Author Topic: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread (UPDATE: Staying With Clippers)  (Read 13875 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
At this point wouldn't we rather have Hayward?

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I would honestly be perfectly fine with either Hayward or Griffin.

Thing is Griffin fills a bit of a bigger need and overall helps this front court more.

To get a max signing, we lose Amir/KO/Jerebko/Zeller, as well as Mickey. They may not be elite level but that's a great chunk of our depth at 4/5 positions.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Thing is Griffin fills a bit of a bigger need and overall helps this front court more.

To get a max signing, we lose Amir/KO/Jerebko/Zeller, as well as Mickey. They may not be elite level but that's a great chunk of our depth at 4/5 positions.

Yeah Griffin is a better fit, but if I was GM, I would only sign him if I couldn't get another max guy. I don't think he will stay healthy. His situation reminds me of Amare transitioning to the Knicks

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah Griffin is a better fit, but if I was GM, I would only sign him if I couldn't get another max guy. I don't think he will stay healthy. His situation reminds me of Amare transitioning to the Knicks

Blake is younger and would have a shorter deal.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 06:57:27 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney

Yeah I understand that, but his knees are about to give out imo. We'll see what Ainge does. If we sign him then it's not an issue because Ainge is smart with that stuff.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:03:23 PM by tankcity! »

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Yeah I understand that, but his knees are about to give out imo. We'll see what Ainge does. If we sign him then it's not an issue because Ainge is smart with that stuff.

That whole Pomeranz situation really bugged me last year.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

That whole Pomeranz situation really bugged me last year.

Pomeranz of the Red Sox?

Yeah and the fact that we gave up a top prospect (#14 in all of baseball) for him bugs me even more. Complete overpay..

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Griffin had 23 points and 8 rebounds last night.

Looked dominant against an undersized Cleveland team last night.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He's 2 years older than Hayward which is why Hayward makes more sense for a max deal. He'd only be 30 at the end of a 4 year deal.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Griffin had 23 points and 8 rebounds last night.

Looked dominant against an undersized Cleveland team last night.

Undersized and no chemistry without the big 3. That game was an exhibition and we probably shouldn't read into it any more than that.

I'm definitely pro Griffin though. Think he's a better fit with Isaiah than CP3 to be honest since Isaiah doesn't pound the rock as much as Paul and could benefit off ball from Griffin's playmaking. Jordan's also a bit of a weird fit since even though he cover's up Griffin's defensive shortcomings he also clogs up all the area around the basket on offense. If Horford's matched up with a shot blocker Al's shooting would pull him out of the paint freeing Blake to operate around the rim.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Blake Griffin averaging 24/6/4 his last 10 games.

You have to think if another second round exit (or even first round exit) would make him think hard about leaving LAC.

That team just looks so "middle of the pack" despite all the talent they have.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I disagree with Stephen A. Smith on a lot of things LOL.

But I'm starting to think he's dead on right about Blake Griffin.

He's a star, but certainly no superstar, and he seems to disappear in the big moments of playoff games.

He had 26 points and 7 rebounds last night, BUT seemed to disappear completely near the end when the Clips needed him most, and was fairly lousy on defense.

And that's been the case for years now.

Yes, others on the team should step up too (like Jordan), but the way the Clips are, CP3 needs to essentially take over every single game to win it seems (in close contests).

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So do we still want to take the risk with Blake on a 4-year max, given his injury history and what not? Seems really risky.

Of course that's assuming he even tests the waters. (Could easily just stay put)

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Potential franchise-crippling gamble. Would set us back 5 years, at least, ifwhen he gets injured.

Say no to Blake. Love his game and his fit with Stevens' system and him as a player/person, but the difference in talent/fit compared to Hayward/Millsap is not worth the injury risk inevitability.

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
At this point I'm not sure I'd sign either of them. We have to give up a lot to get either. We massively constrain ourselves in the future as well.

I'd be leaning towards renegotiating Isaiah's contract and then looking at a trade for Paul George. Then re-sign KO. All should be doable under the cap and we come into next year strong.