Author Topic: Cavaliers (41-17) at Celtics (38-22) Game #61 3/1/17  (Read 47449 times)

Re: Cavaliers (41-17) at Celtics (38-22) Game #61 3/1/17
« Reply #540 on: March 01, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
You know, I used to live in the game threads years ago. There was just nothing like watching the game while talking the game in the game threads. But as the Celtics started to get old during the Big 3 era, the game threads started getting nasty because a very negative set of characters came in and just loved antagonizing those trying to cheer on the team. I stop participating in the game threads because of it. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

But one thing I loved was when the Celtic won, especially big wins against good teams, those negative participants in the threads disappeared at the end of the threads. They could never hang around and congratulate the team. They could never post positive stuff about the players they always harrassed. God forbid they ever say that Doc ever made a good move to help win the game. They just disappeared and reappeared the next game ready to spread their dissatisfaction.

So this year I haven't been participating in these game threads but I have read them. What I have seen is that not much has changed. Oh there is a new set of antagonists but things just haven't changed. Big win tonight and I see the usual 2 or 3 guys spouting off negativity have disappeared and aren't here celebrating over the win.

The more things change....the more they stay the same. WTG Celtics. Best game of the year. Loved watching it.

This is true. The game tonight was too close all night for any total negative rants about how the Celtics should made a change and this team has no future etc. We are second in the East and have a top 4 pick in the next two drafts, how anyone can spin this as bad is beyond me. I love this team and tonight was special!

« Reply #541 on: March 01, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Didn't get to post during the game, but what a win!! And a blast to watch, that was a playoff level competition.

Crowder, Horford, Bradley, Brown, even Jerebko made big plays down the stretch and IT adapted to the defense to kick out for 3s and draw FTs instead of getting overaggressive toward the rim. Brilliant stuff.

On one play in the last minute or so, IT kept dribbling around, fighting against a double team and looking for an opening, then he managed to shake loose and get into the paint and the defense collapsed on him, so he kicked it out to Bradley I think, who hit a 3. To me, that was a brilliant play by IT; it seemed like he knew that if he could get into the paint, the D would collapse and someone would be wide open, and he was right.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #542 on: March 02, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
You know, I used to live in the game threads years ago. There was just nothing like watching the game while talking the game in the game threads. But as the Celtics started to get old during the Big 3 era, the game threads started getting nasty because a very negative set of characters came in and just loved antagonizing those trying to cheer on the team. I stop participating in the game threads because of it. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore.

But one thing I loved was when the Celtic won, especially big wins against good teams, those negative participants in the threads disappeared at the end of the threads. They could never hang around and congratulate the team. They could never post positive stuff about the players they always harrassed. God forbid they ever say that Doc ever made a good move to help win the game. They just disappeared and reappeared the next game ready to spread their dissatisfaction.

So this year I haven't been participating in these game threads but I have read them. What I have seen is that not much has changed. Oh there is a new set of antagonists but things just haven't changed. Big win tonight and I see the usual 2 or 3 guys spouting off negativity have disappeared and aren't here celebrating over the win.

The more things change....the more they stay the same. WTG Celtics. Best game of the year. Loved watching it.
I agree with you nick. I see threads where there is so much negativity and anger....and the celticsare winning. 

What fun is that? Even wins are turned into pools of anger and accusations. I join. The game threads less nowadays.

It is almost as if some. Posters are afraid to be supportive or positive for fear of disappointment.

But. You are always welcome to be positive here.  ;D and a tp to cheer you up.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #543 on: March 02, 2017, 12:25:27 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

TP as usual Nick, what I've been saying lately.

Yeah, an echo chamber is clearly better to protect fragile feelings.  ::)

I don't know if Nick was referring to me as one of these "negative" posters or not, though I assume he was since I'm one of the more vocal posters in the game threads, and I don't really care. This is ultimately just a game that we all enjoy watching and discussing about on this blog. None of this ultimately matters in the grand scheme of things.

But what I've noticed though lately on this blog is that you cannot criticize this team, coach, or management/ownership this season without someone jumping down your throat labeling you as a "pessimist" or a "hater" or a "negative character," just because you have have a different opinion than them and disagree with something that was done by the team or player. These people need to grow up and stop being so dang sensitive and overprotective about their own opinions and favorite players/teams. Everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and even your favorite people err at times.

