Author Topic: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread (UPDATE: Staying With Clippers)  (Read 13874 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Apologies in advance if there is already a thread like this on here. But I couldn't find one.

In the month of February, Blake averaged 26.2 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 6.2 ASG on 51% shooting, and he shot 80% from the FT line.

At this point, it's best to hope he does well but the Clippers lose more often than not, and then hopefully have a first round exit to hope he entertains the idea of leaving in FA. Then enter Ainge and Boston knocking on his door.

CP3 "verbally committing" to LAC already doesn't help us in that regard, but hey maybe things change in the next 2-3 months.

And to start, tonight the Clippers play against the Bulls at 8:30 on ABC. We'll see how Griffin does in that game.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:33:21 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
If we sign Blake Griffin I will become delirious with joy.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:18:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Same. Griffin + Fultz/Ball/Jackson? Sign me up!

Wonder where we get some depth for our front court though.

That would be Blake, Horford, Zizic, then who?

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
In 18 minutes, Griffin has 8 points, 4 assists, and 2 rebounds.

One thing I'm noticing is that with DeAndre Jordan out there, he clogs up the paint and Griffin can't do much. Not the ideal system for Blake at LAC.

Put him here in Boston with this system and oh boy.

The passing, the cuts to the hoop, all the pick and rolls, and rebounding.

Hopefully CBS can get him some plays and get him to work on posting up more. He's an underrated mid range shooter.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:00:17 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
In 18 minutes, Griffin has 8 points and 4 rebounds.

One thing I'm noticing is that with DeAndre Jordan out there, he clogs up the paint and Griffin can't do much.

Hopefully CBS can get him some plays and get him to work on posting up more. He's an underrated mid range shooter

I wish he still had his 23 yr old knees and could play with the C's... It would be freaking nuts.

It'd basically be the NBA dunk contest with a help defender every now and then getting posterized.

Which btw would be kinda fun. A Posterization style dunk contest. The top 20 rim protectors in the NBA have to wear uniforms and the dunkers get to call them out and specify their dunk parameters.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
In 18 minutes, Griffin has 8 points and 4 rebounds.

One thing I'm noticing is that with DeAndre Jordan out there, he clogs up the paint and Griffin can't do much.

Hopefully CBS can get him some plays and get him to work on posting up more. He's an underrated mid range shooter

I wish he still had his 23 yr old knees and could play with the C's... It would be freaking nuts.

It'd basically be the NBA dunk contest with a help defender every now and then getting posterized.

Which btw would be kinda fun. A Posterization style dunk contest. The top 20 rim protectors in the NBA have to wear uniforms and the dunkers get to call them out and specify their dunk parameters.

Yep it's disappointing really. The injury really took the "spice" out of his game (meaning the long hops, the ferocious dunks).

If he stays healthy though he's still a star.

For this team though I would love his dunking and rebounding. Also with the ability to stretch the floor, switch and run pick and rolls with night in and night out. A versatile 4/5.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:42:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I think Kelly Olynyk's cap hold gets in the way of max cap space, but that's with the assumption Zizic, Yabu, and Nader are on the roster next year.  Although I've read somewhere that all 3 could be left off the roster for another year if a letter is written to the league.  If so maybe Kelly's cap hold won't get in the way, and we could re-sign him after Blake.  I'm not really sure though.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think Kelly Olynyk's cap hold gets in the way of max cap space, but that's with the assumption Zizic, Yabu, and Nader are on the roster next year.  Although I've read somewhere that all 3 could be left off the roster for another year if a letter is written to the league.  If so maybe Kelly's cap hold won't get in the way, and we could re-sign him after Blake.  I'm not really sure though.

Kelly gets in the way, period.  Nader doesn't have a cap hold.  Depending what pick we'd get from Brooklyn we'd need to have one or both of Yab and Zizic stay overseas in addition to letting Olynyk walk to have room for Griffin, or make another trade instead.  But Kelly going is the most likely if we get Blake.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:44:37 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Blake seems like such a Stevens system guy too, I think Hayward isn't much of an upgrade over Crowder given he'll demand a max deal, so IMO Griffin is the best available free agent this offseason.

Horford/FA/Zizic
Griffin/Olynyk/Mickey
Crowder/Jackson/Green
Bradley/Brown/FA
Thomas/Smart/Rozier

D-League: Yabusele, 2017 2nd round pick

Great team capable of competing for a title
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:52:22 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't see Griffin as a viable option. He'll be back in LA if they want him and Doc will keep running that same team back until the wheels finally explode.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:59:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's entirely possible that Blake makes a move East this summer if the Clips fail to make it past the second round again.

I'd be concerned about giving him a long term max deal though. Really not sure how many full seasons and playoffs you'd get out of him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 03:57:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I think it's entirely possible that Blake makes a move East this summer if the Clips fail to make it past the second round again.

I'd be concerned about giving him a long term max deal though. Really not sure how many full seasons and playoffs you'd get out of him.

I think you'd also want to have fairly lengthy conversations about how he would see his role.

Those rebounding numbers are not elite (and have never been by the way...)

I guess you do it if Blake is keen and willing. Seems like any FAs who choose Boston are there primarily for basketball reasons..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't see Griffin as a viable option. He'll be back in LA if they want him and Doc will keep running that same team back until the wheels finally explode.

That's the prevailing notion, but while it's likely that's the case, I didn't imagine Horford would leave and neither would KD (at least for this season). But they did, and part of it was due to the playoff series each player went through, and the new situations they entered.

Obviously I'm not guaranteeing he leaves and comes here, but I would still assume it's a possibility, even if a small one.

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think you'd also want to have fairly lengthy conversations about how he would see his role.

Those rebounding numbers are not elite (and have never been by the way...)

I guess you do it if Blake is keen and willing. Seems like any FAs who choose Boston are there primarily for basketball reasons..

He's obviously no Drummond or D. Jordan type rebounder, but he's still someone who could get 10-11 rebounds a game, and here in Boston he would get just that. Easily would be our best rebounder on the team.

Also, with him and Horford being able to switch well and run the PnR very well, he definitely fits the system.

But yeah, like all FA's, there are some risks involved, which includes injury history.

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 06:27:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Last meeting on Super Bowl Sunday, we impressed Blake but Blake didn't impress us.

Lets see what happens tonight.