Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47299 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd hate to lose Butler and Garapolo, but if Pats get #11 for MB and #12 and #33 for JG, it will be a boatload of fun watching BB making deals for more picks.

We would immediately trade those two picks for 17 6th round picks.

« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd hate to lose Butler and Garapolo, but if Pats get #11 for MB and #12 and #33 for JG, it will be a boatload of fun watching BB making deals for more picks.

We would immediately trade those two picks for 17 6th round picks.

This is a well-established fact. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The Pats WILL NOT get the #11 pick for MB. It will be the #32 pick, and maybe a late round pick.

But, I could see the #12 and #33 for JG.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Bill is back at it again.  Never ceases to amaze. 

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1254919-patriots-sign-former-bengals-running-back-rex-burkhead

Burkhead entered free agency after four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals as a highly underutilized - and thus, underrated - offensive weapon.

His ability both as a runner and as a receiver, either out of the backfield or split out wide, makes him everything the Patriots are looking for in potential playmakers at the position. He's also a well-established contributor on special teams.

Burkhead tallied 344 rushing yards, 145 receiving yards, and two touchdowns across 16 games in 2016.

A 5'10" white dude, former 6th round pick (Brady: 6th; Edelman: 7th), that is "versatilie," "underrated," and has been "underutilized."  Look forward to seeing this guy in the Pro Bowl in 2 years by way of Bill's genius.

The key here is "special teams."
He will probably be Brandon Bolden's replacement.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

The Pats WILL NOT get the #11 pick for MB. It will be the #32 pick, and maybe a late round pick.

So you are assuming MB will be a trade rather than a signing.  I guess that makes sense, but do you consider #32 and a 4th/5th rounder fair value for MB?  I'd rather have two top tier corners.  Why won't Bill pay him?

« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So you are assuming MB will be a trade rather than a signing.  I guess that makes sense, but do you consider #32 and a 4th/5th rounder fair value for MB?  I'd rather have two top tier corners.  Why won't Bill pay him?

Because they don't have to yet.  It's restricted free agency and, from most accounts, Butler has already turned down offers made by the Pats.     Since he's turned down offers, he's now playing by the rules of the collective bargaining agreement.  He's not an unrestricted free agent.  He's not there yet.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2017, 08:43:51 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

I don't see why Bill would accept #32 and a 4/5. If NO signs him in free agency, BB gets #11.

Mike

« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1254919-patriots-sign-former-bengals-running-back-rex-burkhead

Burkhead entered free agency after four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals as a highly underutilized - and thus, underrated - offensive weapon.

His ability both as a runner and as a receiver, either out of the backfield or split out wide, makes him everything the Patriots are looking for in potential playmakers at the position. He's also a well-established contributor on special teams.

Burkhead tallied 344 rushing yards, 145 receiving yards, and two touchdowns across 16 games in 2016.

A 5'10" white dude, former 6th round pick (Brady: 6th; Edelman: 7th), that is "versatilie," "underrated," and has been "underutilized."  Look forward to seeing this guy in the Pro Bowl in 2 years by way of Bill's genius.

Funny thing is, that's the type of signing that Ainge would make, also. Underutilized, undersized, versatile.

Of course, if DA did it, we'd rake him over the coals. :D

Mike

« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Funny thing is, that's the type of signing that Ainge would make, also. Underutilized, undersized, versatile.

Mike
When Ainge wins 5 rings I'm sure he'll get more benefit of the doubt.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

[dang] straight. Just struck me as funny.

Mike

« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I don't see why Bill would accept #32 and a 4/5. If NO signs him in free agency, BB gets #11.

Mike

Because otherwise MB won't sign. He'll be disgruntled, or hold out, or who knows what. The point is, there are three parties that can potentially gain: MB, Pats, Saints. Would the Pats like more? Yes. Would the Pats like to keep MB? I think yes, but probably depends on price. Would the Pats like compensation in some form if they are going to lose a star player? Yes.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
How much better is Gilmore than Butler?

Don't get me wrong but it seemed Gronk and our WRs torched Gilmore more often than not.

Yet Gilmore gets 5/65M. Butler isn't worth 10+M/Year at the least??

This is ridiculous. Just pay HT and Butler, Pats...

Can't believe it's even a possibility we lose both before next season. Unlikely but still possible.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Mike

Point taken.  Bill's track record with these moves just never ceases to amaze me.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
How much better is Gilmore than Butler?

Don't get me wrong but it seemed Gronk and our WRs torched Gilmore more often than not.

Yet Gilmore gets 5/65M. Butler isn't worth 10+M/Year at the least??

This is ridiculous. Just pay HT and Butler, Pats...

Can't believe it's even a possibility we lose both before next season. Unlikely but still possible.

I totally agree with you, especially given how much $$$ the Pats have available, and given that there is about 2 more years of Brady left (my guess). I'd go all in, if I was Pats/BB.

Instead, I think it is very likely that the Pats lose MB, and about 50-50 that the Pats lose Hightower.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
#JKJB