Author Topic: Stop misquoting Wyc!!!  (Read 969 times)

Stop misquoting Wyc!!!
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Might be rehashing something old, but I'm still seeing Wyc being misquoted constantly on the boards.

“… We figure we’re probably two guys away from being a really, really good team; probably two significant guys away, and if we put all the chips in yesterday on one guy, we’re getting rid of draft pick — or picks — and we’re getting rid of free agency this summer, so it’s sort of like one step forward, two steps back. It just didn’t make sense.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/02/wyc-grousbeck-celtics-comfortable-with-trade-deadline-but-still-two-players-away/

Wyc never said that we were two star players away from contention; the term he used was significant which is a huuuggge difference. People keep misquoting him, using that as fuel for the need to trade everything we have for an All-Star.

No stars are coming to Boston, simply because the ones we like aren't for sale and I doubt CBS is telling Danny that we need a star. If that was the case, Boogie would be in green.

Based on the boards the significant pieces we need would be
  • an athletic, rim-protecting, rebounding big that can switch 1 - 5
  • another go-to scorer, primarily to anchor the second unit and create a dynamic 1-2 punch with IT4 (our second unit lacks offensive identity)

Honestly I think Wyc and Danny are trying to oversell FA, but this year's market is actually pretty bad. No significant players will change teams... and if people are concerned about maxing out IT4, I don't see how they'll be fine with maxing out Hayward.

However there are several affordable, significant but non-star players fit the mold of what we need and should be attainable, but we seem stuck on PG, Hayward, Boogie and Butler. Names like Richaun Holmes, Gorgui Dieng, WCS (pre Boogie trade), Gallinari, Mudiay (2nd unit PG with size and immense upside but falling out of rotation).

I agree with Wyc, we are two significant pieces away... I just don't think we need another all-star

Re: Stop misquoting Wyc!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Teams don't win with only one star, unless that star is Hakeem.

To contend, we need at least one more star, and probably two. We're not winning anything by adding "significant", non-star players.

Names like Richaun Holmes, Gorgui Dieng, WCS (pre Boogie trade), Gallinari, Mudiay (2nd unit PG with size and immense upside but falling out of rotation).

We could add every one of these players and still wouldn't be on Cleveland's / GSW's level. Stars win, role players help put you over the top when your stars are in place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Teams don't win with only one star, unless that star is Hakeem.

To contend, we need at least one more star, and probably two. We're not winning anything by adding "significant", non-star players.

Names like Richaun Holmes, Gorgui Dieng, WCS (pre Boogie trade), Gallinari, Mudiay (2nd unit PG with size and immense upside but falling out of rotation).

We could add every one of these players and still wouldn't be on Cleveland's / GSW's level. Stars win, role players help put you over the top when your stars are in place.

Imagine we had a time machine, and got to re roll in the modern NBA with Hakeem from the beginning of his career? Oh man. He is one of my favorite players ever.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
You mean like all the significant players we passed on?

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
You mean like all the significant players we passed on?

If we didn't pass on 1, there's still no way we couldve gotten 2.