Author Topic: KO has been embarrassing  (Read 13331 times)

Re: KO has been embarrassing
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Keep on drafting Danny, you ain't made a bad pick yet

J.R. Giddens and Fab Melo (may he RIP) says otherwise

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline myselfonline

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Most of you boy's just figured this out?
He should have been gone at the deadline for defensive help.

Clueless. Our best line up includes Kelly at the PF.
Defense has been excellent this hear and Brad Stevens said he's one of our best defenders because of his versatility.
You're just a plain ol' hater. Let me guess, like every other GM in the NBA, Danny should have gone for the home run with Giannis?
For every Giannis there are at least Anthony Bennet's.

Haters gon' hate.

His defense is just legit good.  Cleveland tried to switch him onto Lebron time after time and I can't be the only one who was impressed by the fact that he did not **** the bed in those situations. 

People just need to get over the fact that he's an awkward-looking giant white guy and accept that he is a good defender. In my mind, his defensive competence is at least as valuable as his shooting.

I wish the refs saw this as well. A lot of the fouls he gets called for aren't really fouls, it just looks like it might have been a foul due to how awkward he looks.

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see several posters in here trying to make the claim that Olynyk is a good rebounder. His career TRB% is 12.4. His TRB% for the year is 12.6. For a 7 footer playing center, that's crap. He is not a good rebounder.

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I see several posters in here trying to make the claim that Olynyk is a good rebounder. His career TRB% is 12.4. His TRB% for the year is 12.6. For a 7 footer playing center, that's crap. He is not a good rebounder.

Our bigs (especially KO and Horford) spend much more time than the average big, on the perimeter.
I don't think it's fair to judge their rebounding efficiencies when they play so far away from the basket on offense. We also switch on D a tonne, which puts them out on the perimeter (especially KO) and further away from the basket.

I'm not going to pretend that KO is a great rebounder, but I think he's not as bad as people are suggesting given how much time he spends away from the basket on both ends.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
T.R.B.% is basically junk as a statistic.  If you play for the Warriors your T.R.B.% will be inflated because they shoot extremely well which doesn't afford their opponents nearly as many rebound opportunities.  If you play for a poor shooting team the opposite is true and your T.R.B% will be suppressed.  Plus every individuals usage on the floor directly impacts their ability to rebound.  A players usage on the floor either greatly enhances their ability to accumulate rebounds (Drummond is a great example who hangs in an around the paint on both ends as much as any big) or it does the exact opposite (K.O. and all stretch bigs). 

K.O. is not afforded many offensive rebound opportunities because of his usage on offense.  You cannot off. reb. if you are standing 25 feet from the hoop spreading the floor when most shots go up.  He is then used to stop transition offense of opponents.  On the defensive end K.O. defends a very high volume of shot attempts and defends the perimeter as much as an big in the league, both of which limit your ability to rebound.  When compared to similarly used big men he rebounds just fine.

Rebounding isn't just about how many you get as an individual.  Boxing out and pinning guys under the glass allowing teammates to get the rebound is no less valuable.  According to the NBA tracking data K.O. defers a very high rate of defensive rebounds to teammates, 1.8 per game in only 21.2 minutes.  This is approximately 50% more deferred rebounds per minute than Horford 1.9 in 32.8 minutes.  He's not perfect but he puts a body on someone on most every play.

K.O. is listed as a center but plays as much or more PF.  The only time he is truly playing center is when on the floor with Jerebko and in small ball units.

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Most of you boy's just figured this out?
He should have been gone at the deadline for defensive help.

Clueless. Our best line up includes Kelly at the PF.
Defense has been excellent this hear and Brad Stevens said he's one of our best defenders because of his versatility.
You're just a plain ol' hater. Let me guess, like every other GM in the NBA, Danny should have gone for the home run with Giannis?
For every Giannis there are at least Anthony Bennet's.

Haters gon' hate.

The player is to slow. Slow feet in the box. He is consistent to be in-consistent. A quality backup is what he is.

Trade chip? Absolutely.. Re-sign? No way in hell...

Playoff time Kelly will be exposed

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
T.R.B.% is basically junk as a statistic.  If you play for the Warriors your T.R.B.% will be inflated because they shoot extremely well which doesn't afford their opponents nearly as many rebound opportunities.  If you play for a poor shooting team the opposite is true and your T.R.B% will be suppressed.  Plus every individuals usage on the floor directly impacts their ability to rebound.  A players usage on the floor either greatly enhances their ability to accumulate rebounds (Drummond is a great example who hangs in an around the paint on both ends as much as any big) or it does the exact opposite (K.O. and all stretch bigs). 

K.O. is not afforded many offensive rebound opportunities because of his usage on offense.  You cannot off. reb. if you are standing 25 feet from the hoop spreading the floor when most shots go up.  He is then used to stop transition offense of opponents.  On the defensive end K.O. defends a very high volume of shot attempts and defends the perimeter as much as an big in the league, both of which limit your ability to rebound.  When compared to similarly used big men he rebounds just fine.

Rebounding isn't just about how many you get as an individual.  Boxing out and pinning guys under the glass allowing teammates to get the rebound is no less valuable.  According to the NBA tracking data K.O. defers a very high rate of defensive rebounds to teammates, 1.8 per game in only 21.2 minutes.  This is approximately 50% more deferred rebounds per minute than Horford 1.9 in 32.8 minutes.  He's not perfect but he puts a body on someone on most every play.

K.O. is listed as a center but plays as much or more PF.  The only time he is truly playing center is when on the floor with Jerebko and in small ball units.
You are about the only person I have ever seen call TRB% as a junk stat. Its for the most part universally lauded as a great way to distinguish rebounding ability while not using raw stat or raw per minute stats.

Chambers does a decent job of explaining why his TRB% might not be as high and I give some credence to this but there are other players who were 7 fotters who played on the perimeter that were able to have high TRB% so I won't completely buy into that explanation. The eye test shows KO continually getting outrebounded by smaller more athletic players when he is in rebounding position so I also base my opinion on his rebounding ability there as well. For his size, he simply isn't a good rebounder.

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2017, 03:26:50 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
More embarrassing is that Zeller is still wearing Celtics uniform. And even playing. Had some terrible minute(s) vs Cavs.

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was ready to dump him a few weeks ago, but no longer.  His team D is great.  And he's a perfect fit for Brad's system.

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2017, 09:27:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
The real question is what is he worth and how much are we willing to pay him?

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if we invest anything in this guy we're clearly striving to be average. this "space" he creates on offense by just his mere presence is an absolute myth.

defensively I admit KO is good at getting in position but that is about the only thing he does consistently well, everything else is nothing we can rely on.

so at the end of the day we have a 7 footer who can get in position to play D but can't rebound, can't consistently hit an outside shot, consistently turns down shots so someone else is forced to take a bad shot and supposedly has guard skills that we never see.

sounds like a guy we should sign long term.

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Another poor showing by Kelly. While I am certain that he is a good player, I have really cooled off from him. Hard for me to believe that he is on the next year's roster. Granted there is like 10% chance he comes back, if we fail to sign free agents, if his offer sheet is extremely low...

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 07:32:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I think he goes home to Toronto.

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
According to the tracking data Phoenix was 5-21 shooting against K.O. including 1-5 from 3, and 3-8 inside 6 feet.  That play where Williams got the rebound and putback late in the game was a tough one.  His turnovers and shooting was ugly but defensively he was pretty darn good.  The game before was terrible by accounts.

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
KO is a detriment to this team. I don't know who's worse, KO, Zeller or Jerebko.

When they come in the game, the leads shrink...just watch the games.

KO is horrible on defense, he gets outrebounded by everyone, he's soft as butter. TO be 6'10 and miss layups and use no strength is embarrassing.

We have no bigs, plain and simple. Smart plays more physical than any of our bigs.