Poll

Are you an optimist, pessimist, or realist?

Optimist
5 (35.7%)
Pessimist
2 (14.3%)
Realist
6 (42.9%)
other/not sure/explain
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Are you an optimist, pessimist, or realist?  (Read 2547 times)

Are you an optimist, pessimist, or realist?
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is the way I look at it.....the glass is half full or empty depending entirely on how much you paid for.

Re: Are you an optimist, pessimist, or realist?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Honestly I'm a pessimist.

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ive been labeled a pessimist and there are some things Im pessimistic about but Id say on average  Im more overly optimistic.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The way I see it, Basketball is a form of entertainment for me, probably at this point some sort of hobby. I feel that being optimistic about a team just lets me enjoy basketball even more, so for that reason im an optimist when it comes to the Celtics. But I can see how some people can be pessimistic about their basketball teams, but Boston hasn't really warranted much to be pessimistic about. I can understand teams like Chicago, Kings, or Philly having highly pessimistic fans at this points due to the bleak outlook for their teams.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I have my ups and downs but at the end of the day I'm an optimist.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think in life, and most people who really know me would concur with this, I tend to be pessimistic. That way when things turn out good, I am happy but if things turned out as I expected, I don't get down. Given my medical condition, its important not to get too down so this attitude works for me.

Now when it comes to my sports, sports to me is entertainment and I like the action and to be happy when I am entertained(hence why I avoid tearjerker movies like the plague). So I am a diehard Celtic, Patriots and Red Sox fan and always try to be optimistic and positive when watching, discussing or thinking about my teams.

I just find it ridiculous to get very angry and negative over a form of entertainment. Don't get me wrong, if something happens that causes my team to lose, I get a little p!ssed, but for like two seconds and then its gone. But what I will never understand are people who love their team but only can be negative and angry when watching or discussing them. They are there to entertain you. If they are making you angry, depressed, negative, aggravated or hostile, perhaps its time to step away from following that team for a while and get a better perspective of why you follow sports.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Existentialist here.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I tend to be more of a realist... which is honestly a mix of optimistic and pessimistic lol.

I usually am optimistic I feel, but if things go wrong (not just for the Celtics, but the other Boston teams as well), I become pessimistic.

When the Pats were down 28-3, I was really sad but also thought "no hope, great job guys", then they came back and made a lot of us Pats fans happy but also eat our words LOL.

And I hoped the Celtics didn't make a BIG overpay for Butler/George because realistically I thought this team is better off staying patient and staying the course rather than making a haste move only to see PG13 go to LAL in 1.5 years, and only see us lose to Cleveland in the ECF in 5 games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Existentialist here.

Sounds like a pessimist.   ;)

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
In life - realist/pessimist hybrid.  I acknowledge and appreciate positive things when they happen, but dislike blind optimism.  More realistic than anything I'd say.  But also pessimistic on many things.  Working in healthcare has left me jaded and cynical because you can see the true nature of the beast.  I'm pessimistic on the long-term outlook on critical things such as human and animal welfare, the environment, the negative implications of the rapidly growing human population, the lack of education/critical thinking skills apparent among large proportions of the American population (hope I don't sound condescending or elitist here, because I'm not trying to be), and others.

With regard to the C's - realist/optimist hybrid.  For example, nobody could convince me that we would win 60 games this year (as some predicted before this season) or that we'd be able to add enough firepower to beat a healthy Cleveland (or Golden State) this year in the playoffs.  That's unrealistic.  But with regard to our recent rebuild, I'm very optimistic.  I've also been optimistic about many of our players, such as Avery Bradley even in year 2 when many people were writing him off as a scrub.  No reason for pessimism with regard to the C's at this time in my opinion.  We're not the Sacramento Kings or NY Knicks.

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I definitely believe in Murphy's Law. When it comes to sports teams I'm pretty optimistic. When it comes to people or organizations I'm pretty pessimistic.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 04:01:38 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Sometimes things aren't going to go your way. Sometimes they will.

I find it empowering to simply know that, whatever happens, I'm going to be able to respond and adapt as needed.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 05:52:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am optimictic. When im out of my groove ima realist/pessimist.
Regarding Cetics im a notch above optimistic, I am euphoric.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 06:03:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Im a tempered optimist. Example I believe Marcus Smart will be a decent shooter (like league average)