Author Topic: Time to start Smart and Brown in the backcourt?  (Read 5358 times)

Time to start Smart and Brown in the backcourt?
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would like to see it. I am tired of seeing us be the 90 lb weakling. Defenses have adjusted to IT, and I think his instant offense would work better as a sixth man.

Re: Time to start Smart and Brown in the backcourt?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
They certainly need to be a more integral part of the offense.  I'd really like to see IT off the bench, but that'll never happen now.  Team building be [dang]ed.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
This is realistically impossible, because there has been so much fanfare around Isaiah this year and it would be an absolute scandal if he were sent back to the bench at this point.

With that said, the Celtics have a chance to build something very special in the coming 1-2 years, which is build a team with size at every position. Imagine if a Fultz or Ball become your PG of the future, alongside players like Smart, Jaylen Brown, and Zizic. That could be the antidote for the league's trend towards small-ball, ie a lineup where everyone is big and can defend and switch on D, while still rebounding, playmaking, shooting, etc. Something to think about.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
You're going to have to wait a while to see IT coming off the bench.  Smart has adopted nicely to the Even Turner 6th man role and we really need that bench production.  That's why Brown got those starts in place of Bradley and not Smart.   We will be drafting IT's replacement this year if we get a top 2 pick, so as soon as Fultz or Ball can show that they're ready, IT will go to the bench.   However, if we don't get a top two pick, Danny may be calling in that Brinks truck and who knows how big IT's head will get then.  He may take his hero ball to a super hero level.  That's not something I want to see, so I've got my fingers crossed for some lotto luck.  In hindsight picking third was a bit of luck, because it looks like Brown may turn out better than Ingram. 

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes... Crowder is a natural bench player

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
You don't bench a 30ppg player because of 2-3 bad games....

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As long as Bradley and IT are on this team, IT and Bradley will be your starters and should be. Simply put, they are better than Brown and Smart at this point. If Bradley is traded this offseason because we draft a guard and sign a free agent, Smart or Brown will most likely enter the starting lineup. I would expect IT to sign long term and as long as he is averaging 25+ points and 6+ assists per game, he is your starter for years to come.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:12:30 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
As long as Bradley and Smart are on this team, IT and Bradley will be your starters and should be. Simply put, they are better than Brown and Smart at this point. If Bradley is traded this offseason because we draft a guard and sign a free agent, Smart or Brown will most likely enter the starting lineup. I would expect IT to sign long term and as long as he is averaging 25+ points and 6+ assists per game, he is your starter for years to come.

This is pretty much how I see it.

Even if you start IT off the bench, his defensive miscues aren't just going to go away. Yes, he could demolish second unit defenders, but Thomas seems like the player who thrives on consistency and trust. If Stevens trusts him enough during that debacle, where Thomas felt displeasure at being the sixth man, returning him to that role would be a slap in the face considering all that has transpired during that time.

Thomas deserves to start until otherwise duly noted, nothing short of a injury, or just absolutely bombing the team.

You could argue Smart has been a better passer in the pick and roll, but Smart isn't a better PG than IT.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Actually, on paper Smart/Brown in the back court just makes me throw up. But I have been a fan of the two together. They both know how to use their length to bother scorers, and seem to both possess high basketball IQ. Smart just has a itchy trigger finger.  ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would like to try out this lineup

IT/Smart/Brown/Horford/Zeller

Rozier/Bradley/Crowder/Jerebko/Amir

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Smart/Brown/Jackson is the way to go

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nope.  Overreaction.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nope.   

The Celtics are on a down point.  Every good team (minus the Warriors at the moment) have them. 

They will go on another hot streak soon enough. 

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Let's give IT this playoffs. I'm honestly not the Mr. Glass Half full with this current iteration of the C's but this guys has earned our respect. If anything he qualifies as the Pierce piece in a "win now" plan. You don't manage that being hot garbage.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Smart and Brown would provide an instant improvement in defense, passing, rebounding and size. I don't know if they would score the ball well enough, or shoot a high enough percentage to be effective. They'd need to be surrounded by better players at the 3, 4, and 5 than the C's currently have.

But if you examine IT coming off the bench you'll see the benefits. By coming off the bench he'd be playing, at times, against the opponents backup guards. He'd be also guarding backups, (a major factor). Teams would have little chance to adjust their defense to contain him. Just the fact of coming off the bench with a scoring weapon like IT will be of benefit by immediately changing the personality of the Celtic attack, causing your opponent to have to adjust.

Buy alas this is a pipe dream, the IT the media and fans have created, and that now has him believing he's a celebrity superstar. It would in fact cause internal, and external problems of major proportions.

Too bad, because IMO you will never go deep into the playoffs with IT as the starting PG, and main scorer. He'd be bounced around like he was inside a pinball machine.