Poll

Who Do You Want Boston To Face In The First Round For Best Possible Outcome (Series Win!)?

Chicago Bulls
8 (27.6%)
Indiana Pacers
7 (24.1%)
Detroit Pistons
6 (20.7%)
Miami Heat
4 (13.8%)
Milwaukee Bucks
2 (6.9%)
Doesn't Matter. They'll Contain Isaiah, We'll Lose The First Round, And The World Is Over For Us
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: First Round: Preferable Match Up?  (Read 1418 times)

First Round: Preferable Match Up?
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean, we can all be confident and say, "it doesn't matter, we'll beat anyone who comes our way in the first round", and I'd commend you for that confidence  8)

But there's obviously going to be some potentially bad match ups (like Atlanta), and maybe some preferable match ups.

Just assume, as expected, we finish Top-3 in the East. We face the 6 or 7 seed. Who do you want?

I want either Indiana or Miami. We seem to do well against them. MIA could sneak in too as a 7-8 seed *possibly*.

What do you guys think?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: First Round: Preferable Match Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
You're definitely right about Indy and Miami. They seem like pretty good matchups that we'd excel in. Charlotte would be an ideal matchup, too, if they make it in.

Detroit could pose some problems on the boards, but I think we're significantly better than them and would handle them pretty well.

I think the Bulls present certain problems, too, and as Pho mentioned in another thread, I certainly worry about them having Butler, Wade, and Rondo, all of whom can win playoff games for you with a big game. However, I still think we'd prevail in 6 games or so. They just don't have the cohesive players to put a high quality basketball product on the floor, especially with their lack of shooting. It's also yet to be seen how losing Gibson affects them, especially against us since he was always a problem for us.

I want no part of Milwaukee. They're not a very good team, but they're young, athletic, and long, which this team has struggled with over the years, especially our smaller guards. Luckily, it's doubtful they make it in with their tough schedule.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
You're definitely right about Indy and Miami. They seem like pretty good matchups that we'd excel in. Charlotte would be an ideal matchup, too, if they make it in.

Detroit could pose some problems on the boards, but I think we're significantly better than them and would handle them pretty well.

I think the Bulls present certain problems, too, and as Pho mentioned in another thread, I certainly worry about them having Butler, Wade, and Rondo, all of whom can win playoff games for you with a big game. However, I still think we'd prevail in 6 games or so. They just don't have the cohesive players to put a high quality basketball product on the floor, especially with their lack of shooting. It's also yet to be seen how losing Gibson affects them, especially against us since he was always a problem for us.

I want no part of Milwaukee. They're not a very good team, but they're young, athletic, and long, which this team has struggled with over the years, especially our smaller guards. Luckily, it's doubtful they make it in with their tough schedule.

TP for that quick analysis. Yeah I agree with most of your points.

I don't want Milwaukee, Atlanta or even Chicago.

I say Chicago because lets be honest. Butler and Wade under the spotlight + refs?  :(

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

TP for that quick analysis. Yeah I agree with most of your points.

I don't want Milwaukee, Atlanta or even Chicago.

I say Chicago because lets be honest. Butler and Wade under the spotlight + refs?  :(

TP back at ya.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bumping This Up. Any Changes?

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Indiana. No questions asked. I'm sure we can beat any of these teams, but Indiana's the one where I look at and say, "Let's get the broom out."

Chicago's and Detroit's seasons are going down in flames so pending on any surprises, we're not seeing them in the first round.

I 100% believe Atlanta, Miami, and Milwaukee will be tough but beatable. They'd take a few games but the Celtics would pull it out against them in 7. Indiana to me poses no threat outside of Paul George.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Even with Detroit having an advantage on the boards, that team just can't get it together. The pieces don't fit. An opening series against them "should" get us into the second round.

The team i have apprehension about is Miami. That team is better than the sum of it's parts, and they play well together. They've had a nice second half too.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I voted Miami, but either them or the Pacers would be a pretty good matchup for us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would prefer Indiana but if Miami is without Waiters then Miami would be choice #2.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't think it matters.  Much more important that the Celtics are 100% locked in for the first-round series, imo.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I would prefer Indiana but if Miami is without Waiters then Miami would be choice #2.

Tp. Exactly how I feel.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Indiana or Detroit.

Miami is a mediocre team but I don't like the idea of Dragic and Whiteside against Thomas and Horford.

Chicago without Wade or Taj Gibson doesn't scare me as much.

The Bucks aren't a great team but I want no part of Giannis in a 7 game series.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Indiana or Detroit.

Miami is a mediocre team but I don't like the idea of Dragic and Whiteside against Thomas and Horford.

Chicago without Wade or Taj Gibson doesn't scare me as much.

The Bucks aren't a great team but I want no part of Giannis in a 7 game series.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Chicago went from one of our worst matchups to probably one of our better matchups by losing Gibson and Wade, who were two guys that always seemed to give us problems either on the boards or scoring.

And I agree with not wanting the Bucks, too, especially now that they have Middleton back to give them more shooting. We simply have no answer for Giannis. I think we'd end up beating them, but they'd make things tough and would give us a series. Luckily, I think they'll stay in 6th or better to not give us a first round matchup with them.