Author Topic: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread (UPDATE: Staying With Clippers)  (Read 13961 times)

Re: 2016-2017 Blake Griffin Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
There are a couple of things to consider about Griffin:

1. His injuries. This almost goes without saying but any team that gives him the max is taking a massive gamble. Griffin has played 66% of his teams games the past 3 years. So when you're giving him the max the payment per game is well above the max. It's a lot easier to swallow missed games when we're giving someone like Avery Bradley $8m a year rather than $30m a year. If Griffin blows another knee, that's a killer to the cap and any hopes of a title.

2. While he's a massive upgrade, he may not be what the Cs need. Horford would rather play PF than C and neither guy is a real banger inside. While I am sure Brad can make it work I'm not it's the best fit for the team.

In Danny I Trust so if they decide to make a play for him in FA I won't be crying. But if they don't I understand why.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I agree.

As much as I like Griffin's game when healthy, he's just not healthy enough to warrant a major investment.

Seems like a better move to me to just go acquire a rebounder to put alongside Super Al.

And, of course, another scorer.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I agree.

As much as I like Griffin's game when healthy, he's just not healthy enough to warrant a major investment.

Seems like a better move to me to just go acquire a rebounder to put alongside Super Al.

I'm not sure we have enough cap space to add both a scorer and a rebounder. Can you pick one from each list that you would rather have than Blake?

Personally, I'd rather have the upside of Blake than two of the guys listed below.

Here are some of the best rebounders available.
1. Monroe
2. Aron Baynes
3. Mason Plumlee
4. Zach Randolph
5. Taj Gibson
6. JaMychal Green
7. Andrew Bogut
8. Alex Len
9. Alan Williams
10. Tiago Splitter

Scorers
1. Gallinari
2. Reddick
3. Gay
4. Waiters
5. Patty Mills
6. Korver
7. Hardaway
8. Tyreke Evans
9. Langston Galloway
10. Nick Young.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wouldn't sleep on us getting Zach Randolph on a manageable deal. Also, his three point shooting and shot selection will make Marcus Smart look a lot better  8).

Also, I hope this list is in "no particular order", because Randolph is certainly better than Monroe and Plumlee in the rebounding department.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The problem with "Blake isn't worth the max" is that if we don't use the money this summer we lose it. In the context where the options are essentially Hayward, Griffin, Milsap, Favors, Gallinari, Ibaka, or nobody, I am all in on Blake as second choice.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I wouldn't sleep on us getting Zach Randolph on a manageable deal. Also, his three point shooting and shot selection will make Marcus Smart look a lot better  8).

Also, I hope this list is in "no particular order", because Randolph is certainly better than Monroe and Plumlee in the rebounding department.
It's in no particular order. I tried to keep players off the list that would be too expensive for us to get one from each list but Gallo, Waiters and a couple others might be too expensive for that.

The point of the list was to show how I'd rather have Blake, Hayward or Millsap than two guys from the list.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The problem with "Blake isn't worth the max" is that if we don't use the money this summer we lose it. In the context where the options are essentially Hayward, Griffin, Milsap, Favors, Gallinari, Ibaka, or nobody, I am all in on Blake as second choice.
I have some reservations about Griffin's health but when he's on the court he'd provide a serious upgrade in our front court.  of the list you mentioned, I think Hayward and Favors are unlikely to move from Utah.  Milsap would be a nice addition but he's getting up there in age.  Gallinari has his own health issues and his D has been suspect.  Ibaka's another age concern as well as a declining game. 

everyone other than the Utah duo is a possible signing but comes with an issue that cannot be overlooked. 

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I agree.

I'm not sure we have enough cap space to add both a scorer and a rebounder. Can you pick one from each list that you would rather have than Blake?

Personally, I'd rather have the upside of Blake than two of the guys listed below.

Here are some of the best rebounders available.
1. Monroe
2. Aron Baynes
3. Mason Plumlee
4. Zach Randolph
5. Taj Gibson
6. JaMychal Green
7. Andrew Bogut
8. Alex Len
9. Alan Williams
10. Tiago Splitter

Scorers
1. Gallinari
2. Reddick
3. Gay
4. Waiters
5. Patty Mills
6. Korver
7. Hardaway
8. Tyreke Evans
9. Langston Galloway
10. Nick Young.

I'm not locked in to bringing the entire crew back, and Ainge shouldn't be either.

I would listen to trade offers on several people.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Any chance Blake would be interested in a one-year "make good" deal?  His reputation for getting injured surely has to be impacting his ability for a solid long-term deal, no?

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Any chance Blake would be interested in a one-year "make good" deal?  His reputation for getting injured surely has to be impacting his ability for a solid long-term deal, no?
Blake Griffin has this on the table already. It's called "not opting out of my Clippers  contract".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »

Offline Ory

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
I have no idea if it is possible, but I would much rather have both Greg Monroe and Rudy Gay than either Hayward or Griffin.

We are really small and getting two high end role players at the 3-5 could be the answer.

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Blake Griffin has this on the table already. It's called "not opting out of my Clippers  contract".
Thank you.  TP.  Wasn't on top of his situation - didn't realize he had a player option.

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/859922127842967552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Flos-angeles-clippers

Some interesting comments from Doc here. He was noncommittal on if bringing back both Paul and Griffin would be ideal. I wonder if Ballmer has grown a bit skeptical of maxing both of them out after yet another failure in the postseason.

Either way, both Paul and Griffin are still going to meet with other teams this summer, so I would imagine that we'll have our chance to "woo" Griffin no matter what.

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 09:33:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have no idea if it is possible, but I would much rather have both Greg Monroe and Rudy Gay than either Hayward or Griffin.

We are really small and getting two high end role players at the 3-5 could be the answer.

Really? Explain why. I would love to hear your thoughts, also TP for being a new member, welcome, welcome! I mean Griffin, I can understand due to injury concerns, but why Gay?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/859922127842967552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Flos-angeles-clippers

Some interesting comments from Doc here. He was noncommittal on if bringing back both Paul and Griffin would be ideal. I wonder if Ballmer has grown a bit skeptical of maxing both of them out after yet another failure in the postseason.

Either way, both Paul and Griffin are still going to meet with other teams this summer, so I would imagine that we'll have our chance to "woo" Griffin no matter what.

A little strange, because Doc also mentioned that "breaking it up is not the way to go".

Okay, but even if they move on from those two, who exactly are they getting?

Not like they have Nets Picks or any other valuable trade assets...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller