Author Topic: We need player who doesn't take plays off  (Read 5383 times)

Re: We need player who doesn't take plays off
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
this is what you get with a roster full of role players and no star.

they play on emotion and hustle... ya can't do that every night, it's impossible, some nights a star picks up the slack and good ole talent prevails. this is why this team(like Atlanta) gets referred to as a "regular season team". that's why when this team gets in the playoffs no matter who they play or what their seeding is it's not going to be easy and they could lose in any round.
Completely agree with you.  I don't care much where we finish in the regular season as long as we won't play the Cavs until the ECF.  Home court would be a plus but it is not going to make up for our lack of stars.

Winning turns role-players into stars. Was Havlicek an All-Star during Russell's prime? Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton were never considered stars until they have won it all too.

There's the fallacy of needing many stars to win it all. Hakeem only needed Robert Horry, Sam Cassell and Vernon Maxwell and Kenny Smith. Without Russell, I doubt guys like Satch Sanders would even be a HOF'er. We need talent, yes. But talent without chemistry spells disaster. It doesn't matter how many all-star we have. It they don't fit well together, those talent are pretty much useless.

I get that post season is more important than the regular season. But they have alot to prove. They bounced in the first round in the last two years. They haven't earn the rights to take a day-off as they haven't proven themselves yet. If they were veteran teams who need rests during the regular season, its reasonable. If you are one of the best young upcoming team, no excuse.
Who said we didn't need chemistry?  Chemistry starts with the stars too.  Hakeem was an all-time great.  IT is a fringe star.  He's closer to a role player than he is to Hakeem.  IT is Allen not Pierce or Garnett.  We're a very good situation for IT.  If he goes to another team, there is a good chance his stardom fades.   

All players (except those riding the bench) need rest and recovery during the regular season.  It is often a brutal schedule.  Young players aren't immune to it.  Anyway, I wouldn't consider us a young team based on actual playing time. 

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Edit

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We are a small team that gets bullied by bigger players.
And Brad always goes small, never big.
Just like Doc Rivers.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This team is very inconsistent as far as effort is concerned.

I think it comes down to making shots.  When they struggle to shoot, they get the "here we go again" mentality.  Then they don't play defense.

Sometimes you have to give the other team credit.  Denver is a really good offensive team and is a bad matchup for the Celtics.  The Cs needed to play really well offensively to match them and it wasn't one of those nights.

Oh well - beat Chicago and off we go.

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Just like Doc Rivers.

In all honesty, we do not have a big ball lineup.   Some of our bigs are pure finesse guys.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Just like Doc Rivers.

In all honesty, we do not have a big ball lineup.   Some of our bigs are pure finesse guys.
Amir and Horford together is what I was referring to.
Sometimes we need that in the fourth quarter.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
This team is very inconsistent as far as effort is concerned.

I think it comes down to making shots.  When they struggle to shoot, they get the "here we go again" mentality.  Then they don't play defense.

Sometimes you have to give the other team credit.  Denver is a really good offensive team and is a bad matchup for the Celtics.  The Cs needed to play really well offensively to match them and it wasn't one of those nights.

Oh well - beat Chicago and off we go.

yup! that has been a theme with this team since brad's 1st yr.

also i'll reiterate something I've mentioned before "either the roster doesn't fit the coaching style or the coaching style doesn't fit the roster".

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
problem is now we need Washington to lose.

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Bottom line is, the NBA season  is to long and very demanding not to mention the travel..

Core players such as Big Al and others need rest. Spurs have always rested players now u see the Warriors and others not playing starters every game..

Rest.. The playoffs this year will tell you where this franchise is as a Championship contender going forward

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
When IT is not having a 30-35 point effort, he is unable to offset by playing effective defense, he is a defensive liability. That said, he Celtics don't have that players that can pick him up.

This team has some good parts, but we're missing players that can get you 25-30, besides IT. The contenders we compete against have those guy's. We need help, wether we keep IT or not.

We need to come to the realization that Al Horford is a nice player, but a poor rebounder that doesn't block out in the paint. He has other nice traits but rebounding isn't one. He needs help, so he can just be Al Horford and play to his strengths of which are positive.

Hat's off to Amir Johnson, for being an undersized players pounding against the opposing teams giants, and not complaining about it.