IT is a legit MVP candidate this year, and he's been beyond excellent offensively for us this year. However, the last half dozen games or so he's played selfishly and with bad decision-making, and he's been a pretty consistent poor defender his entire  Celtics career. It does not make you a "pessimist" or a "hater" to criticize him when he plays like this or plays bad defense. As long you give him his due praise when he deserves it, then it's totally fair for you to criticize him when he deserves it, and the same is true about all of the other players, Brad, and Danny, too. It just makes you a biased homer if you think you can only praise our players and not criticize them when they do things they shouldn't do.

I feel like I am fair in my criticisms, because I give our players, coach, and GM their due praise when they deserve it. Look at tonight and IT. When he forced possessions, didn't play through the offense and trust his teammates, or played bad defense, I criticized him for it and said he needs to be better. But I was also the first to praise him as soon as he did the right things, too, like the last half of the fourth quarter when he started penetrating and kicking to the open guy instead of forcing up bad shots, which he hasn't been doing the last several games.

And I think there are several other posters here who do the same things and are similarly justified doing so, yet many of us who dare to even justifiably criticize certain things about the players, coach, management, or team's play are still lumped in with those posters whose sole goal is to be negative on here (we all know who I'm talking about). Some of you need to stop being so sensitive and realize that people can have different opinions on the team and players than you, and that's okay. As long as you're fair in both your criticisms and praise, there's nothing wrong with holding players accountable.

That being said, I think I'm going to cut back posting on here, certainly the game threads, for awhile, because large portions of this blog have become toxic and major echo chambers that can't deal with anything but irrational optimism and blatant homerism about our players, team, and overall direction. It's just ridiculous having to defend yourself all of the time simply for having a contrary, critical opinion, even when you give out just as much praise to players as criticism. It doesn't make you a "hater" or "pessimist" or "someone who thinks they can coach or GM" better than Brad and Danny just because you disagree with one of their moves.

« Reply #544 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
you did praise IT, but you were not the first. :)

« Reply #545 on: March 02, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Those back to back charges taken by Smart was really something else.  Especially the first one.  He basically took a straight on full speed tackle from a huge mofo in Derrick Williams.  That seriously had to hurt.  Definition of taking one for the team.

We really need a statistic for "things that make a difference but don't show up in the box score." I'd love to see what Smart looks like there.

Mike

« Reply #546 on: March 02, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't know if Nick was referring to me as one of these "negative" posters or not, though I assume he was since I'm one of the more vocal posters in the game threads, and I don't really care. This is ultimately just a game that we all enjoy watching and discussing about on this blog. None of this ultimately matters in the grand scheme of things.

But what I've noticed though lately on this blog is that you cannot criticize this team, coach, or management/ownership this season without someone jumping down your throat labeling you as a "pessimist" or a "hater" or a "negative character," just because you have have a different opinion than them and disagree with something that was done by the team or player. These people need to grow up and stop being so dang sensitive and overprotective about their own opinions and favorite players/teams. Everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and even your favorite people err at times.

IT is a legit MVP candidate this year, and he's been beyond excellent offensively for us this year. However, the last half dozen games or so he's played selfishly and with bad decision-making, and he's been a pretty consistent poor defender his entire  Celtics career. It does not make you a "pessimist" or a "hater" to criticize him when he plays like this or plays bad defense. As long you give him his due praise when he deserves it, then it's totally fair for you to criticize him when he deserves it, and the same is true about all of the other players, Brad, and Danny, too. It just makes you a biased homer if you think you can only praise our players and not criticize them when they do things they shouldn't do.

I feel like I am fair in my criticisms, because I give our players, coach, and GM their due praise when they deserve it. Look at tonight and IT. When he forced possessions, didn't play through the offense and trust his teammates, or played bad defense, I criticized him for it and said he needs to be better. But I was also the first to praise him as soon as he did the right things, too, like the last half of the fourth quarter when he started penetrating and kicking to the open guy instead of forcing up bad shots, which he hasn't been doing the last several games.

And I think there are several other posters here who do the same things and are similarly justified doing so, yet many of us who dare to even justifiably criticize certain things about the players, coach, management, or team's play are still lumped in with those posters whose sole goal is to be negative on here (we all know who I'm talking about). Some of you need to stop being so sensitive and realize that people can have different opinions on the team and players than you, and that's okay. As long as you're fair in both your criticisms and praise, there's nothing wrong with holding players accountable.

