Author Topic: Draymond Green rips Knicks' quiet first half as 'pathetic'  (Read 3262 times)

Re: Draymond Green rips Knicks' quiet first half as 'pathetic'
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I hope teams actually use this against them now. Like the Cavs turn off the music whenever the GSW start going on a run.

I learn sum n every day , I believe I have noticed  instances of no music abruptly at Cavs games,  but never thought it was on purpose . Just thought , maybe the music guy was taking a break , or got lost watching ththe game .   

Very interesting.   Kinda weird, guess somebody has done a study on this and found out some useful info ? 

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It sounds like most of the players on both sides agreed it was weird and made the game less enjoyable, Green just articulated it more strongly. Not sure what the big deal is with his comments.

I think it is more about Draymond sounding off every topic and always feeling like he is super disrespected. If another player said that most people would think it was strange. I don't really see how trying a new marketing ploy at your own home stadium is "disrespectful." At this point Draymond plays for the team that has the most in prime superstar talent assembled in the modern era and him constantly whining about grievances is beyond tiresome.

See, what I think is going on here, and what I feel is evident in your response, is that people resent the Warriors for being stacked, so any complaints made by their players is regarded as them being spoiled.

Green is an outspoken player, but he's hardly the only one. If people weren't likely to be incensed by him specifically saying it, reporters probably wouldn't bother to take his quote.

Sometimes the quotes from Green are a little out there, but we had a guy on our team for a while who was frequently quoted and also widely disliked by opposing fans because of his on court demeanor. We, of course, loved him unconditionally. If Green were our guy, we'd love him, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
You know, not too long ago, all NBA games were played without in game music.

I'm curious though, did the Knicks explain what prompted them to try this out? It could have come from a survey of season ticket holders who said they don't like the in game music.

Apparently they announced during warm-ups that they wanted to give the fans a pure experience of the game without distractions, let them hear everything on the court.

It's a nice idea in theory but I can see how it'd be weird for the players if they're used to having music.

I actually like the idea and think more teams should do it. Go back to the game and the focus on only the game, the way it used to be. I know the Celtics have had several requests of that sort from season ticket holders. I imagine the Knicks have as well. Attending a live game has turned into a multimedia circus rather than a basketball game, which I guess is ok if your team sucks, but Celtics fans go there to see Celtics basketball, not to hear pop music blasting from the speakers and random videos and cheerleaders and parachutes dropping from he rafters etc. , and fake fan noise.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:59:47 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Been a long time since I posted, but this topic interests me. Why is the NBA the only pro sports league that has to have music and sound effects during the actual game being played? In fact, College sports do not have it either. Only the NBA.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Been a long time since I posted, but this topic interests me. Why is the NBA the only pro sports league that has to have music and sound effects during the actual game being played? In fact, College sports do not have it either. Only the NBA.

Exactly. Wasn't it also a rule at some point in the past that it wasn't allowed when the visiting team has the ball? It does distract from play calling and player to player and player to coach communications in general for both teams. They should prefer not to have it.

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly. Wasn't it also a rule at some point in the past that it wasn't allowed when the visiting team has the ball? It does distract from play calling and player to player and player to coach communications in general for both teams. They should prefer not to have it.

but without it, Draymond Green can't dance on the court while playing basketball

This crap all started first with the Toronto Raptors... and the rest of the league caught on

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

but without it, Draymond Green can't dance on the court while playing basketball

This crap all started first with the Toronto Raptors... and the rest of the league caught on

Yeah, poor Draymond has no excuse now to kick his legs up in a "dancing motion". Poor him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yeah, poor Draymond has no excuse now to kick his legs up in a "dancing motion". Poor him.

LOLLL

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Dray Dray getting cray cray.

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It sounds like most of the players on both sides agreed it was weird and made the game less enjoyable, Green just articulated it more strongly. Not sure what the big deal is with his comments.

I think it is more about Draymond sounding off every topic and always feeling like he is super disrespected. If another player said that most people would think it was strange. I don't really see how trying a new marketing ploy at your own home stadium is "disrespectful." At this point Draymond plays for the team that has the most in prime superstar talent assembled in the modern era and him constantly whining about grievances is beyond tiresome.

See, what I think is going on here, and what I feel is evident in your response, is that people resent the Warriors for being stacked, so any complaints made by their players is regarded as them being spoiled.

Green is an outspoken player, but he's hardly the only one. If people weren't likely to be incensed by him specifically saying it, reporters probably wouldn't bother to take his quote.

Sometimes the quotes from Green are a little out there, but we had a guy on our team for a while who was frequently quoted and also widely disliked by opposing fans because of his on court demeanor. We, of course, loved him unconditionally. If Green were our guy, we'd love him, too.

phosita I am a little surprised you would lump in KG (or any other player we had) with Green.
You are really downplaying this guys action over the last few years.

-repeatedly kicking other people in the groin region and acting like it was an accident. I don't like how they didn't suspend him against the Thunder, but did against the Cavs, but he was acting like a horrible sport doing that.
- sending out a picture of his junk to everyone (accidents happen... i guess, but with all of this stuff you stop giving the benefit of the doubt to the same guy)
- punching a guy/getting arrested for a bar fight in michigan (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2016/07/draymond_green_was_arrested_for_a_michigan_bar_fight_would_the_nba_give.html)

These are things in the last year so I am not going back 10 years on the guy...

You then add in multiple ejections and technicals, getting into it with Pierce etc. It is a LOT to compare him to KG and act like KG was as big a jerk as Green.

I don't like Green and I don't think I would love him if he was on the Celtics. I would root for him sure, but definitely don't think he is the kind of guy I would love.

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Nice to hear from you Vinnie.

I was watching a Celtics game recently and my daughter walked in and hard organ music playing.  I laughed when she asked "Do you think someone is actually playing the organ or is it recorded?".  I'm guessing it is indeed recorded, but I have very fond memories of John Kiley's organ music being the only sounds during Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox games.   Between all of the noise, jumbotron and smart phone it's a sensory overload that detracts from the game.  But apparently that's what they think people want.  I even get bothered by the advertisement strip around the rim of the balcony.  Depending upon what color the ad is the lighting of the four changes.  Really annoying...

God I sound old.  I like the seating and visibility in the  New Garden, but fur atmosphere and game  experience, give me the crappy old Garden any day.
Yup