Poll

Disappointed With No Minor Move While Injuries Are Happening Around The League?

No. We Weren't Winning Anyways. Who Cares If It's Not A Star Player?
6 (33.3%)
Yes. I Wanted Hopefully A Deep Playoff Run. We NEED Rebounding/Rim Protection.
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Ainge Not Making Even A Minor Move Looks Disappointing Now..  (Read 1856 times)

Ainge Not Making Even A Minor Move Looks Disappointing Now..
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm not saying he should have over payed for Butler or PG13.

But you see guys like Noel, Tucker, etc. traded for essentially peanuts.

Now KD is supposedly out 4-6 weeks, and possibly the rest of the season.

Love is injured, and there's still no guarantee he will be even 70% healthy come playoff time.

Lowry is out until the playoffs *at least*.

Making a small move still meant keeping the 2017 Nets Pick and having the cap flexibility for a max signing this summer. Are we really expecting the Clippers and Cavaliers second rounders this year to have a role for us in the next 1-2 years? What are the odds we get another "Isaiah Thomas" with those picks? Very very low.

I guess I'm just sounding "greedy" because we obviously aren't winning it all this season, but I really was hoping for a fun playoffs for this team and even just making an ECF would have been nice (and some injuries to key teams help out).

Instead, it's looking more like we can end up having a dull second round exit to much improved teams, or possibly even a first round exit IF we face a bad match up like Atlanta or Chicago.

Are we really supposed to believe guys like Noel, Bogut, Tucker wouldn't get playing time here??? Would poor Mickey lose all of his playing time as a result? Jerebko with his mask? And honestly, we probably should have expected all these "bought out" players to join Cleveland, Golden State, an improved/determined Washington team, but not a Boston team that practically said "no" to going on a deep run this season.

Anyone else sort of feeling disappointed now or you think it really doesn't matter anymore?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Ainge Not Making Even A Minor Move Looks Disappointing Now..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's always been disappointing to me that he didn't make a minor move, regardless of what our actual title chances are.  Any one of Tucker, Bogut, Gibson (all of whom were moved at the deadline) would have been fantastic.

Noel was always a non-starter for salary reasons.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's always been disappointing to me that he didn't make a minor move, regardless of what our actual title chances are.  Any one of Tucker, Bogut, Gibson (all of whom were moved at the deadline) would have been fantastic.

Yep but those other names were intriguing options too.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Just as a reminder, Cleveland has added Deron Williams and Bogut. GSW, even without Durant, won 73 games last season and added Barnes some hours ago.

We are still far from them even with the injuries. Let's try to win a playoff series or two and improve the team next summer, not for rentals.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Just as a reminder, Cleveland has added Deron Williams and Bogut. GSW, even without Durant, won 73 games last season and added Barnes some hours ago.

We are still far from them even with the injuries. Let's try to win a playoff series or two and improve the team next summer, not for rentals.

I see it as adding that player in a "minor move" helps us win a playoff series or two.

We can talk about our lack of a #2 scorer, but the biggest problem is REBOUNDING/RIM PROTECTION.

If we keep getting out rebounded in the first round, it could be a tough series.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A minor move wouldn't have gotten the Celts past Cleveland so I'm not sure what has changed given KD's injury.  Durant will almost certainly be healthy by the time the Finals roll around.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not really.   Nothing has really changed.

Everyone mentioned being hurt are suppose to be back in time for the playoffs. 

Still want to see them pick up Sully who is now playing for his next contract. 

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would have liked to add an athletic big with limited shooting range like Noel or Sanders just to see how that type of player would fit in with the rest of our guys. I get that Noel might have been a bit too pricey, but there had to be a few of those guys available for Young, Mickey, Zeller, 2nds, etc.

Of course it would have been more exciting to add somebody who could rebound, but Danny is obviously thinking 'big picture' here so we have no choice but to go with it.

Hopefully we at least reach the 2nd round.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It would have been nice to send a message to the league, let alone our own locker room, that we're going to try to compete in the playoffs.

Atlanta, for example ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I see it as adding that player in a "minor move" helps us win a playoff series or two.

We can talk about our lack of a #2 scorer, but the biggest problem is REBOUNDING/RIM PROTECTION.

If we keep getting out rebounded in the first round, it could be a tough series.

The biggest problem is big athletic guards or big guards that can keep up with IT really slow him down and that kills the offense. Bradly is also limited against big guards.  Cleveland has:
Irving 6'3 and Williams 6'3 at the point.  to constantly keep a bigger guard on IT that can stay with his speed. Also they have: Korvor at 6'7, Smith at 6'6 and Shumpert at 6'5 to constantly keep pressure on 6'2 Bradley. 

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I agree that the team was not going to beat CLE or GS, even with a minor move.

Not to go too far off-topic, but GS minus KD does not equal last year's team.  They lost a lot of role players and one starter from last year.  Regarding Barnes, Harrison is a better player than Matt.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Loss to Atlanta disappointing...didn't the Celtics lose to them last year in the playoffs?

Tonight will be a good test vs the Cavs.  Not believing the C's will win tonight.

Still think the Celts will have trouble in the playoffs again this year.   Would have liked to have seen them get George especially.  They need help up front on defense and rebounding.

MikeB

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

GS lost several very good players from that 73 win team just to get Durant, but regardless, Durant will likely be ready for the playoffs.

Lebron is still healthy so there is no reason for us to sell assets for an ECF exit.

The good news is Briwn and Smart have been getting regular meaningful minutes and have both developed significantly this season.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Noel is an expiring contract.  There are no salary reasons that would have prevented Boston from acquiring him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm beginning to think that Stevens and Ainge had a talk sometime within the last few years. I believe BS told him to stop making so many moves during the year or I'm outta here. Make moves at the beginning or end of the year.

I remember 2 or 3 years ago Ainge made like 5 moves within a short period of time. It just seems weird that NOTHING is being done. They know this team has glaring flaws. Today is the last day to sign a player for the playoffs that has been waived.