Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47360 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
So apparently the Seahawks are hearing offers on Richard Sherman.

No, New England won't trade for him. But it's still some pretty interesting non-Patriots news.

I doubt he leaves SEA but have to wonder what SEA is thinking here just "listening to offers"

Apparently the Raiders want him, and Lynch might want to return to his hometown.

OAK is already our biggest AFC threat IMO.

If they make those moves then oh boy...

Hopefully they'd have to give up a star and not a draft pick if they get Sherman so they at least get weaker somewhere else as a cost of upgrading the secondary.  And here I was thinking the AFC looked as wide open for us to repeat as AFC champs as it ever has...

Even if they acquired both those guys, it'd have to be through a trade. Just found out that Lynch is still under contract. Don't think the Raiders can offer that much that Seattle actually wants.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Acc to PMT, Butler is gone for #32pick.

Pardon My Take‏ Verified account @PardonMyTake  2h2 hours ago
More
 BREAKING: Sources are telling PMT that NE's Malcolm Butler will be traded to the Saints in exchange for the 32nd overall pick #MustCreditPMT
I'm not sure about the source, but I think I'd rather force the Saints to sign Butler to an offer sheet so we got their draft pick.

Honestly, I'd like the Pats to get more than just the 32nd pick, but maybe I'm being greedy.

Yeah, if this is true, then it is the worst of both worlds - not only do we lose Butler, but we get a slim return for him. I don't care if BB and Payton are 'friends' - this is a business and you can't lose your #1 CB (who you don't have to lose) for anything less than the Saints pick.

It's not often we see BB get taken over a barrel - I sure hope the source is wrong!

The reality is that if Butler doesn't want to play here, or BB doesn't want Butler (whatever the reason), then you take what you can get. You hope it is the #32 pick back.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Butler doesn't want to play here, then let him sign elsewhere and collect that team's first round pick; it is really that easy. If no team will sign him, then he will have to play for us this year at a discounted price in a win-now situation for the Pats.

Simply trading him for the worst 1st round pick there is doesn't make any sense when you don't have to do that. I don't know too many Pats fans who would be bummed to have Butler back on a long-term deal so it's not like his services are undesired in NE. Bill has all of the leverage here.

« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I would love to see Marshawn back. One of my favorite players on/off the field. Oakland has a nice core built with playmakers on both sides of the ball. It took em 15 years to rebuild but they're back. Hopefully they keep Carr upright.

Patriots might go 16-0 again this year. I'm curious to see how the Butler drama ends. My guess: a first or a couple of 2nd round picks for the Pats. I don't want them to trade him to anyone remotely good- I'm fine with New Orleans.

I'd love to see Butler here but understand why he would have a big chip on his shoulder. Gilmore, a guy who while older, has been less impactful as a result of the botched Rex Ryan attempt of having a decent team.

I could see Butler being less critical of the Pats if they signed someone at another position. At the same time, its best for both parties if he accepts the tender, plays out the year, then hits FA and helps to set the new CB market. I think it all relies on Butler being able to "take it on the chin" this year and play like a pro. Nothing tells me he can't do that.

« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I would love to see Marshawn back. One of my favorite players on/off the field. Oakland has a nice core built with playmakers on both sides of the ball. It took em 15 years to rebuild but they're back. Hopefully they keep Carr upright.

Patriots might go 16-0 again this year. I'm curious to see how the Butler drama ends. My guess: a first or a couple of 2nd round picks for the Pats. I don't want them to trade him to anyone remotely good- I'm fine with New Orleans.

I'd love to see Butler here but understand why he would have a big chip on his shoulder. Gilmore, a guy who while older, has been less impactful as a result of the botched Rex Ryan attempt of having a decent team.

I could see Butler being less critical of the Pats if they signed someone at another position. At the same time, its best for both parties if he accepts the tender, plays out the year, then hits FA and helps to set the new CB market. I think it all relies on Butler being able to "take it on the chin" this year and play like a pro. Nothing tells me he can't do that.

Just an FYI, but Gilmore is a year younger than Butler. (Well half a year)
#JKJB

« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If Butler is worried about anything else but his own play, he'll have a hard time sticking with the Patriots. Just saying.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #216 on: March 17, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
If Butler doesn't want to play here, then let him sign elsewhere and collect that team's first round pick; it is really that easy. If no team will sign him, then he will have to play for us this year at a discounted price in a win-now situation for the Pats.

