Author Topic: Cavaliers (41-17) at Celtics (38-22) Game #61 3/1/17  (Read 47479 times)

Re: Cavaliers (41-17) at Celtics (38-22) Game #61 3/1/17
« Reply #555 on: March 02, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Great team effort!

« Reply #556 on: March 02, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
You know, I used to live in the game threads years ago. There was just nothing like watching the game while talking the game in the game threads. But as the Celtics started to get old during the Big 3 era, the game threads started getting nasty because a very negative set of characters came in and just loved antagonizing those trying to cheer on the team. I stop participating in the game threads because of it. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

But one thing I loved was when the Celtic won, especially big wins against good teams, those negative participants in the threads disappeared at the end of the threads. They could never hang around and congratulate the team. They could never post positive stuff about the players they always harrassed. God forbid they ever say that Doc ever made a good move to help win the game. They just disappeared and reappeared the next game ready to spread their dissatisfaction.

So this year I haven't been participating in these game threads but I have read them. What I have seen is that not much has changed. Oh there is a new set of antagonists but things just haven't changed. Big win tonight and I see the usual 2 or 3 guys spouting off negativity have disappeared and aren't here celebrating over the win.

The more things change....the more they stay the same. WTG Celtics. Best game of the year. Loved watching it.

TP as usual Nick, what I've been saying lately.

Good morning everyone!
Good win.
Good thoughts above ^^^
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #557 on: March 02, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Those back to back charges taken by Smart was really something else.  Especially the first one.  He basically took a straight on full speed tackle from a huge mofo in Derrick Williams.  That seriously had to hurt.  Definition of taking one for the team.

We really need a statistic for "things that make a difference but don't show up in the box score." I'd love to see what Smart looks like there.

Mike

FINALLY! Someone understands the game!
Modern day analytics haven't caught up with the most important things that tip games.
Macolm Gladwell- is that you?  Great post! TP
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Smart without the French fry hair .....yes !

He Looks great and play n ball....great game from my favorite player ......tuffest Celtic since KG.

Best Celtic game of season !

« Reply #559 on: March 02, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Smart is so freaking good at the game of basketball. Now that his offense has advanced past the "train wreck" category, he looks to be a phenomenal player.

The 2 charges were huge for this team, and on a few possessions he utterly shut down Kyrie, arguably the hardest guard to stay in front of in the league.

His progress as a complete basketball player has been a joy to watch, and I hope he is a celtic for life.
#JKJB

« Reply #560 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Jaylen during post-game interview: "It was a bar fight, man."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhUrCENPok

Yep, this kid bleeds green already.

Defensive rebounds, Jaylen had 6 off the bench!

« Reply #561 on: March 02, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
You know, I used to live in the game threads years ago. There was just nothing like watching the game while talking the game in the game threads. But as the Celtics started to get old during the Big 3 era, the game threads started getting nasty because a very negative set of characters came in and just loved antagonizing those trying to cheer on the team. I stop participating in the game threads because of it. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

But one thing I loved was when the Celtic won, especially big wins against good teams, those negative participants in the threads disappeared at the end of the threads. They could never hang around and congratulate the team. They could never post positive stuff about the players they always harrassed. God forbid they ever say that Doc ever made a good move to help win the game. They just disappeared and reappeared the next game ready to spread their dissatisfaction.

So this year I haven't been participating in these game threads but I have read them. What I have seen is that not much has changed. Oh there is a new set of antagonists but things just haven't changed. Big win tonight and I see the usual 2 or 3 guys spouting off negativity have disappeared and aren't here celebrating over the win.

The more things change....the more they stay the same. WTG Celtics. Best game of the year. Loved watching it.

I think people should be free to express their positive  or negative thoughts on the game and team as they see fit.  The problem is too many people take it as a direct attack on them or their family and can't separate themselves in the moment.  If all it takes is an anonymous poster to rile you up, I'd say you have a deeper issues  with obsession. People may not agree but if it's not a personal attack then the personal retaliation is completely uncalled for and I think those people are more of the problem of the board than anything else.  If it doesn't pertain directly to you or you can't respond without being vindictive yourself, there is always the option to just ignore And move along.

« Reply #562 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think people should be free to express their positive  or negative thoughts on the game and team as they see fit.  The problem is too many people take it as a direct attack on them or their family and can't separate themselves in the moment.  If all it takes is an anonymous poster to rile you up, I'd say you have a deeper issues  with obsession. People may not agree but if it's not a personal attack then the personal retaliation is completely uncalled for and I think those people are more of the problem of the board than anything else.  If it doesn't pertain directly to you or you can't respond without being vindictive yourself, there is always the option to just ignore And move along.

Exactly..well said

« Reply #563 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Good thoughts.... keep in mind haters are going to hate.   90% of the casual fans think they know how to run a team.  AKA Their team.......  Truth they don't have enough information to be serious, so I don't take them serious.    They have no clue....  But most want to see the Celtics win.     

