Author Topic: Objectively was 2016 the greatest year in sports history  (Read 3238 times)

Objectively was 2016 the greatest year in sports history
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
NCAAF - Alabama nips Clemson for the title in one of the best college football games ever

NFL - Peyton Manning goes out a champion

NCAAB - Villanova wins the title hitting a buzzer beater 3 (the first such in championship game history) in what was an instant classic

NBA - Warriors set a league record with 73 wins, but the Cavs come back from 3-1 down to beat the Warriors and to win the City of Cleveland's 1st major title since the 50's

MLB - Cubs come back from 3-1 down against Indians to break the 100+ year curse and continue the Indians drought from the 40's

Premier League - 5000 to 1 long shot, Leicaster City wins the title

Euro 2016 - Portugal beats host France (and Ronaldo secures his 4th player of the year), but Wales in the final 4 and Iceland beating England in the Round of 16 draw huge fan interest

Copa America - Chile outlasts Argentina in PK's to win, US takes 3rd

Olympics - Bolt, Phelps, Ledecky, Biles - continue their dominance with Bolt and Phelps calling it a career (and possibly Biles)

WTA - Serena Williams ties Steffi Graff for the most major wins at 22 (she broke the tie this year)

Rugby - the All Blacks continue their dominance winning 13 of 14, but the loss was to Ireland who hadn't beaten New Zealand in 111 years
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Objectively was 2016 the greatest year in sports history
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Everything on your list is good except Manning winning a championship.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Everything on your list is good except Manning winning a championship.

I think if you start at the NCAA men's basketball championship game from last year through today, it's the greastest stretch of championship series/games that we've ever seen.  That factors in both the college national championship game from this year and Super Bowl LI.

On a whole, without doing a deep dive into it, 2016 is certainly in at argument.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No. the super bowl sucked. The cubs win was historic and the 3-1 lead was nice but prior to the World Series the season had 0 intrigue. Chicago was the best wore to wire.

I thought Bama Clemson was 2017? 2016 natty was boring.

NBA was pretty unbelievable and NCAA was awesome. Same with EPL.

Problem is, football is king. It's not the greatest sports year ever unless the football season is unbelievable.

In a year with no World Cup, and a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty super bowl it's impossible to be the greatest year ever.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:09:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
No. the super bowl sucked. The cubs win was historic and the 3-1 lead was nice but prior to the World Series the season had 0 intrigue. Chicago was the best wore to wire.

Problem is, football is king. It's not the greatest sports year ever unless the football season is unbelievable.

In a year with no World Cup, and a ****ty super bowl it's impossible to be the greatest year ever.

Bama/Clemson were both years.  Both were solid games but '17 was better.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
'84 & '98 were other years that popped into my head. 

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In a year with no World Cup, and a ****ty super bowl it's impossible to be the greatest year ever.

Basically we are already off to an amazing start to 2017 with the Pats and Clemson wins. I agree that [American] football has to be weighted differently than other sports. Also, anything that comes to a game 7 or is a one game out. The endings to the NBA and NCAA Championships were fantastic in 2016, but Peyton cherrypicking a Super Bowl to end his career while Osweiler and the defense did all the heavy lifting is hardly what I would call great.

Note: The Super Bowl and College Football Championship were technically for the 2016 season. If we are to replace the ones that actually happened in the 2016 calendar year with Pats/Clemson, then I definitely would have to agree with Moranis.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:13:32 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the Broncos/Panthers Superbowl wasn't a great game, but it wasn't a bad game either and it certainly wasn't a tale of two halves like the Falcons/Patriots game was.  But when you add Peyton walking off into the sunset, it takes on a greater meaning (like if Brady would have walked away after the Falcons win). 

The 2016 Bama/Clemson game was won by Bama 45-40.  Clemson was up 24-21 entering the 4th and then it was just a points explosion with Bama outscoring Clemson 24-16 in the quarter.  Each team had around 500 yards, there was just 1 turnover and just 6 penalties combined and there was almost a dead even time of possession.  4 TD plays of over 50 yards (one kick return, one run, two passes).  It was a great game.  Really hard to say if this year or last year was the better game.  Both were great.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54

Basically we are already off to an amazing start to 2017 with the Pats and Clemson wins. I agree that [American] football has to be weighted differently than other sports. Also, anything that comes to a game 7 or is a one game out. The endings to the NBA and NCAA Championships were fantastic in 2016, but Peyton cherrypicking a Super Bowl to end his career while Osweiler and the defense did all the heavy lifting is hardly what I would call great.

Note: The Super Bowl and College Football Championship were technically for the 2016 season. If we are to replace the ones that actually happened in the 2016 calendar year with Pats/Clemson, then I definitely would have to agree with Moranis.
Wait what? I basically agree with everything you say other than osweiller having anything to do with their championship, he played a couple games mid to late in the regular season but Manning played all the playoffs and the majority of the regular season but either way it was their defense that won, which I actually prefer watching defensive football but I am probably in the minority there.

I do feel like 2016 was almost as good as it could have been but any year without the World Cup is an enormous handicap on a year in my opinion as that is the biggest sporting event in the world.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 02:57:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wait what? I basically agree with everything you say other than osweiller having anything to do with their championship, he played a couple games mid to late in the regular season but Manning played all the playoffs and the majority of the regular season but either way it was their defense that won, which I actually prefer watching defensive football but I am probably in the minority there.

I do feel like 2016 was almost as good as it could have been but any year without the World Cup is an enormous handicap on a year in my opinion as that is the biggest sporting event in the world.
No World Cup, but there was the Summer Olympics, the Euros, and the Copa America. 

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

the Broncos/Panthers Superbowl wasn't a great game, but it wasn't a bad game either and it certainly wasn't a tale of two halves like the Falcons/Patriots game was.  But when you add Peyton walking off into the sunset, it takes on a greater meaning (like if Brady would have walked away after the Falcons win). 

The 2016 Bama/Clemson game was won by Bama 45-40.  Clemson was up 24-21 entering the 4th and then it was just a points explosion with Bama outscoring Clemson 24-16 in the quarter.  Each team had around 500 yards, there was just 1 turnover and just 6 penalties combined and there was almost a dead even time of possession.  4 TD plays of over 50 yards (one kick return, one run, two passes).  It was a great game.  Really hard to say if this year or last year was the better game.  Both were great.
I thought it was the least entertaining super bowl in recent memory. Thats not Patriot bias either, I watched it with a collection of people from all over and all agreed that it was an absolute snooze.

2016 Bama Clemson was closer than I remembered looking back. That said, this years version was clearly better. I dont even think its a contest.

If you swap out 2016 Bama Clemson with 2017 Bama Clemson and Super Bowl 50 with Super Bowl 51 and I might agree.

That doesnt even take into account that the 2016 nfl regular season was incredibly boring.

A boring championship and a boring regular season in the biggest sport in America by far is a nonstarter for me.

Leicester winning the EPL was really cool, but it was more of a product of the EPL being really weak for me. Spain is where all the mega stars play. Thats where the real intrigue lies.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:21:59 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I actually thought Alabama's win was the better game, but it didn't have the last second TD for the win like Clemson's did.  And the fact that Scarborough got injured, I think ultimately changed the outcome of the game as Bama was up 10 and very much in control until Bo's injury.  A much less clean game as well, with a lot more penalties, an extra turnover, much worst 3rd percentages, a very imbalanced time possession, etc.