Author Topic: 4 #1 picks to Charlotte (Details Uncovered) from 2015  (Read 4441 times)

Re: 4 #1 picks to Charlotte (Details Uncovered) from 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
TP for the post.

I am also glad it didn't happen.

I think Jaylen is already better than Justise...am I crazy?

Not even close to crazy. I know some vocal members of this board were saying Jaylen would be lucky to be as good as Winslow one day. Well, his ceiling and current production look a lot better than Winslow.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:54:07 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No way Ainge will give unprotected unknown 1st pick.
At the least he would have made top 3 protected, like all the picks are dealt nowadays (at least since Billy King incident).

Could he have protected the Nets pick in that trade? I know it would have been possible at the deadline this year, but was it possible a couple of years ago?

If it was possible, then I'd assume Danny would have had something more like top 10 (or so) protections on it, since we were trading it and others for a #9 overall pick
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Always considered this a huge non-issue. Still do. It didn't happen so it doesn't matter.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I rest my case.
and what case would that be -- your claim that Danny is a better trader than a drafter?  if this is true, this would be worse than the original Antoine deal with Dallas

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I rest my case.
and what case would that be -- your claim that Danny is a better trader than a drafter?  if this is true, this would be worse than the original Antoine deal with Dallas

Nice attempt at disingenuity.

My case that Ainge and his son are at best - at best - average evaluators of college talent.

Who missed, badly, on Justice Winslow. This offer, frankly, is one of the worst trades in NBA history. Ainge should thank Baby Jesus every night that Jordan is an even worse evaluator of college talent than he and his son are.

Ainge needs to get his cojones back and stick to dealing for veterans. He will NEVER draft a champion in Boston.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I rest my case.

My case that Ainge and his son are at best - at best - average evaluators of college talent.

Who missed, badly, on Justice Winslow. This offer, frankly, is one of the worst trades in NBA history. Ainge should thank Baby Jesus every night that Jordan is an even worse evaluator of college talent than he and his son are.

Ainge needs to get his cojones back and stick to dealing for veterans. He will NEVER draft a champion in Boston.

Danny Ainge: draft Jaylen Brown
Coach Bo: draft Kris Dunn

I think I'll stick with Danny.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think Danny would have been "Billy Kinged" if he gave up all that for Winslow. I can't believe Charlotte didn't take the picks. Frank Kaminsky ain't all that. He's a little better than KO, and even that is debatable.

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Danny would have been "Billy Kinged" if he gave up all that for Winslow. I can't believe Charlotte didn't take the picks. Frank Kaminsky ain't all that. He's a little better than KO, and even that is debatable.

Which is why I seriously doubt that is in fact what was offered.

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Who cares if it's true or not, why is anyone still holding on to this and what is gained if it is true? Man, this isn't beating a dead horse, this is like beating a dead unicorn!

I'd guess that some people are curious because details of the trades Danny *didn't* make provide useful information about what options he really faces. Maybe more so than the deals he did make.

For example, if this is at all representative of the asking prices Danny has faced in trades over the last several years, it is less surprising that he hasn't made many moves, and the trades he has made look more impressive in historical context.

Other people may be using this as an input into some fictional narrative they carry around in their minds, as though this one deal Danny didn't even make is proof positive about something - even if it is inconsistent with most of his other decisions. But it's pretty easy to see who those people are and filter their opinions accordingly.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 12:33:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He doesn't even go into what the extra 'costs' were to acquire the #15 pick (RJ at #28 and what else??). This seems like a boatload of hogwash to me. I would have to assume that #16, 28, Minny 2nds, and another first (Bos '18 or Mem?) were the four 1sts included in the deal, not the BKN pick.

If somehow a BKN pick was offered, hopefully Danny learned his lesson (without actually having to learn the lesson).

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
At the least he would have made top 3 protected, like all the picks are dealt nowadays (at least since Billy King incident).

Could he have protected the Nets pick in that trade? I know it would have been possible at the deadline this year, but was it possible a couple of years ago?

If it was possible, then I'd assume Danny would have had something more like top 10 (or so) protections on it, since we were trading it and others for a #9 overall pick

I believe so. We had other first round picks in 2015 and 2016, so there's no Stepien issue.

What I'm less sure about is whether the 2017 arrangement could have involved the swap rights, in the event the protection was triggered. I don't see why not, but I've seen other people talk as though we couldn't trade them (or couldn't back then, but can now). Others might be more informed than I am.

But even there, even if we couldn't trade the swap rights, the trade could have defaulted to something else, like other 1st rounders (like the 2018 pick, or others), with no trouble.

I do remember seeing the offer described as something like "as many as X 1st rounders," suggesting it was variable. Which means to me that something was protected somewhere, right? Otherwise that number would be certain.

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

At the time he wouldn't have been able to add a protection to the pick, that came along with the new CBA.

Danny said they probably went too far with their offer so it's believable. What is also shows is that a first rounder in the current year is waaaay overvalued because teams key in on players. So when people say that players were bought for peanuts this deadline, bear in mind that we may not have had the asset that the other team coveted.

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. That is what I also kept in mind this past trade deadline. Giving up several of our key player plus Nets picks for Butler or George
Would come back to haunt us.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. That is what I also kept in mind this past trade deadline. Giving up several of our key player plus Nets picks for Butler or George
Would come back to haunt us.
not would, could, or it could have been the best thing in the world to do as it might have led to at least 1 title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 01:20:29 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I rest my case.

Danny Ainge: draft Jaylen Brown
Coach Bo: draft Kris Dunn

I think I'll stick with Danny.

If I recall Bo wanted to trade that pick for Okafor

The same Okafor who makes a horrid Sixer team even worse when he plays.

To be fair to Bo, there aren't a lot of viable trade targets to choose from, so he's gotta reach a little bit to continue this ego-driven vendetta against Ainge.

Gotta be a tough job, feel bad for the guy!