Author Topic: Bradley for Saric this Offseason?  (Read 10043 times)

Re: Bradley for Saric this Offseason?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Those questioning Saric couldn't have been watching him much, especially since they traded Ilyasova, giving Saric big minutes.  Since that trade Saric has been averaging close to 20/10/5, and he along with Embid, Simmons, and another top pick this year, give 6'ers a great future....IMO, probably much better than our future core!  Along with Pels and Lakers, they'll be one of our future nemesis, besides the already dominant Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs.
Would quickly do the AB for Saric trade, but 6'ers laugh at that one!

That's quite a prection.   6ers, Pels and Lakers?   

To me, the 6ers look just like the Blazers of old.  Remember how unstoppable they were going to be once Roy, Aldridge & Oden developed?   Folks had them pegged for a ten year dynasty. 

But you can't win titles with a starting 5 of rookie deals, and it's never a sure thing to get those guys to gel and all get paid and have everything fall in your favor.   That's why a GM's job is so much more than just drafting.   I mean, look at Ainge.   He's not really good at scouting /drafting teenagers but because of everything else he does excel at, he's considered one of the games best.   

One question though.   When do you predict Philly turns the corner and sneaks into the playoffs?   They still feel at least 2-3 years away from that.    Good prospects, especially the kid you need with competitive drives, usually don't have that kind of patience.   Just as Noel has soured on the process, expect others (like Saric) to do the same.    Their path is anything but easy, because of the one thing that everyone continues to overlook, the human factor.   
The Thunder were in the NBA Finals with 3 of their top 4 by playoff minutes being on rookie deals (Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka) and the 4th was Durant who was in the 1st year of his 2nd contract. 

True.   But they didn't win, and have since lost 3/4. 

Not easy to get everyone paid without jealousy kicking in sooner or later.  Incredibly difficult to make that leap.   

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
What a difference a few months makes on this board?  Early this year, Saric was a C Level prospect at best, now people would give up Bradley in an instant for him.

While the improved play of saric has helped the biggest thing that has changed is that now you are talking about Bradley as a rental since he can't be traded till next season.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Love Saric, Id do it. Not sure Philly does.

No way Philly does it.  Saric is a huge building block for them and with both Simmons and Embiid having physical issues not going to happen...

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Those questioning Saric couldn't have been watching him much, especially since they traded Ilyasova, giving Saric big minutes.  Since that trade Saric has been averaging close to 20/10/5, and he along with Embid, Simmons, and another top pick this year, give 6'ers a great future....IMO, probably much better than our future core!  Along with Pels and Lakers, they'll be one of our future nemesis, besides the already dominant Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs.
Would quickly do the AB for Saric trade, but 6'ers laugh at that one!

That's quite a prection.   6ers, Pels and Lakers?   

To me, the 6ers look just like the Blazers of old.  Remember how unstoppable they were going to be once Roy, Aldridge & Oden developed?   Folks had them pegged for a ten year dynasty. 

But you can't win titles with a starting 5 of rookie deals, and it's never a sure thing to get those guys to gel and all get paid and have everything fall in your favor.   That's why a GM's job is so much more than just drafting.   I mean, look at Ainge.   He's not really good at scouting /drafting teenagers but because of everything else he does excel at, he's considered one of the games best.   

One question though.   When do you predict Philly turns the corner and sneaks into the playoffs?   They still feel at least 2-3 years away from that.    Good prospects, especially the kid you need with competitive drives, usually don't have that kind of patience.   Just as Noel has soured on the process, expect others (like Saric) to do the same.    Their path is anything but easy, because of the one thing that everyone continues to overlook, the human factor.   
The Thunder were in the NBA Finals with 3 of their top 4 by playoff minutes being on rookie deals (Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka) and the 4th was Durant who was in the 1st year of his 2nd contract. 

True.   But they didn't win, and have since lost 3/4. 

Not easy to get everyone paid without jealousy kicking in sooner or later.  Incredibly difficult to make that leap.   
Fine, how about the Warriors.  Win the title with the same 3 of 4 ratio (Thompson, Green, Barnes) and the 4th Curry was in year 2 of that 2nd contract. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 11:33:14 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
A guy like Bradley makes you win titles. He is the best player in the whole NBA to stop the Curries, Hardens or Irvings out there. I wouldn't trade him for Saric, as much as I like the Croatian.

Some of you are going to tell me some bad things  :police:, but I think he may be more important than Isaiah in a close, hard, even dirty, playoff series. Defense gets more prominence from April onwards.

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
this takes the cake
-insulting and embarrassing to celtic fans,

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 12:27:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
this takes the cake

I think every single person on CB would keep AB if he would sign a team-friendly deal, it's just that many fear the $75M+/yr that he, IT, and Smart are proposed to make next summer. This is a pick 2 out 3 exercise.

By trading AB for a guy like Saric, you are able to comfortably sign a max FA like Hayward and maybe even conjure up enough money to keep KO. Three more years of solid production from a Brad-type guy for peanuts at a position of need is why people are even bringing up such a deal, not because we don't actually want AB on the team.

