32 while BB is telling them to go ahead and sign him (giving us #12)? That is the only thing that makes sense at this point. And with Revis reportedly on his was to NE, the writing seems to be more than on the wall.

« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Revis came back to the Pats. We all know how well we did his one year he was here. He has probably lost a step, but it would be great to have him with or without Butler.

As for Butler, what is going on?? There was this tweet a couple of days ago from Mike Giardi:

Malcolm Butler, Saints have the framework for a deal in place, per @MikeGiardi http://ble.ac/2n6QJcn

Are the Saints still trying to work out a deal where they only give up the #32 while BB is telling them to go ahead and sign him (giving us #12)? That is the only thing that makes sense at this point. And with Revis reportedly on his was to NE, the writing seems to be more than on the wall.

Getting Revis back would be interesting. I've heard he's lost a step; I can't say, because I didn't watch him at all this season, but his stats look decent (tackles, etc.)—not many INTs, but that could be at least partly due to his reputation.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Getting Revis back would be interesting. I've heard he's lost a step; I can't say, because I didn't watch him at all this season, but his stats look decent (tackles, etc.)—not many INTs, but that could be at least partly due to his reputation.

His coverage & tackling were rather pathetic.  Poor effort at times & definitely was taking plays off. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2017, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The Butler thing will likely drag out for the next month until Draft Day probably.

I truthfully expect he will stay, unless the Saints absolutely blow him away with a massive offer. Like if they offer him less than 13M/Year for the next 3-4 years, I see no reason why NE wouldn't match the offer. And the Saints offering him more than 15M/Year seems unlikely.

Or it just ends up being rumors and he signs his 4M Tender for 2017 and plays for the big contract next year's offseason.

« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

His coverage & tackling were rather pathetic.  Poor effort at times & definitely was taking plays off.

Yikes. I don't like the sound of that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #232 on: March 23, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

The optimist in me says Revis' bad play was more on him just not caring with the Jets more than him losing a step. I'm sure he has but I still think he could be a suitable #2 next to Gilmore.

« Reply #233 on: March 23, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The optimist in me says Revis' bad play was more on him just not caring with the Jets more than him losing a step. I'm sure he has but I still think he could be a suitable #2 next to Gilmore.

I think that a bit too. Their QB play last year was atrocious and I can that being disheartening as a player nearing the end of your career as an elite player.

« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2017, 06:55:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
An unnamed NFL exec saying, "New England is the only place that makes sense" amounts exactly to nothing in terms of the actual likelihood for him to sign here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #235 on: March 23, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

I think that a bit too. Their QB play last year was atrocious and I can that being disheartening as a player nearing the end of your career as an elite player.

[dang] straight. Man the Jets are too easy to ridicule. When and if Revis comes back, I think he'll get the motivation to be the Revis of old under Belichick's wing.

Of course, I thought the same thing with Albert Haynesworth. It doesn't work with all of them.

« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yikes. I don't like the sound of that.
Reports are he also showed up to camp overweight and out of shape.

« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Revis was pretty atrocious last year. After his great season in NE, he signed a big contract, got heavy and out of shape and played terrible. He lost more than just a step. He will be 32 next year and unless he can prove he still can be a lockdown guy in great shape with execellent speed and agility again, I am not sure Belichick takes him on, especially since he believes Revis' skills don't translate to the safety position.

Also, you have to take into accounts Revis took at the Pats and Brady after leaving. Will bygones be bygones or will those comments bother some? Just don't see Revis coming back

« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maybe somebody already answered this....instead of allowing the Pats to have one of the best CBs in football for under $4mill why doesn't a team like the Jets just sweep in and offer him like $11mill on a one year deal? Stephon Gilmore got like $13 I think. So then either the Jets get a slightly good deal or force the Pats to make some business decisions, and it gets Butler to free agency, right?

No?

« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2017, 07:28:21 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Maybe somebody already answered this....instead of allowing the Pats to have one of the best CBs in football for under $4mill why doesn't a team like the Jets just sweep in and offer him like $11mill on a one year deal? Stephon Gilmore got like $13 I think. So then either the Jets get a slightly good deal or force the Pats to make some business decisions, and it gets Butler to free agency, right?

No?

The Pats placed a first-round tender on Butler, which means if they choose not to match they get the signing-team's first round pick. In the Jets' case, they'd be giving up the #6 overall pick, and Belichick would probably pack Butler's bags for him.