Author Topic: Ford 4.0  (Read 12611 times)

Re: Ford 4.0
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If there's disagreement about the top 3 it could help us in two ways. We might get the guy we want at a lower slot. Or, if we have #1 or #2 we can trade down a slot and still get who we want.

We might have to trade up a slot or two if other teams think the same thing, of course. But I think Danny will play things close to the vest, while some other GMs seem less shy about announcing their intentions.

Trading to move down a slot is basically impossible isn't it?

Celtics (#1): hey Lakers, we know you really want Ball so why don't you trade up to make sure you get him?

Lakers (#2): wait, why would you be trading down unless you didn't want Ball? We'll just pick him at #2.

Celtics: oh.

I think it goes like this:

Celtics (#1): Anyone picking in the top 3 who wants to trade up, make your best offer.

The key, as I think you identified, is not tipping your hand about who you want. I think Danny is very good at that sort of misdirection. No one knew we were picking Jaylen Brown last year, for example.

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Next year's starting 5:

IT
Butler
Brown
Jackson
Horford
Zizic.

Is the nba expanding the court's width to accomadate the new 6 on 6 format?  ;)
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Next year's starting 5:

IT
Butler
Brown
Jackson
Horford
Zizic.

Is the nba expanding the court's width to accomadate the new 6 on 6 format?

haha...I could blame my cell phone---but I just can't count..!

IT
Butler
Brown
Horford
Jackson

Zizic off the bench...Bradley and Crowder traded for Butler on draft night.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Lol zero chance teams take ball over Fultz unless that knee is career threatening.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'm in love with Justin Patton. I wish we had multiple first round picks in this draft. It's so amazing. Wonder if it's worth offering up Brooklyn 2018 for top 6 pick this year

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If there's disagreement about the top 3 it could help us in two ways. We might get the guy we want at a lower slot. Or, if we have #1 or #2 we can trade down a slot and still get who we want.

We might have to trade up a slot or two if other teams think the same thing, of course. But I think Danny will play things close to the vest, while some other GMs seem less shy about announcing their intentions.

Celtics (#1): hey Lakers, we know you really want Ball so why don't you trade up to make sure you get him?

Lakers (#2): wait, why would you be trading down unless you didn't want Ball? We'll just pick him at #2.

That actually happened a couple of places in the 2006 draft re Aldridge and Thomas, as well as Foy and Roy.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Continue to believe Danny is targeting Jackson. Just feel he will fit right in.

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Continue to believe Danny is targeting Jackson. Just feel he will fit right in.

Agreed---his type of player....we gotta get a top 3 pick.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That actually happened a couple of places in the 2006 draft re Aldridge and Thomas, as well as Foy and Roy.

Yes, and in 1993 when Orlando moved Webber (#1) for Penny (#3) and three first rounders.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

I think it goes like this:

Celtics (#1): Anyone picking in the top 3 who wants to trade up, make your best offer.

The key, as I think you identified, is not tipping your hand about who you want. I think Danny is very good at that sort of misdirection. No one knew we were picking Jaylen Brown last year, for example.

Ainge might not have tipped his hand to say we were picking Brown but everyone knew he was interested. He went to both of Cal's AZ trip games at the end of the year. Went to at least 2 other games. Powe was at a game.

I knew he was interested. Just dindt know if he would take him.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think the analysis of Tatum is really funny.

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I remember when Jarrett Allen was looking like he might have to stay a year more in college. Things sure have changed. He isn't in the lottery range yet but he is improving.

He's looked like a lottery pick to me, but probably not at the top where we're picking.  Top big man in the draft imo.

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I've been watching a bunch of Josh Jackson today and I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of him and Jaylen starting together as comb-forwards and laying waste to the league. Jaylen with his flattop and Jackson with that fro. Jackson is skinny but he seems wiry. He's also got the trifecta: high motor, high IQ, great athleticism. Get him to Crowder and Bradley's shot coach and call it a day.

Fultz is still the most impressive to me but I'd be happy if the Celtics wind up with Jackson. Maybe even over Ball.

My concern with Jackson is what they wrote above: I've always read that FT% is the best indicator of NBA field goal shooting.

Much as Danny likes the gritty guys who can't shoot, we need points.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Neither Ball nor Fultz have shot FT's particularly well either, both in the mid 60's.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Why do I get the feeling that this class is overhyped?