Frankly, it's the same reason Crowder is basically untouchable right now.

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
this takes the cake
Please.

It's an idea that makes plenty of sense. You have 3 guards up for extensions in a year and there's a very good chance your top 3 pick is gonna be a guard in June. Add to that the fact that ainge for some reason loves Rozier and it is very reasonable to think about trading one of those guards.

AB is gonna want to get paid and Dario is young, cheap, on an extended deal and he fits our culture perfectly.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm really hoping these trade suggestions start to go away now that Bradley is back. It always happens to the player out injured.. "oh we're doing well without him therefore he isn't needed anymore", so short sighted.
What Bradley did last night to Irving, not even Smart can do that!

Bradley is worth far more to us than Saric. Bradley is kryptonite for the NBAs elite guards. It's been obvious (to me at least) that the only way guys like Bradley or Crowder leave the Cs is if a legit superstar is coming back the other way. Otherwise we are just continuing to build internally, testing FA and continuing to hunt down Cleveland
Id still trade him for Saric straight up. Although Saric, like Jimmy Butler, is one of my binkies.

Saric has 3 years left on his rookie deal. He plays a position of need, and like Smart he makes a ton of winning plays.

Plus hes a good passer which Brad loves in a big man.

Also hes young enough that he fits right in with the Brown/Smart/'17/'18 core timeline, while also being able to probably start for the current team and make a positive impact.

I just dont see us keeping Bradley Smart Thomas long term.

Thomas is gonna get 30 mil. I bet Smart gets close to 20 and Bradley should be around 25.

No way he starts for us right now. I understand people don't rate Amir but Horford needs a guy next to him who can take the Cs for a large chunk of the game.

Bradley is our #2 scorer and our best man to man defender. I see no reason why we can't keep all 3 of them long term. Let's at least see how well they do in the playoffs first. Then see if we land a big FA. If we don't then it's absolutely workable under the cap.

I'm sure Saric continues to improve as he gets older but imo so will Bradley. I still don''t think he's done evolving as a player
By right now I meant next season.

You could still be right, but I see Al as a guy who is going to become more and more of a full time center as that contract moves along.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
this takes the cake

I think every single person on CB would keep AB if he would sign a team-friendly deal, it's just that many fear the $75M+/yr that he, IT, and Smart are proposed to make next summer. This is a pick 2 out 3 exercise.

By trading AB for a guy like Saric, you are able to comfortably sign a max FA like Hayward and maybe even conjure up enough money to keep KO. Three more years of solid production from a Brad-type guy for peanuts at a position of need is why people are even bringing up such a deal, not because we don't actually want AB on the team.

I've gotten to the point where I'd rather pay AB than Hayward. 

If you are committed to Isaiah, then you require bulldog defenders alongside him.  AB is the ideal fit for this team, and our defacto captain. 

Something tells me Ainge stands pat for the next TWO seasons.  Stay competitive, add top prospects, and let the cream rise to the top. 

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
this takes the cake

If you are committed to Isaiah, then you require bulldog defenders alongside him.  AB is the ideal fit for this team, and our defacto captain. 

Something tells me Ainge stands pat for the next TWO seasons.  Stay competitive, add top prospects, and let the cream rise to the top.

Honest question - would you rather pay IT or Hayward moving forward? I get the Bradley 'love' - I hate the idea of a quiet, hard working, all-NBA defense, very good offensive player leaving for nothing. He is the only piece remaining from our Big 3 teams and he plays the game how it should be played.

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
this takes the cake

Just want to correct a few things. Trading AB for Saric would not free up enough cap space to sign Hayward. In that scenario you'd either have to trade away Rozier as well or not keep KO. That's without even considering the Nets pick being above #3.

Also it's a fallacy that we can't afford to keep all 3. There are so many things between now and then which could influence that. Not least what we do with our cap space this summer. Or that the guys might well take less than the market rate to play for a contender. Even if we pay them all market rate we can still keep them, it would just limit what we could spend on our big men.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
this takes the cake

Honest question - would you rather pay IT or Hayward moving forward? I get the Bradley 'love' - I hate the idea of a quiet, hard working, all-NBA defense, very good offensive player leaving for nothing. He is the only piece remaining from our Big 3 teams and he plays the game how it should be played.

I feel IT is the better player, so all things being equal I'd rather keep our guy than bring in Hayward. 

I don't see Gordan having the same killer instinct down the stretch of games, or being able to setup his teammates as well as IT does. 

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
this takes the cake
Please.

It's an idea that makes plenty of sense. You have 3 guards up for extensions in a year and there's a very good chance your top 3 pick is gonna be a guard in June. Add to that the fact that ainge for some reason loves Rozier and it is very reasonable to think about trading one of those guards.

AB is gonna want to get paid and Dario is young, cheap, on an extended deal and he fits our culture perfectly.

More likely we draft Jackson, Tatum or Isaac than Ball or Fultz. This is why I find your case unpursuasive.

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Hayward is not a net gain. Would rather focus on signing IT and Bradley and Smart, and drafting big.