Poll

Should Marcus Smart be in the discussion for 6moty?

Yes, he is the best bench player in the NBA. He should win.
3 (14.3%)
Yes, he should be top 5 but shouldnt win.
12 (57.1%)
No. He does not belong in the conversation.
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Should Marcus Smart be in the discussion for 6moty?  (Read 2539 times)

Should Marcus Smart be in the discussion for 6moty?
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He wont win, because the award is biased towards scoring combo- gaurds, but I think he is a top 5 bench player in the NBA.

Im curious what people think?

Williams and Gordon are ahead of him for sure, but who else? am I missing an obvious name?

Do Williams and Gordon get hurt by the fact that they are on the same team?

Where does Marcus fit in?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Should Marcus Smart be in the discussion for 6moty?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He wont win, because the award is biased towards scoring combo- gaurds, but I think he is a top 5 bench player in the NBA.

Williams and Gordon are ahead of him for sure, but who else? am I missing an obvious name?

Typically this award goes to a player that provides offense off the bench

Smart has a better chance to win a spot on the all defensive 2nd team

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:56:43 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a player off the bench as important to winning games on both sides of the ball as Smart, but I doubt if he gets any consideration whatsoever.

Generally, high scoring/volume scoring-type combo guards get the nod here, as evidenced by the last ten years worth of winners, which is chock-full of them: Jamal Crawford (3), Lou Williams, J.R. Smith, James Harden (OKC), Lamar Odom (outlier), Jason Terry, Manu Ginobli, Leandro Barbosa, and Mike Miller.

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Maybe should have put up this poll after one of Marcus's strong games--he was not particularly effective on either offense or defense tonight against Phoenix.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Maybe should have put up this poll after one of Marcus's strong games--he was not particularly effective on either offense or defense tonight against Phoenix.
I hope people dont read too much into one game.

I understand he wont win the award. As I mention, this award is pretty much the bench scorer of the year award, but I cant think of a bench player with as much of an impact as Marcus.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 02:10:01 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Basically just those guys.  Patty Mills and Z-Bo will probably get a few votes, can't really think of anyone else.  Pau would have been interesting if they moved him to second unit earlier, too late now though. 

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:55:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
He won't win because he doesn't have the stats to back it up. TMac was saying, after the Cavs win, how big of an impact Smart had on the game. He said he never knew how much Smart impacted winning. That's great and all but the fact that it took him over half a season to see it speaks volumes of how much media pays attention to stat guys.
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He won't win because he doesn't have the stats to back it up. TMac was saying, after the Cavs win, how big of an impact Smart had on the game. He said he never knew how much Smart impacted winning. That's great and all but the fact that it took him over half a season to see it speaks volumes of how much media pays attention to stat guys.
I imagine that's the general sentiment around Smart. People look at numbers and they look at highlights but there's just not enough time to watch every team most nights and a lot of "experts" who vote haven't witnessed what Smart brings to the table.

But in a couple of years, everyone will know.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I imagine that's the general sentiment around Smart. People look at numbers and they look at highlights but there's just not enough time to watch every team most nights and a lot of "experts" who vote haven't witnessed what Smart brings to the table.

Yeah in a couple years because he might be better at offense by then. Great role player. One of my favorite celtics on the team. But I'm also realistic.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am always amazed at how rarely defensive minded players get much attention compared to offensive ones. Kendrick Perkins seemed this way. I can't think of a defensive big that I would want more guarding a player within 3 feet of the basket then Perk and yet he hardly got any notice.

Another player who was even more important but wasn't even given another contract by his own championship team and that was James Posey. He really reminds me a lot of Smart. Both make intelligent plays on the defensive end especially and they both do it at just the right time. A timely steal and key bucket that may add up to only three points but kills the other teams momentum.

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah in a couple years because he might be better at offense by then. Great role player. One of my favorite celtics on the team. But I'm also realistic.
In a couple of years I do expect him to be at least slightly better on offense (even if that just means better shot selection) but I was more talking about the way a player has to establish a reputation. If you're not watching a lot of Celtic games you might not know just how important Smart is. If he keeps up his level of intensity and defense, in a few seasons, everyone will know what Celtic fans knows now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

In a couple of years I do expect him to be at least slightly better on offense (even if that just means better shot selection) but I was more talking about the way a player has to establish a reputation. If you're not watching a lot of Celtic games you might not know just how important Smart is. If he keeps up his level of intensity and defense, in a few seasons, everyone will know what Celtic fans knows now.

Reputations are built in the playoffs. Hopefully by next year, people will take note of Smart.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 09:30:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Marcus Smart had his best games in the starting lineup.  ::) ::) He has also started more than a third of his games so far. That'd be a no, I guess?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."