Author Topic: SO glad we didn't get into trading for this dude  (Read 5322 times)

Re: SO glad we didn't get into trading for this dude
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
It's become chic for some smarter-than-thou fans to mock the idea of a "winning culture."  And while it is true that team culture won't make a scrub into LeBron James, we're seeing four great examples this season of how important it can be.  Look at Noel forcing his way out of Philly and the sorry state of Okafor and contrast it with the way Jaylin, a clearly less heralded prospect, is performing.  And look at Cousins getting hyped to the moon when he goes to NO, where they promptly lose three is a row and then win when Cousins gets suspended.

Mike

I don't think it is really a winning culture think. Okafor always sucked. Also kind of ridiculous to do a judgement on the cousins trade when they probably even had a full practice

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's become chic for some smarter-than-thou fans to mock the idea of a "winning culture."  And while it is true that team culture won't make a scrub into LeBron James, we're seeing four great examples this season of how important it can be.  Look at Noel forcing his way out of Philly and the sorry state of Okafor and contrast it with the way Jaylin, a clearly less heralded prospect, is performing.  And look at Cousins getting hyped to the moon when he goes to NO, where they promptly lose three is a row and then win when Cousins gets suspended.

Mike

I don't think it is really a winning culture think. Okafor always sucked. Also kind of ridiculous to do a judgement on the cousins trade when they probably even had a full practice
Nope.  He has regressed due to the culture.  Open your eyes clay!  Another TP for Mike Bunge.

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Mike

Nope.  He has regressed due to the culture.  Open your eyes clay!  Another TP for Mike Bunge.

Haha you get a tommy point back from me moiso! I liked that post.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 10:16:15 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I remember watching Okafor early last year and thought his offense was simply amazing.  I have no idea what happened to him.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:49 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Yea, the fact that he's playing for the Sixers has nothing to do with his regression and his uncaring attitude at all  ::)

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
there are intangibles in players that you cant coach in our out of a guy..  The Will to compete is one of those things.. either you want to compete or you dont..    Either you want to fight or you dont.. Thats nothing that you turn on and off..  This is why I Never want this guy on this team. He doesnt fit our culture. 

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yea, the fact that he's playing for the Sixers has nothing to do with his regression and his uncaring attitude at all  ::)
That's probably true. It is also a bright line indicator that distinguishes players you want to have on your team vs ones you shouldn't be interested in touching with a 10-foot pole. I don't remember Garnett's or Pierce's effort level and production ever "regressing" that way, even when they played for some putrid teams in MN and Boston.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
That's probably true. It is also a bright line indicator that distinguishes players you want to have on your team vs ones you shouldn't be interested in touching with a 10-foot pole. I don't remember Garnett's or Pierce's effort level and production ever "regressing" that way, even when they played for some putrid teams in MN and Boston.

Embiid, Saric and the other players must not realize they are playing on the 6ers? I mean, shouldn't they all quit like Okafor if that excuse is holding weight.

I wouldn't want to be there either but I sure as hell would play good enough for other teams to want to get me out of there! You play and some1 would pay! Now you're stuck because they see you as a okay potential w/ horrible attitude/work ethic and/or bust and 6ers can't let you go for prices that would match those labels.

He's stuck and he hasn't realized it's his own fault!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:47:14 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Low IQ

He was not Duke material.

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Think about Okafor's situation from his perspective for a moment. When he was drafted, he already knew that the team he would be playing for already had two blue-chip centers on its roster, and that the team would purposefully avoid winning for most if not all of the duration of his rookie contract.

Other guys on Philly's roster have had less of a bad attitude, sure. But if he were drafted by pretty much any other team, he'd be exactly what we expected him to be: a dominant post scorer who's a liability on defense.

Team culture matters.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Think about Okafor's situation from his perspective for a moment. When he was drafted, he already knew that the team he would be playing for already had two blue-chip centers on its roster, and that the team would purposefully avoid winning for most if not all of the duration of his rookie contract.

Other guys on Philly's roster have had less of a bad attitude, sure. But if he were drafted by pretty much any other team, he'd be exactly what we expected him to be: a dominant post scorer who's a liability on defense.

Team culture matters.

Personal accountability*

Look at Sully. You can't get much better than the Celtics organization! Okafor is to blame! Now, look at a guy like Jae, who gave his all and didn't care what management wanted! Hell, I even said Embiid who is in the same situation but he risked health with a bum knee to get back out there with the same management and crappy team!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:57:16 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Obviously he has attitude and effort issues, but even if he doesn't, he is just a bust. He lacks athleticism and skills that are required to be a complete player at this level. His size and duke pedigree got him a lot of attention, but he lacks the quickness and lift to be an above average defender including defending the P and R which is required of someone in the NBA a lot more than in college.

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
winning at the college level probably skews peoples perspective of a players actual ability. Just looks at Okafor and Winslow.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Olowakandi 2.0?

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 02:06:41 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Guy reminds me of Al Jefferson, but not nearly as good on either side of the ball.

http://bkref.com/tiny/6rhFd

I don't care what the stats say, this is flat out disrespectful to Big Al.