Author Topic: if celts lose early in playoffs (trade ideas)  (Read 1464 times)

if celts lose early in playoffs (trade ideas)
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I am convinced that this Celtics team is good but are a bridge team, and even with the addition of another all star, aren't real contenders. With that said, I think the best course of action would be to get the most for guys like Crowder and IT4, rather than pay them a ridiculous amount to be a mediocre team, or to just lose them in free agency.

So here are my proposals..

BOS gets: Rodney Hood, Trey Lyles, Joe Johnsons expiring contract, 2017 1st (currently 25th), 2018 1st rounder (unprotected)

UTA gets: Isaiah Thomas & Jae Crowder

BOS gets: Jamal Murray, Juan Hernangomez, Darrell Arthur, 2017 1st (currently 15th), 2018 1st (unprotected)

DEN gets: Isaiah Thomas & Jae Crowder

Before criticizing mercilessly, I just want to say that I'm not necessarily supporting either trade. Just gauging what we could get in return if Ainge decided to go the route of shipping off vets he doesn't want to pay for young assets in an attempt to build a team with more longevity. This is ecspecially valid if DA falls in love with one of the top three guys (Fultz, Ball, Jackson) and wants to develope them from the get go.

Re: if celts lose early in playoffs (trade ideas)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:05:10 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
If things go bad in the playoffs, moving Al's contract won't be easy. Anyway, I would rather try to keep open as many options as possible to be able to make in-season trades up to February 2018.

Offseason plan:

Draft as well as you can. We might get #1 pick, or not. I'm guessing we get the #3 pick, and Fultz and Josh Jackson are out, so pick Ball.

Let Amir go. Zizic gets his spot.

Trade Tyler Zeller and Jordan Mickey to Utah for Joe Johnson and a protected future pick. Johnson gets Gerald Green's spot and becomes an expiring which you could use at the trade deadline.

Sign Anthony Randolph from Real Madrid, he's having his second great season in a row playing in Euroleague and he could be a great bench player for the Celtics. Try to negotiate buyout with Real Madrid, maybe Yabusele could be stashed there :)

Try to resign Jerebko for reasonable money, if not, let him go elsewhere.
Try to resign James Young for bargain money, if not, sign Nader.

Send one of DJackson/TRozier in a minor trade for a young big (i.e. Demetrius for Noah Vonleh) or future picks.

This would be the roster to start the 2017/2018 season:

IT/Ball/Rozier or Jackson
AB/Smart/Johnson
Crowder/Jaylen/Young or Nader
Horford/Randolph/Jerebko or FA
Zizic/KO/Young Big

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:02:31 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I am convinced that this Celtics team is good but are a bridge team, and even with the addition of another all star, aren't real contenders. With that said, I think the best course of action would be to get the most for guys like Crowder and IT4, rather than pay them a ridiculous amount to be a mediocre team, or to just lose them in free agency.

So here are my proposals..

BOS gets: Rodney Hood, Trey Lyles, Joe Johnsons expiring contract, 2017 1st (currently 25th), 2018 1st rounder (unprotected)

UTA gets: Isaiah Thomas & Jae Crowder

BOS gets: Jamal Murray, Juan Hernangomez, Darrell Arthur, 2017 1st (currently 15th), 2018 1st (unprotected)

DEN gets: Isaiah Thomas & Jae Crowder

Before criticizing mercilessly, I just want to say that I'm not necessarily supporting either trade. Just gauging what we could get in return if Ainge decided to go the route of shipping off vets he doesn't want to pay for young assets in an attempt to build a team with more longevity. This is ecspecially valid if DA falls in love with one of the top three guys (Fultz, Ball, Jackson) and wants to develope them from the get go.

And we go from 55 win team to 40 plus and the 6 to 8 th seed where we will be for the next 3 yrs while developing the young guys meantime Al Horford wastes his prime away...

Yup...a very decent plan to mediocrity when we still don't even kniw how Jaylen, and the bk pick pans out in 3 yrs ..while IT leads Utah with reckless abandon to the finals...yup...very nice plan.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You said it best. This team is a bridge team. But Danny will not trade them, unless any of them becomes detrimental to the team or someone brought an offer that he can't refuse. The Spurs didn't trade Sean Elliot or David Robinson after they drafted Duncan. Neither did the Lakers traded Kareem after they drafted Magic.

Crowder and IT's contracts are on a bargain. That is very important on flexibility, more important than a marginal upgrade. And once salary cap rises again, Horford's contract will be considered a bargain too.

All our scrubs are expiring, aside from Mickey and Jackson who have team options left. We can just outright sign veteran free agents for MLE or minimum and don't forget how valuable rookie contract is regardless of talent level. We have an expiring contracts next season with a total of 24 million. Enough cap space  to sign a max free agent.

Salary cap, according to experts will increase to $102 million next season. This team's success will determine if the players will get money or sent for cheaper options.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Trades like that just aren't going to happen. Even if things go badly in the playoffs, Ainge will continue this course.

What is might change is how we use our cap space this summer. It may be a better path to renegotiate ITs contract so that his cap hit is lower in future years, then look to flip him for more in the next offseason.

The size of Isaiah's contract is actually a hinderence when it comes to trades. If we were to ship him out of town we would want something similar to what Deron Williams cost, a young player, a lottery draft pick and a vet. For Crowder that becomes even more expensive, not sure why he needs to be involved in a trade now when he has a number of years left on his contract?

Bottom line is I doubt it happens at all, even if the playoffs don't go to plan

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge did nothing at the trade deadline, and left the team vulnerable to injury situations like last night's game--where Horford and Bradley were both unavailable.

I have a hunch he did nothing because he has a FA in the bag this summer--it could well be Hayward--and he is keeping the books clear. I think he's written off this season, and is targeting next year. Just a hunch.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Another trade Thomas thread that isn't going to happen.

What a novel idea.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not only is trading Thomas or Crowder dumb, but trading both for this return would be Kings-level incompetence. Perhaps even worse.

are you aware Jae Crowder has 3.5 years left on his deal?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another trade Thomas thread that isn't going to happen.

What a novel idea.
I just don't get it Coach. This board spent years fueding over tanking vs not tanking because we had to get All-Stars to rebuild with. We get a 2 time All-Star who is having an MVP quality season and people don't want to resign him for money he has earned, or want to trade him because he isn't a good defender or because they have problems with shoot first PGs or because they think IT is going to be the only player we build around.

IT scores 30 PPG. In today's NBA you need scorers who can create their own shot, score efficiently, and still keep the rest of the team involved. IT does this, at times at MVP elite levels. He is a bad defender but so are a bunch of other high scorers across the league. You build the rest of the team to offset that. That is why you don't build around IT exclusively. Its why he is just ONE of the important pieces. Seeing how this team performs without Al Horford proves that he is one as well. So is Smart, Crowder, and Brown.

And the reality is Ainge sees the importance of having a scorer of IT's quality on the team and he is going to resign him and it will be to the max. People need to just get this through their heads.

Ainge will continue to move thus team forward with hopefully more good draft picks like Jaylen and Smart and with excellent trades like for IT and Crowder and with the use of their cap space like signing Al Horford. He has great assets to use to build a contender but you don't trade the building blocks that he has collected to take a bunch of steps backwards. You move forward to titles not backward