That being said, I think I'm going to cut back posting on here, certainly the game threads, for awhile, because large portions of this blog have become toxic and major echo chambers that can't deal with anything but irrational optimism and blatant homerism about our players, team, and overall direction. It's just ridiculous having to defend yourself all of the time simply for having a contrary, critical opinion, even when you give out just as much praise to players as criticism. It doesn't make you a "hater" or "pessimist" or "someone who thinks they can coach or GM" better than Brad and Danny just because you disagree with one of their moves.
Actually no, jpotter, you aren't one of the people I had in mind. You praise as much as you critique and I don't think for an instant that you are doing it to simply spout off negativity and get a rise out of people. There are others I am refering to. Surely, you could probably hazard a guess as to who some of them are.

« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Are you actually reading the blog? Its ridden with negativity. "You cannot criticize"  ::) every little thing has been nitpicked around here.

Read your posts tonight. It goes like this.

1) Go back to smart in the post
2) Why arent we going to Smart in the post
3) Some Horford praise
4) IT is losing us the game
5) Why are we isolating IT
6) IT is forcing etc etc

Now tell me, if you are a fan trying to support your team and enjoy the game, and you see this, are you going to be happy?!

Also you call me a blatant homer? I for one do not believe we would beat the Cavs or the Raps in a series. I do not believe Smart will be an all-star despite how much I like him as a player. I do not believe Rozier should be in the rotation, or that Ainge should not have traded for Cousins. Or that Zeller received playing time today. Do I have to mention them 5x in a row?

I echoed nick's sentiments because it is what Ive said lately (go look at LarBrd farewell thread). You may not be one of those guys nick mentioned, but I called you out today because there was a stretch where you had nothing but negativity that you have to wonder if you are in the game thread or the "we shouldnt have traded for IT" thread.

« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2017, 01:50:42 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just getting back from the game.   Fun night at the Garden.  Pretty amazing action for most of the second half - especially the first 8 minutes or so of the 3rd and the last 6 off the 4th.  Kyrie was a treat to watch in person.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:44:59 AM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2017, 01:57:12 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Just getting back from the game.   Fun night at the Garden.  Pretty amazing action fur just of the second half - especially the first 8 minutes or so of the 3rd and the last 6 off the 4th.  Kyrie was a treat to watch in person.
Irving is a special special offensive player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2017, 02:25:52 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Just getting back from the game.   Fun night at the Garden.  Pretty amazing action fur just of the second half - especially the first 8 minutes or so of the 3rd and the last 6 off the 4th.  Kyrie was a treat to watch in person.

Lucky guy. Pretty amazing game even on TV.

« Reply #551 on: March 02, 2017, 02:26:49 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Jaylen during post-game interview: "It was a bar fight, man."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhUrCENPok

Yep, this kid bleeds green already.

« Reply #552 on: March 02, 2017, 02:30:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Are you actually reading the blog? Its ridden with negativity. "You cannot criticize"  ::) every little thing has been nitpicked around here.

3) Some Horford praise
6) IT is forcing etc etc

Now tell me, if you are a fan trying to support your team and enjoy the game, and you see this, are you going to be happy?!

Also you call me a blatant homer? I for one do not believe we would beat the Cavs or the Raps in a series. I do not believe Smart will be an all-star despite how much I like him as a player. I do not believe Rozier should be in the rotation, or that Ainge should not have traded for Cousins. Or that Zeller received playing time today. Do I have to mention them 5x in a row?

I echoed nick's sentiments because it is what Ive said lately (go look at LarBrd farewell thread). You may not be one of those guys nick mentioned, but I called you out today because there was a stretch where you had nothing but negativity that you have to wonder if you are in the game thread or the "we shouldnt have traded for IT" thread.

Lol that's clearly cherrypicking and an inaccurate representation. Let's not also forget to mention these praising posts, too:

Thereeeeeee you go, IT. Keep attacking Kyrie's D if he's going to do the same to you.

Yep. Shump is clearly bothering him [IT], but he's doing a pretty good job of picking his spots. We win more games that way than when he tries to hero ball too often.

IT got his groove back a bit, too.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PENETRATE AND KICK INSTEAD OF FORCING CRAP UP, IT!

Keep up the great work and smart decision-making!!

IT takes good shots that aren't forced, they go in and we go up.

IT drives and kicks out to the open guy when they collapse, we get good shots that go in.

IT plays hero ball and forces possessions, they don't go in and we lose.

Funny how that works. Keep up the smart play, IT!

That was a good, open shot for him [IT] off the side dribble. No problem at all with that shot. That's pretty much what was drawn up. It was a bit long, but he has that range.

THAT'S A W, BABY!

Great play all around to get the win!!

IT played EXCELLENT, SMART basketball down the stretch, just like we need him to.

Al had a great all around game, even if he didn't score as much.

Smart, AB, and Jae all did their things, too.

Great needed win. The addition of AB is going to be so huge for us down the stretch.

Horford with the great pass and Brown with the finish!! One more score and he has the triple double!

AMAZING D by Bradley right there!

Boy, I love Brown. He makes rookie mistakes, but he's clearly a much better player already on both sides of the ball than he was at the start of the season. The sky is the limit with this kid. His intelligence has really helped him pick up things quickly.

FINALLY, BIG AL IS BACK!

Excellent D by KO and Smart there!

I repeat, Smart is so, so special.

AB and Smart, and to a lesser extent Jae, are some of the absolute best at making things difficult for the opponent with smart, sound defense. AB's is the classic "ball hawk" that just absolutely drains you when you face him.

Yep. Love AB. Perfect professional. Sucks that he's probably the odd man out right now

And there's at least 10 more positive/praise posts throughout the thread. So, yeah, not quite as negative as your cherrypicking makes it out to be, and clearly that post is hyperbole.

EDIT: Deleted the rest. Not worth arguing over. Just know that I don't intentionally try to be excessively critical of players, if that's how you or others perceive it. I love the C's and all of our players, and, strangely enough, I'm actually an unabashed optimist in my real life. So take that for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:53:35 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #553 on: March 02, 2017, 03:34:14 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

3) Some Horford praise
6) IT is forcing etc etc

Lol that's clearly cherrypicking and an inaccurate representation. Let's not also forget to mention these praising posts, too:

Thereeeeeee you go, IT. Keep attacking Kyrie's D if he's going to do the same to you.

Yep. Shump is clearly bothering him [IT], but he's doing a pretty good job of picking his spots. We win more games that way than when he tries to hero ball too often.

IT got his groove back a bit, too.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PENETRATE AND KICK INSTEAD OF FORCING CRAP UP, IT!

Keep up the great work and smart decision-making!!

IT takes good shots that aren't forced, they go in and we go up.

IT drives and kicks out to the open guy when they collapse, we get good shots that go in.

IT plays hero ball and forces possessions, they don't go in and we lose.

Funny how that works. Keep up the smart play, IT!

That was a good, open shot for him [IT] off the side dribble. No problem at all with that shot. That's pretty much what was drawn up. It was a bit long, but he has that range.

THAT'S A W, BABY!

Great play all around to get the win!!

IT played EXCELLENT, SMART basketball down the stretch, just like we need him to.

Al had a great all around game, even if he didn't score as much.

Smart, AB, and Jae all did their things, too.

Great needed win. The addition of AB is going to be so huge for us down the stretch.

Horford with the great pass and Brown with the finish!! One more score and he has the triple double!

AMAZING D by Bradley right there!

Boy, I love Brown. He makes rookie mistakes, but he's clearly a much better player already on both sides of the ball than he was at the start of the season. The sky is the limit with this kid. His intelligence has really helped him pick up things quickly.

FINALLY, BIG AL IS BACK!

Excellent D by KO and Smart there!

I repeat, Smart is so, so special.

AB and Smart, and to a lesser extent Jae, are some of the absolute best at making things difficult for the opponent with smart, sound defense. AB's is the classic "ball hawk" that just absolutely drains you when you face him.

Yep. Love AB. Perfect professional. Sucks that he's probably the odd man out right now

And there's at least 10 more positive/praise posts throughout the thread. So, yeah, not quite as negative as your cherrypicking makes it out to be, and clearly that post is hyperbole.

EDIT: Deleted the rest. Not worth arguing over. Just know that I don't intentionally try to be excessively critical of players, if that's how you or others perceive it. I love the C's and all of our players, and, strangely enough, I'm actually an unabashed optimist in my real life. So take that for what it's worth.

So what? Even your compliments to IT had criticisms attached to it. They stand out because of how overly complimentary are you with the other players. You make it sound like IT is having a miserable game.

« Reply #554 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Good tough team win!