Simply trading him for the worst 1st round pick there is doesn't make any sense when you don't have to do that. I don't know too many Pats fans who would be bummed to have Butler back on a long-term deal so it's not like his services are undesired in NE. Bill has all of the leverage here.

Agreed. But Pats don't want a locker room issue (reportedly part of the reason they traded Jamie Collins part way through season). They would rather trade him for a 1st round pick now, rather than keep him a year, risk locker room issues, have him leave in FA next offseason and then maybe receive a 3rd round pick a year after that.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the way this plays out is that Butler is back on the Pats, on a slightly discounted deal that seems "fair" to him after he's been wined and dined by the Saints, and there is a happy marriage and productive career for him here in NE for the next 5 years.

But, reading the tea leaves, he is gone, and most likely outcome will be that the Pats get their own #32 pick back. Again, I don't prefer this outcome, but it is looking more likely than not.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't want to trade Garoppolo.

But JUST FOR FUN, what would you guys want back in a trade involving him from the Browns?

For me, something like #12, #33, 2017 6th rounder and that 2018 2nd rounder would be nice.

I would send the Browns JG10 + maybe a 2017 5th rounder.

What do you guys think?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

But JUST FOR FUN, what would you guys want back in a trade involving him from the Browns?

For me, something like #12, #33, 2017 6th rounder and that 2018 2nd rounder would be nice.

What do you guys think?

For a guy who will want $20 million to be a backup, I think you do that trade in a heartbeat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

What do you guys think?

For a guy who will want $20 million to be a backup, I think you do that trade in a heartbeat.

CBS Sports Site did a "mock draft/trade" and they proposed #12, BOTH Cleveland 2017 2nd rounders, and a 2018 2nd rounder for JUST Garoppolo. If that happened then it's hard to be disappointed honestly.

I think if the Pats extend JG10 it could be something like 5/75M with lesser in guarantees and more in incentives. Basically first few years with lower cap hits but then higher salaries in the later years also as TB12 calls it quits.

If they don't trade him now then there's no way Coach BB lets him walk for absolutely nothing after NEXT season.

« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

What do you guys think?

CBS Sports Site did a "mock draft/trade" and they proposed #12, BOTH Cleveland 2017 2nd rounders, and a 2018 2nd rounder for JUST Garoppolo. If that happened then it's hard to be disappointed honestly.

I think if the Pats extend JG10 it could be something like 5/75M with lesser in guarantees and more in incentives. Basically first few years with lower cap hits but then higher salaries in the later years also as TB12 calls it quits.

If they don't trade him now then there's no way Coach BB lets him walk for absolutely nothing after NEXT season.
No, they would franchise tag him and then trade him to the highest bidder. It would probably not be as good of a haul for the Pats, and would tie up their cap space during FA. OTOH, it would be nice to have him here as backup for Brady this upcoming season. It only takes one overly aggressive DE to ruin a QBs season....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

What do you guys think?

No, they would franchise tag him and then trade him to the highest bidder. It would probably not be as good of a haul for the Pats, and would tie up their cap space during FA. OTOH, it would be nice to have him here as backup for Brady this upcoming season. It only takes one overly aggressive DE to ruin a QBs season....

Yep. Would be a great back up in case, god forbid, TB12 goes down.

I think the Pats are going absolutely all-in for the next two seasons in the quest for #6.

But it's nice because they also have a ton of youth on this roster as well. Good balance.

« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Guys... I just realized. If the Pats do lose Blount this off season...

Then who is coming to all the Celtics home playoff games??  :o

(Besides maybe Gronk and Belichick 1 or 2 games)

« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Patriots might go 16-0 again this year.

I hope they don't. Not that I ever truly want them to lose, but there's something about losing a couple of games that hones a team's focus and spurs them to work harder on improving. Plus, I think the "quest for perfection" back in '07 took a huge toll on the team and, as we all saw, eventually caught up with them.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Patriots might go 16-0 again this year.

I hope they don't. Not that I ever truly want them to lose, but there's something about losing a couple of games that hones a team's focus and spurs them to work harder on improving. Plus, I think the "quest for perfection" back in '07 took a huge toll on the team and, as we all saw, eventually caught up with them.

True. On the other hand, it would be an incredible way for Brady to end his career.