Author Topic: 4 #1 picks to Charlotte (Details Uncovered) from 2015  (Read 4449 times)

Re: 4 #1 picks to Charlotte (Details Uncovered) from 2015
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. That is what I also kept in mind this past trade deadline. Giving up several of our key player plus Nets picks for Butler or George
Would come back to haunt us.
not would, could, or it could have been the best thing in the world to do as it might have led to at least 1 title.

Possibly. But after watching Jaylen and Marcus take on Lebron and Kyrie the other night, I have to think keeping them plus other assets over Butler or George was correct. Ainge also sees them more than we do by watching them in practice so he has a better sense of what they can give us long term.

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
No way Ainge will give unprotected unknown 1st pick.
At the least he would have made top 3 protected, like all the picks are dealt nowadays (at least since Billy King incident).

At the time he wouldn't have been able to add a protection to the pick, that came along with the new CBA.

Danny said they probably went too far with their offer so it's believable. What is also shows is that a first rounder in the current year is waaaay overvalued because teams key in on players. So when people say that players were bought for peanuts this deadline, bear in mind that we may not have had the asset that the other team coveted.

I guess I'm unclear on the rule change. I thought the recent change allowed teams to protect *conditionally acquired picks*, which wasn't allowed before. The BKN 17 would fall into that category.

But I also thought that even previously, a team could protect a pick it owned outright from another team, if it traded it again. BKN 16 would have fallen into that category.

Is that wrong? Was it also against the rules to protect *any acquired pick*, until recently? Meaning that yes, we could not have protected the BKN 16 pick in a proposed Winslow trade?

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Let's just forget this ever happened.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No way Ainge will give unprotected unknown 1st pick.
At the least he would have made top 3 protected, like all the picks are dealt nowadays (at least since Billy King incident).

Could he have protected the Nets pick in that trade? I know it would have been possible at the deadline this year, but was it possible a couple of years ago?

If it was possible, then I'd assume Danny would have had something more like top 10 (or so) protections on it, since we were trading it and others for a #9 overall pick

I believe so. We had other first round picks in 2015 and 2016, so there's no Stepien issue.

What I'm less sure about is whether the 2017 arrangement could have involved the swap rights, in the event the protection was triggered. I don't see why not, but I've seen other people talk as though we couldn't trade them (or couldn't back then, but can now). Others might be more informed than I am.

But even there, even if we couldn't trade the swap rights, the trade could have defaulted to something else, like other 1st rounders (like the 2018 pick, or others), with no trouble.

I do remember seeing the offer described as something like "as many as X 1st rounders," suggesting it was variable. Which means to me that something was protected somewhere, right? Otherwise that number would be certain.

That last part may be because there was rumored to be a choice between the Memphis 2019 pick and the Minnesota pick that turned into two seconds, so just based on that option (and the protections on the Minnesota pick) would have made "as many as 4 1st rounders" accurate
I'm bitter.