Author Topic: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread (UPDATE: Staying With Clippers)  (Read 13877 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I have no idea if it is possible, but I would much rather have both Greg Monroe and Rudy Gay than either Hayward or Griffin.

We are really small and getting two high end role players at the 3-5 could be the answer.

Really? Explain why. I would love to hear your thoughts, also TP for being a new member, welcome, welcome! I mean Griffin, I can understand due to injury concerns, but why Gay?

Well, I subscribe to the school of thought that we need a mix of players at different points in their careers to get a sustained winning team. We are going to lose depth at the 4 and 5 this offseason either through our older players getting worn down or free agency or retirement. We are going to need to address that somehow. This draft doesn't seem to have a center or power forward worth taking in the top 4, so trades and free agency are the options. Monroe isn't as good as Hayward or Griffin, but he rebounds and passes well and is likely a good system fit.

Rudy Gay is a good player who already got overpaid once. He can play either forward position. He got traded a few times for his contract mainly. He is likely to have a chip on his shoulder from that and everyone calling him overpaid. To me that sounds like someone who could be a good fit.

Trying to get good vets now and stars from our draft picks isn't the worst idea. The veterans pass on knowledge and the new guys get better than they would have otherwise. In the meantime something like

Thomas
Bradley
Gay
Horford
Monroe

with a bench mob of
Crowder, Smart, Rozier, Brown, BKL '17, Olynyk, Zizic, Yabusele, Jackson, Nader (you probably can't keep Olynyk without a trade, so the bench is probably wishful thinking)

would have an outside shot and be fun to watch while still being in compete soon mode.

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I have no idea if it is possible, but I would much rather have both Greg Monroe and Rudy Gay than either Hayward or Griffin.

We are really small and getting two high end role players at the 3-5 could be the answer.

Really? Explain why. I would love to hear your thoughts, also TP for being a new member, welcome, welcome! I mean Griffin, I can understand due to injury concerns, but why Gay?

Well, I subscribe to the school of thought that we need a mix of players at different points in their careers to get a sustained winning team. We are going to lose depth at the 4 and 5 this offseason either through our older players getting worn down or free agency or retirement. We are going to need to address that somehow. This draft doesn't seem to have a center or power forward worth taking in the top 4, so trades and free agency are the options. Monroe isn't as good as Hayward or Griffin, but he rebounds and passes well and is likely a good system fit.

Rudy Gay is a good player who already got overpaid once. He can play either forward position. He got traded a few times for his contract mainly. He is likely to have a chip on his shoulder from that and everyone calling him overpaid. To me that sounds like someone who could be a good fit.

Trying to get good vets now and stars from our draft picks isn't the worst idea. The veterans pass on knowledge and the new guys get better than they would have otherwise. In the meantime something like

Thomas
Bradley
Gay
Horford
Monroe

with a bench mob of
Crowder, Smart, Rozier, Brown, BKL '17, Olynyk, Zizic, Yabusele, Jackson, Nader (you probably can't keep Olynyk without a trade, so the bench is probably wishful thinking)

would have an outside shot and be fun to watch while still being in compete soon mode.

You need stars to win in this league, that's just a fact. You can win with "depth" in the regular season but you need stars in the postseason.

Also, Rudy Gay is coming off of a torn Achilles. I think any team that signs him next will have to expect him to be a shell of his former self in year 1.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
You need stars to win in this league, that's just a fact. You can win with "depth" in the regular season but you need stars in the postseason.

Also, Rudy Gay is coming off of a torn Achilles. I think any team that signs him next will have to expect him to be a shell of his former self in year 1.

Didn't know about the torn Achilles, that isn't good.

I figure the easiest way to get stars is the Brooklyn picks. We do need stars, but the new CBA combined with the new lower cap estimate is messing up our cap space, so it requires either relying on a lot of rookies or making fair trades for them or to clear cap space to get them from free agency.

Draft and develop requires both luck and skill to work out, but it might be our best option.

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Going to bump this up.

I'm surprised at the complete lack of Griffin rumors the past month (before today's "small rumor").

Like we've even heard some Hayward news with him being tied to Utah (obviously), Boston, Spurs and Heat.

But I've yet to see a single Griffin rumor LOL. Not even many tweets about him.

Made me think he's 110% staying BUT who knows?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 06:51:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
CP3 will meet with Denver and Houston, and I'm sure San Antonio will be involved too (even if just to "sniff out" the interest and see if there's any chance it works).

Griffin's entire FA could come down to CP3's decision.

Something to monitor.

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
CP3 will meet with Denver and Houston, and I'm sure San Antonio will be involved too (even if just to "sniff out" the interest and see if there's any chance it works).

Something to monitor.
I think it will for sure.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Something to monitor.

I don't think that's the sole determination, though. I could still see him leaving if Paul resigns, but it's hard seeing him stay if Paul leaves.

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 10:50:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Something to monitor.

I don't think that's the sole determination, though. I could still see him leaving if Paul resigns, but it's hard seeing him stay if Paul leaves.

It depends. I mean if CP3 stays and Clippers offer him the 5-year max (which would be stupid, honestly), he's DEFINITELY staying. If they try to lowball him, maybe he does reconsider.

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently, Isaiah Thomas just followed Blake Griffin about 15 minutes ago...  :o (Instagram)

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 01:45:47 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Apparently, Isaiah Thomas just followed Blake Griffin about 15 minutes ago...  :o (Instagram)
lol he followed Hayward the other day

Dannys plan has been uncovered

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 03:22:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/21/isaiah-thomas-is-once-again-inciting-nba-free-agency-rumors-on-social-media

On the eve of the 2017 NBA Draft with Celtics trade rumors swirling, Isaiah Thomas is adding fuel to the fire with his latest activity on social media.

According to a tweet by ESPN’s Chris Forsberg, Thomas has followed Clippers power forward Blake Griffin on Instagram.
The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski recently identified Griffin as one of two “primary free-agent targets” for the Celtics.

The other player named by Wojnarowski was Gordon Hayward — who Thomas followed, and then unfollowed, on Instagram earlier in June.

Griffin ultimately followed Thomas back a few hours later on Wednesday.

P.S. - I know this doesn't mean anything, but a girl can dream!

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/21/isaiah-thomas-is-once-again-inciting-nba-free-agency-rumors-on-social-media

On the eve of the 2017 NBA Draft with Celtics trade rumors swirling, Isaiah Thomas is adding fuel to the fire with his latest activity on social media.

According to a tweet by ESPN’s Chris Forsberg, Thomas has followed Clippers power forward Blake Griffin on Instagram.
The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski recently identified Griffin as one of two “primary free-agent targets” for the Celtics.

The other player named by Wojnarowski was Gordon Hayward — who Thomas followed, and then unfollowed, on Instagram earlier in June.

Griffin ultimately followed Thomas back a few hours later on Wednesday.

P.S. - I know this doesn't mean anything, but a girl can dream!

Wait what? He unfollowed Hayward...  :o

What about Horford? Is he still following Hayward? Did he follow Griffin?

Excuse me while I fake a panic attack in class to excuse myself and investigate this matter more  :laugh:

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
IT just followed Porzingis and unfollowed Crowder, #BKN17 and #LAL18!

Wait, how does this Twitter thing work?

All, relax, IT is taking pleasure in screwing around with us.

Mike

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
IT just followed Porzingis and unfollowed Crowder, #BKN17 and #LAL18!

Wait, how does this Twitter thing work?

All, relax, IT is taking pleasure in screwing around with us.

Mike

Im ignorant on twitter and instagram. How do you know if a person unfollowed or followed someone?

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I swear IT is just trolling people  ;D