Author Topic: So VP Mike Pence was using an AOL email for State business & was actually hacked  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Moranis

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 721
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/02/pence-used-personal-email-state-business----and-hacked/98604904/

Apparently used his account for all kinds of business, including receipt of confidential FBI reports and other homeland security matters.  And get this, his account was actually hacked last summer during the midst of the campaign. 

So should VP Pence be put in jail for such a blatant disregard for security measures?
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1288
  • bammokja
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/02/pence-used-personal-email-state-business----and-hacked/98604904/

Apparently used his account for all kinds of business, including receipt of confidential FBI reports and other homeland security matters.  And get this, his account was actually hacked last summer during the midst of the campaign. 

So should VP Pence be put in jail for such a blatant disregard for security measures?
Lock'im up!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: -28262
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Indiana law does not prohibit public officials from using personal email accounts, although the law is generally interpreted to mean that official business conducted on private email must be retained for public record purposes.

Pence as governor would not have dealt with national security issues as sensitive or as broad as those handled by Clinton in her position or with classified matters.

If he didn't do anything illegal, why discuss jailing him?

I personally think stuff like this SHOULD be illegal, but if it's not, then it falls into the "politics as usual" category.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 454

The butt hurt is strong in you.

Mike

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 327

No, he shouldn't.

But anyone who was upset with Hillary Clinton's use of a personal server should be upset with Pence.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Moranis

• Reggie Lewis
Indiana law does not prohibit public officials from using personal email accounts, although the law is generally interpreted to mean that official business conducted on private email must be retained for public record purposes.

Pence as governor would not have dealt with national security issues as sensitive or as broad as those handled by Clinton in her position or with classified matters.

If he didn't do anything illegal, why discuss jailing him?

I personally think stuff like this SHOULD be illegal, but if it's not, then it falls into the "politics as usual" category.
I was being sarcastic.  I don't think he should actually go to jail, just like I didn't think Clinton should have either, because as you say everyone does this.  I just find the hypocrisy to be appalling on this one.

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 501
    • Yahoo h2h roster
Just trust the process, moranis.
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

Offline slamtheking

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 3641

Lock'im up!  ;D
yeah, where's the Republicans chanting "Lock Him Up"?  if it's proper for Hillary, it's certainly proper for Pence.  should at least have several extensive government investigations into this don't you think?  would only be fair since the Reps set such a high bar for emails during the campaign.

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 327
Why is no one stating the obvious:

Pence should be *ashamed* of himself...

... for still using AOL.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline GratefulCs

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 270
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
    • Jademerchants.com
Why is no one stating the obvious:

Pence should be *ashamed* of himself...

... for still using AOL.
i  bet he likes the chat rooms

I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Bill Russell

Lock'im up!  ;D
yeah, where's the Republicans chanting "Lock Him Up"?  if it's proper for Hillary, it's certainly proper for Pence.  should at least have several extensive government investigations into this don't you think?  would only be fair since the Reps set such a high bar for emails during the campaign.

Hillary's emails included classified information. Pence's didn't. that's what the question of the gallery hinges on, so these two situations really don't have a ton in common legally.

I think we should all make a bipartisan push for more transparency in government however. Stuff like this is bad for our democracy.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 911
  • What a Pub Should Be
IMO, anyone still using an AOL email address in 2017 should be jailed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Moranis

• Reggie Lewis

Lock'im up!  ;D

Hillary's emails included classified information. Pence's didn't. that's what the question of the gallery hinges on, so these two situations really don't have a ton in common legally.

I think we should all make a bipartisan push for more transparency in government however. Stuff like this is bad for our democracy.
Of course Pence was hacked and Clinton wasn't and it is still a bit of question just how many "classified" emails were actually in Clinton's account. 

And for the record, Pence had emails in his personal account that while not "classified" were too sensitive and confidential for the current Indiana Governor to release in the Public Records request.  If they are too confidential and sensitive to release, doesn't that make them "classified" to a degree.

Quote from:
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb's office released 29 pages of emails from Pence's AOL account, but declined to release an unspecified number of others because the state considers them confidential and too sensitive to release to the public.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Bill Russell

Haha. we have a lot of potential criminals on Celtics blog. I just lookedand apparently we have over 1000 members with AOL email addresses. Who knew?

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 911
  • What a Pub Should Be

Haha. we have a lot of potential criminals on Celtics blog. I just lookedand apparently we have over 1000 members with AOL email addresses. Who knew?

Lock 'em all up!

I'm sure I have a valid email from 1998 out there somewhere but would have no idea how to get into it now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team