Poll

Who is the better player, Klay Thompson or Bradley Beal?

B Beal
1 (16.7%)
K Thompson
5 (83.3%)
About Even, Too Close To Calll
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 04, 2017, 12:28:08 PM

Author Topic: Klay or Beal  (Read 744 times)

Klay or Beal
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I more or less implied to one of my friends that I thought Beal might be slightly better than Klay.  His response was that this was ridiculous.  Am I crazy for suggesting this?  Their box numbers are about even (if anything Beal's numbers are slightly better), Klay has a very slight edge in RPM, Beal has a higher simple rating (something that I value).  As far as efficiency goes, they have identical eFG%, Beal better on 2 pt attempts, Klay on 3 pt attempts.  Overall I would say they are about even based on traditional stats and advanced metrics.  I think I just like the fact that Beal is a better ball handler and can get his own shot much easier and run an offense if needed.  Can you guys help me out here?  Am I way off? 

Re: Klay or Beal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I like Klay a lot better. Their numbers may be similar offensively but I think Klay is a better defender. I have no stats to back this up - just eyesight.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Klay.  He has to share with (or basically wait in line after) Curry and Durrant with Green taking his share after.

Beal has to share with Wall. 

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Very close.  Klay's defense is better.  I like Beal's shot creating a lot better.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
To compare box scores is a little silly without mentioning the context.   I believe if Klay and Beal swapped teams, Klay could get 30 a night being 1st option with Wall dishing to him.

Could Beal sustain those numbers behind Curry and Durant? I learn towards no.  Just eye tests and gut feelings.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
To compare box scores is a little silly without mentioning the context.   I believe if Klay and Beal swapped teams, Klay could get 30 a night being 1st option with Wall dishing to him.

Could Beal sustain those numbers behind Curry and Durant? I learn towards no.  Just eye tests and gut feelings.
Thompson gets more shots than Beal does though right now (17.2 to 16.8).  In fact Thompson gets more shots than Durant and he is only .6 shots behind Curry.  This isn't a situation where he doesn't get a bunch of shots and because he plays with Curry and Durant he gets a ton of wide open looks.  Thompson is the better defender, but I think Beal is a better passer and certainly is a better ball handler.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I agree that the box stats need to be looked at in context.  Unfortunately it's not really possible to simulate how each player's would change if they were to swap places.  Could argue that Beal would be the beneficiary as he would certainly get less attention from defenses playing with Durant and Curry.  That being said, your conclusion is plausible as well.