So its cool to be in here with the real 10% of level headed fans.    Those same people tend to be more intelligent, have a good job, family, life etc.  And for those people I love this Blog.  People I'd love to go to a game with...... Been coming here since 2004.    I didn't post a lot and must have 5 or six email accounts.   

Anyone going to the PHX game this Sunday?   
Diggles

« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After rewatching some of the stretch plays from last night, I still don't like our chances vs Cleveland but I'd love an opportunity to see a healthy AB + Kyrie match up over a 7 game series.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:13:52 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
After rewatching some of the stretch plays from last night, I still don't like our chances vs Clevelan but I'd love to opportunity to see a health AB + Kyrie match up over a 7 game series.

It came down to the wire and they didnt have Love. Plus it was at home

It wont be easy for sure...would be nice to see a win in cleveland

« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

TP as usual Nick, what I've been saying lately.

Yeah, an echo chamber is clearly better to protect fragile feelings.  ::)

I don't know if Nick was referring to me as one of these "negative" posters or not, though I assume he was since I'm one of the more vocal posters in the game threads, and I don't really care. This is ultimately just a game that we all enjoy watching and discussing about on this blog. None of this ultimately matters in the grand scheme of things.

But what I've noticed though lately on this blog is that you cannot criticize this team, coach, or management/ownership this season without someone jumping down your throat labeling you as a "pessimist" or a "hater" or a "negative character," just because you have have a different opinion than them and disagree with something that was done by the team or player. These people need to grow up and stop being so dang sensitive and overprotective about their own opinions and favorite players/teams. Everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and even your favorite people err at times.

IT is a legit MVP candidate this year, and he's been beyond excellent offensively for us this year. However, the last half dozen games or so he's played selfishly and with bad decision-making, and he's been a pretty consistent poor defender his entire  Celtics career. It does not make you a "pessimist" or a "hater" to criticize him when he plays like this or plays bad defense. As long you give him his due praise when he deserves it, then it's totally fair for you to criticize him when he deserves it, and the same is true about all of the other players, Brad, and Danny, too. It just makes you a biased homer if you think you can only praise our players and not criticize them when they do things they shouldn't do.

I feel like I am fair in my criticisms, because I give our players, coach, and GM their due praise when they deserve it. Look at tonight and IT. When he forced possessions, didn't play through the offense and trust his teammates, or played bad defense, I criticized him for it and said he needs to be better. But I was also the first to praise him as soon as he did the right things, too, like the last half of the fourth quarter when he started penetrating and kicking to the open guy instead of forcing up bad shots, which he hasn't been doing the last several games.

And I think there are several other posters here who do the same things and are similarly justified doing so, yet many of us who dare to even justifiably criticize certain things about the players, coach, management, or team's play are still lumped in with those posters whose sole goal is to be negative on here (we all know who I'm talking about). Some of you need to stop being so sensitive and realize that people can have different opinions on the team and players than you, and that's okay. As long as you're fair in both your criticisms and praise, there's nothing wrong with holding players accountable.

That being said, I think I'm going to cut back posting on here, certainly the game threads, for awhile, because large portions of this blog have become toxic and major echo chambers that can't deal with anything but irrational optimism and blatant homerism about our players, team, and overall direction. It's just ridiculous having to defend yourself all of the time simply for having a contrary, critical opinion, even when you give out just as much praise to players as criticism. It doesn't make you a "hater" or "pessimist" or "someone who thinks they can coach or GM" better than Brad and Danny just because you disagree with one of their moves.

Colonel Potter, you are one of my favorite posters. A true realist!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

TP, well said

It's actually one of the forum rules too. I'm always shocked when people are allowed to attack!!!

Maybe we need a new sheriff in town. No one seems to moderate the game threads anymore.

Having said that, most are very respectful to each other.  :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:38:10 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Exactly..well said

tp

Larry Bird

« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2017, 12:50:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think some of the strong disagreements between posters here are because this team is really in uncharted territory with having such a fast rebuild with a vet core, but still having a core of great prospects and picks. On top of that, our best vet player is 5'9. There is no precedence for this, nothing to really support arguments for the path the team should take, and its not even clear what the team is trying to really do. This will naturally bring up strong arguments on all ends.

There is nothing wrong with expressing criticism or support , that's what the forum is for, right? The problems come when people are too extreme on either end, and then take attacks on the team or on a certain path the team should take or on players or prospects personally. In line with this, there are also too many instances where people want praise for "being right " or "calling it". We all get things right and wrong in our predictions, that's not what this forum should be about. Who cares if a group of anonymous posters think you were right about a trad or prospect? What matters is if Ainge and the team management are right. If we all keep things in perspective and not lean to either extreme, we can have great discussions and learn a lot from the can other. We each bring different perspectives and different knowledge into this forum, we don't have to all agree but we can learn something from each perspective.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:14:30 PM by hpantazo »