Author Topic: Jewish community center bomb threats  (Read 885 times)

Jewish community center bomb threats
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 341
According to the ADL, there were about 20 bomb threats to Jewish community centers on the East Coast on Monday Feb 27. This comes on the heels of Jewish headstone being knocked over in cemeteries and other similar acts so far this year.

While no one has been killed, these are acts of terrorism, right? The goal is to make a specific set of people scared for themselves, their children, their families.

I think it is disgusting behavior, and I wish more elected officials would show leadership on this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:58:37 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Jewish community center bomb threats
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 225
According to the ADL, there were about 20 bomb threats to Jewish community centers on the East Coast on Monday Feb 27. This comes on the heels of Jewish headstone being knocked over in cemeteries and other similar acts so far this year.

While no one has been killed, these are acts of terrorism, right? The goal is to make a specific set of people scared for themselves, their children, their families.

I think it is disgusting behavior, and I wish more elected officials would show leadership on this.

Apparently Muslim groups have shown more leadership in response to this than anyone in government, raising funds to help repair the damage to the Jewish centers.  Too bad Fox News probably won't report that, as it's a nice human interest story of compassion.  If Fox has reported it please let me know.  I'll be happily wrong.

Agree these attacks (and threats) are a form of terror. 

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1722

Apparently Muslim groups have shown more leadership in response to this than anyone in government, raising funds to help repair the damage to the Jewish centers.  Too bad Fox News probably won't report that, as it's a nice human interest story of compassion.  If Fox has reported it please let me know.  I'll be happily wrong.

Not sure if this counts:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/22/muslims-raise-money-jewish-cemetery-headstones-vandalized

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 692
It's bad. Along with the major uptick in KKK graffiti. It's sad. Certainly there is a certain population that feels emboldened in such things by the current administration, and the administration certainly isn't going out of its way to counteract this.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 5364
  • Yup ya do
Copying a post I put in the Trump thread on 2/10.  As one of only a handful of Jewish kids growing up in my town, I saw and heard a fair amount of crap, some of it directed at my family and friends.  I never really understood why people act this way, but ignorance breeds ignorance and so it goes on and on and on...

I agree that every political candidate has a menu of stances on a variety of economic and social issues and you do your best to match your ideological priorities up with one choice the best you can.  It's nearly impossible that you'd find a perfect match.

But we each also have a scale of which issue is of the highest priority.  Clearly, many Americans voted for Trump for economic reasons and overlooked all of the other traits they might find despicable (it didn't help that they felt sick to their stomachs by Hilary or any Dem candidate regardless). 

What, I don't understand is how on earth blatant ties to white supremacists didn't factor higher into the voting equation.  That would be a non-starter for me.  It's a completely despicable human trait and his presidency has legitimized and emboldened its place in our government and society. 

And that sucks beyond belief.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 290
And he accuses Democrats for this today instead of actually denouncing it. Unbelievably embarrassing

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Avery Bradley
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think what it reminds me of is that if you incite blame and vitriol against certain minorities, the feelings you stir up will inevitably spread to other minorities. Hate can't be easily controlled and channeled.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 692
I think what it reminds me of is that if you incite blame and vitriol against certain minorities, the feelings you stir up will inevitably spread to other minorities. Hate can't be easily controlled and channeled.

True. If you are always saying "it's not your fault, "X" is to blame!!", then, if X is gone, then it just moves to Y, Z, etc.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 225

Not sure if this counts:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/22/muslims-raise-money-jewish-cemetery-headstones-vandalized

It counts. Thanks for posting.  I'd be happy if it made the Fox TV...

Re: Jewish community center bomb threats (UPDATE: arrest made)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
There was an arrest made of a Missouri man. Seems like a very bizarre story where he was trying to frame a romantic interest of his...

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/03/arrested-missouri-man-alleged-to-have-made-at-least-eight-threats-against-manhattan-jewish-centers-110051

Thompson is alleged to have sought to harass the unnamed victim after their romantic relationship ended, with not only bomb threats, but also emails and faxes to the victimís employer and additional false reports of criminal activity.

According to prosecutors, Thompson emailed the Manhattan office of the Anti-Defamation League on Feb. 21 to warn that the target of his alleged harassment would be making bomb threats the next day. A bomb threat that explosive material had been placed in ADLís Midtown office was subsequently called in.

Thompson also allegedly made threats in his own name, in what prosecutors say was an attempt to claim the target of harassment was trying to frame him.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 111

True. If you are always saying "it's not your fault, "X" is to blame!!", then, if X is gone, then it just moves to Y, Z, etc.

Not only that, but certain members of "X" inevitably start blaming "D" and "E", and so on and so on. So "X" becomes a victim, but also an oppressor, which to "D" and "E" will justify any backlash they wish to commit.

The thing about blame is it never ends.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »

Online saltlover

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2000
There was an arrest made of a Missouri man. Seems like a very bizarre story where he was trying to frame a romantic interest of his...

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2017/03/arrested-missouri-man-alleged-to-have-made-at-least-eight-threats-against-manhattan-jewish-centers-110051

Thompson is alleged to have sought to harass the unnamed victim after their romantic relationship ended, with not only bomb threats, but also emails and faxes to the victimís employer and additional false reports of criminal activity.

According to prosecutors, Thompson emailed the Manhattan office of the Anti-Defamation League on Feb. 21 to warn that the target of his alleged harassment would be making bomb threats the next day. A bomb threat that explosive material had been placed in ADLís Midtown office was subsequently called in.

Thompson also allegedly made threats in his own name, in what prosecutors say was an attempt to claim the target of harassment was trying to frame him.

I'm not sure I would have updated the title.  There have been hundreds of threats, and this arrest only accounts for a handful.  The way it reads, the subject now implies the case has been solved.

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not sure I would have updated the title.  There have been hundreds of threats, and this arrest only accounts for a handful.  The way it reads, the subject now implies the case has been solved.

Noted. Agreed. Done.
Celtics fan for life.