Author Topic: Celtics (40-22) at Suns (20-42) Game #63 3/5/17  (Read 56488 times)

Re: Celtics (40-22) at Suns (20-42) Game #63 3/5/17
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Must win game
The next game is always "must win"   ;)

A win means this team is who we thought they were, not better.

A loss means they are not consistent enough (yet) to be who we thought they could be.

I disagree with your last statement.  The consensus preseason projection around these parts was 53-55 regular season wins, and maybe the 2nd seed in the conference.  We're on pace for both of those marks.  Teams that have such seasons lose a few games a year to teams like Phoenix.  For example, Phoenix this season has already beaten the Hawks, Spurs, and swept the Raptors.

Winning this game would be nice, because it would make achieving our regular season goals more likely, but I don't expect to take away much new information unless it's a blowout (15-point margin) in either direction.
I'm not talking about win totals or seeding.  A loss this afternoon would tell me this team is not consistent enough.  I feel like they already had some losses to inferior teams.  Heading towards the playoffs, that kind of stuff has to stop.

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Must win game
The next game is always "must win"   ;)

A win means this team is who we thought they were, not better.

A loss means they are not consistent enough (yet) to be who we thought they could be.

I disagree with your last statement.  The consensus preseason projection around these parts was 53-55 regular season wins, and maybe the 2nd seed in the conference.  We're on pace for both of those marks.  Teams that have such seasons lose a few games a year to teams like Phoenix.  For example, Phoenix this season has already beaten the Hawks, Spurs, and swept the Raptors.

Winning this game would be nice, because it would make achieving our regular season goals more likely, but I don't expect to take away much new information unless it's a blowout (15-point margin) in either direction.
I'm not talking about win totals or seeding.  A loss this afternoon would tell me this team is not consistent enough.  I feel like they already had some losses to inferior teams.  Heading towards the playoffs, that kind of stuff has to stop.

Yeah, I guess my argument is that you should expect a couple more losses to inferior teams the rest of the way, because that's pretty common for almost every good team every year.  Even Golden State, who only lost all of 9 games last season before making the NBA finals lost to Minnesota in April (when they were still trying to win), and to the Lakers in early March.  I feel you've set unreasonable expectations, and will wind up more disappointed, or making more pessimistic conclusions, than you need to be.

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I wouldn't say this is a dire must-win game, but this is the first game of a back to back, and then we play Clippers tomorrow night, then Warriors Wednesday night (ugh), and then Nuggets Friday. None of those three are easy opponents at all.

Also, if we want to show some consistency, we need to leave here with a win. Period.

Having a few great games and then losing to the Suns now isn't a good showing.

I said before the trip that going 3-2 on this WC trip would be great. So far, 1-0, and after tonight, 2-0 hopefully. Then as long as we can take a game against LAC or DEN at least, that's a 3-2 trip.

Even without KD, Warriors will be extremely tough to beat. But hey, we did it last year so who knows?

Knowing the C's though, they'll probably lose tonight but win against Golden State  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I wouldn't say this is a dire must-win game, but this is the first game of a back to back, and then we play Clippers tomorrow night, then Warriors Wednesday night (ugh), and then Nuggets Friday. None of those three are easy opponents at all.

Also, if we want to show some consistency, we need to leave here with a win. Period.

Having a few great games and then losing to the Suns now isn't a good showing.

I said before the trip that going 3-2 on this WC trip would be great. So far, 1-0, and after tonight, 2-0 hopefully. Then as long as we can take a game against LAC or DEN at least, that's a 3-2 trip.

Even without KD, Warriors will be extremely tough to beat. But hey, we did it last year so who knows?

Knowing the C's though, they'll probably lose tonight but win against Golden State  :laugh:

Oddly enough, I think you're right.  In fact if we're going to split those two games, I'd prefer that outcome, getting a win against an elite team matters more to me than having a stinker against a bad team.  Rooting for a 5-0 road trip though.

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
 Boston Celtics‏Verified account @celtics 3m3 minutes ago

Jaylen Brown and Jonas Jerebko will replace Bradley and Horford in the starting lineup.

#NEBHInjuryReport: Avery Bradley (hamstring tweak) and Al Horford (elbow sprain) will not play today in Phoenix.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Jaylen Brown and Jonas Jerebko will replace Bradley and Horford in the starting lineup.

#NEBHInjuryReport: Avery Bradley (hamstring tweak) and Al Horford (elbow sprain) will not play today in Phoenix.

We can't have nice things this year, apparently.  Hopefully it's just a single day's rest (although I doubt it with AB.)

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Its like these injuries never end

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
whats the saying? availability is the best ability?

A hamstring strain isnt too surprising after a long time off. Not too worrying.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Word is Bradley is just out tonight and will play tomorrow.  Probably wasn't playing back to backs anyways.  Horford is shot term but will miss a few.  At least we should get to see even more Jaylen. 

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

We can't have nice things this year, apparently.  Hopefully it's just a single day's rest (although I doubt it with AB.)

AB expects to play tomorrow

Quote from: Adam Himmelsbach
Avery Bradley says both hamstrings are sore, but plan was to play one game of this back to back all along. He'll play vs Clippers tomorrow.

I'd be more worried about Al, he tends to take his time when returning from injuries (although for the record I'm not worried about either of them)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Uh oh. We're in trouble.

We lost our two best rebounders for tonight  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I really like these afternoon games.

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Its like these injuries never end

Cleveland has Love and Smith out.  Toronto has Lowry out.  Durant is out.  Paul and Griffen have been out.  It's a fact of life in the NBA.  Fortunately we have great depth and the drop off isn't as great as a team that is more "Star" based.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I really like these afternoon games.

Me TOO !

Sleep tonight .....ahhhhh yes

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen