Author Topic: KO has been embarrassing  (Read 13257 times)

Re: KO has been embarrassing
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If the Cs sign a max free agent, Olynyk is gone and I can't say I will be sad by that.

I disagree. I think that if the C's sign a max free agent, Bradley will be moved, and Olynyk kept.  This is for two reasons.  Firstly, letting Olynyk walk might not be enough to create the room necessary for a max, whereas trading Bradley might.  Secondly, there's an assumption that the signed free agent will be Hayward, and that the Brooklyn pick will be a guard.  Keeping Bradley would seem to create a minutes logjam of non-bigs.

We also might consider, especially if he is not superb in the playoffs, Isaiah is the odd man out to get a better package in return. Fultz/Ball's offensive skills could replace IT down the road, while we may need Bradley's defense to stop Curry in a hypothetical NBA Final. Also, AB's next contract will some millions away from Isaiah's and we wouldn't be so deep through the luxury tax.

Do you give this possibility any chances?

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
He is a mercurial player, but the one thing that has improved consistently (not that it's great) is his defense.  He seems to have learned to cut off angles much better and really tends to stay between the offensive player and the hoop fairly well (unless he switches to a faster guy).  Once he is between his guy and the hoop, his size works well to intimidate just enough.

Offensively in the lane Rollie, you are spot on -- clumsy and unconfident.  Sometimes, I think he forgets that he has a height advantage on most guys who cover him and I think he fears that his deficits in speed and quickness will cost him. When in the lane, he needs to use the other players strength his own advantage -- drive hard and get them engaged, then stop and pull up -- he has 5-8 feet wide open I think just about always -- no one can block the Dirk short range fallaway.  Once they start to cover that, it will open the lane more. With that said, he's been driving more -- and perhaps with some success, he'll get more comfortable.  The problem with him has always been that once he experiences some hardship (loses the ball; gets stripped; misses the shot....), he gets quickly gun-shy.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If the Cs sign a max free agent, Olynyk is gone and I can't say I will be sad by that.

I disagree. I think that if the C's sign a max free agent, Bradley will be moved, and Olynyk kept.  This is for two reasons.  Firstly, letting Olynyk walk might not be enough to create the room necessary for a max, whereas trading Bradley might.  Secondly, there's an assumption that the signed free agent will be Hayward, and that the Brooklyn pick will be a guard.  Keeping Bradley would seem to create a minutes logjam of non-bigs.

We also might consider, especially if he is not superb in the playoffs, Isaiah is the odd man out to get a better package in return. Fultz/Ball's offensive skills could replace IT down the road, while we may need Bradley's defense to stop Curry in a hypothetical NBA Final. Also, AB's next contract will some millions away from Isaiah's and we wouldn't be so deep through the luxury tax.

Do you give this possibility any chances?

There is zero possibility that Isaiah will be the odd man out if we are able to sign a max free agent.  That player is coming in part because of IT -- you can't trade IT to help make room for the new free agent.  Not happening.  At all.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
KO has shown flashes, but in total I think he has disappointed. I don't think he should get signed as his athleticism/inside defense makes him just another guy.

I imagine some team might convince themselves that he has breakout Dirk potential. If this happens, I'd be perfectly happy with him signing elsewhere.

I think Danny's two main focuses should be on interior defense and wing scoring going forward.

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Just what do people think is going to happen if the C's sign a max free agent this off season?  If they were to sign Hayward by renouncing K.O. the C's would be left with Horford as the only vet big under contract, absolutely NOT going to happen.  Even if they sign someone like Griffin it would still leave the C's maxed out and only 2 rotation bigs on the roster + Zizic, an exception, minumum guys and maybe Yabu, once again NOT going to happen. 

K.O. WILL be matched this off season it is all but guaranteed.  You cannot replace his skill set as some are suggesting as any other player that you would have in his place the C's will not be able to go over the cap to sign.

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Then what you are saying is that Bradley would be moved to a team with cap space for picks so that his salary is taken off the cap and Olynyk's cap hold is low enough to still fit in a max free agent, right? I don't know salty. I can see Bradley being moved but I would guess it would be with picks for an upgrade on the front line not so we could keep Olynyk and add more picks.

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just what do people think is going to happen if the C's sign a max free agent this off season?  If they were to sign Hayward by renouncing K.O. the C's would be left with Horford as the only vet big under contract, absolutely NOT going to happen.  Even if they sign someone like Griffin it would still leave the C's maxed out and only 2 rotation bigs on the roster + Zizic, an exception, minumum guys and maybe Yabu, once again NOT going to happen. 

K.O. WILL be matched this off season it is all but guaranteed.  You cannot replace his skill set as some are suggesting as any other player that you would have in his place the C's will not be able to go over the cap to sign.

But, as SL pointed out, this can only be done if we trade a player like Bradley. I suggested in the Bradley-Saric thread that it would at least allow us to have KO-Saric instead of Bradley, but was shot down because the poster said that we would be over the cap in this scenario. This seems strange since Saric will only be making slightly over $2M next year.

On a side note, I definitely would love to keep Bradley - he is simply everything I want a Celtic to be, but unless he is willing to take a hometown discount, it will be extremely difficult to keep him, IT, and Smart (and some may prefer him to Smart - IT is a no-go).

I generally agree on KO, though - tough to see Ainge letting him walk for nothing when he couldn't have received something of value for him at the deadline.

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I just can't see the market for a 7-footer who plays like he's 6-3.

He's in Sullinger Land as far as I'm concerned.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I've been hating on Kelly--but last night, he played like a man and not a teenager.

Sometimes I imagine what he would be like--if he had Larry Bird's attitude as a player.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Then what you are saying is that Bradley would be moved to a team with cap space for picks so that his salary is taken off the cap and Olynyk's cap hold is low enough to still fit in a max free agent, right? I don't know salty. I can see Bradley being moved but I would guess it would be with picks for an upgrade on the front line not so we could keep Olynyk and add more picks.

If we're signing a max free agent, yes.  It would be for future picks.  We just don't have the cap room otherwise (most likely -- if there's a sizable bump in the salary cap, for example, or we trade down to pick 5 for future draft assets or something else largely unexpected).  Even if the big we acquired for AB made the minimum (like Jokic), we wouldn't have the cap room. I suppose it could be for a big that makes under about $7.5 million next year and we'd sign Hayward and let KO walk.  Maybe you can find some reasonable possibilities.

It's not that I think Ainge is out for pick collection -- I just think that's the most reasonable option that will present itself, should Hayward want to come to Boston.

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I just can't see the market for a 7-footer who plays like he's 6-3.

He's in Sullinger Land as far as I'm concerned.

Oh my goodness I respectfully disagree. For all of Olynyk's faults, there will be GMs banging down the door looking for 3-point shooting, playmaking bigs. Not a lot of 7-footers in the league have Kelly's skills. That's the way the league is trending for a while now and like it or not, Kelly fits that description.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
There is approximately 0 chance that he does not get at least 10m/year in the offseason.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He played good d on LeBron .   I was impressed he did not back off and just let LeBron score at will.

Kelly has played better overall I guess ,  but then he should be further along  with his maturity as a pro player.  He needs to really step up and score the ball off the bench .  He seems kinda lost in the moment ....wake up Kelly ....do something ....is what I keep say n. as I watch .

His body language and demeanor is not very inspiring .  Has he ever taken a charge in a game.

He does not command RESPECT on the court IMO.  ........this shy ....slinking along gets him abused .

He demonstrates very little confidence on the court , other than wide open three shots. 

Without a certain amount of aggressive play , he can't command any respect from his opponents.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
There is approximately 0 chance that he does not get at least 10m/year in the offseason.

10 million is chump change. It's a bench guy salary. He will make way more than 10 million. Some players salaries this year

Amir 12 mill
Tyler Zeller 8 mill
Evan Turner 16.3 mill
Ryan Anderson 18.7 mill
Gallinari 15 mill

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

10 million is chump change. It's a bench guy salary. He will make way more than 10 million. Some players salaries this year

Amir 12 mill
Tyler Zeller 8 mill
Evan Turner 16.3 mill
Ryan Anderson 18.7 mill
Gallinari 15 mill

Amir and Zeller aren't really useful benchmarks since their salaries are deliberately inflated to be used for matching purposes, and Evan Turner is just a crazy contract.

But yeah, he's going to get more than people think.  When I say 10m what I mean is that 10m is the absolute minimum.

Great words from a great man