Author Topic: We need a GM that is hungry again  (Read 6646 times)

We need a GM that is hungry again
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Danny would not have hesitated to trade for Cousins had this been the 2007 season.  One could say that the 2008 Celtics team was not really a well-mannered team (far from it).  I believe Danny would've traded for Cousins that year when he needed anything and everything to happen and Cousins would fitted right in. 

The thing about failure or one's journey to success is that the edge is ever sharp and ready, and the needed quality to be a risk-taker is ever present.  Once success is attained it produces complacency, which is what we are seeing in Danny's case.  He hung his hat on that 2008 championship and relaxed.  His job is secured and no demands are made of him.  He became (too) methodical, too careful, and it has hurt us more than it has benefited us.  One could point to flipping the big three for high draft picks as one of Danny's greatest achievement and it would be but luck had a lot to do with it imo, thanks to the Nets for being one of the worst managed teams in the league. 

Outside of the championship, I feel Brad Stevens is Danny's greatest achievement.  Trading Perkins (for Jeff Green), his fetish with small guards, passing on big trades, never addressing the center position since Perkins, awful at drafting, overpaying talents that aren't worth it, and then the most recent we are all aware of...

Doing absolutely nothing at the deadline while we had the world in our hands to significantly upgrade this team and become a contender. 

Danny has lost IT.  I'm going to get a lot of flak for this thread but screw it.  The guy needed to be called out. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:21:28 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: We need a GM that is hungry again
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:00:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Danny would not have hesitated to trade for Cousins had this been the 2007 season.  One could say that the 2008 Celtics team was not really a well-mannered team.  Danny would've traded for Cousins that year when he needed anything and everything to happen and Cousins would fitted right in. 

The thing about failure or one's journey to success is that the edge is ever sharp and ready and the needed quality to be a risk-taker is ever present.  Once success is attained it produces complacency, which is what we are seeing in Danny's case.  He hung his hat on that 2008 championship and relaxed.  His job is secured and no demands are made of him.  He's become (too) careful and methodical and it has hurt us more than it has benefited us.  One could point to flipping the big three for high draft picks as one of Danny's greatest achievement and it would be but luck had a lot to do with it, thanks to the Nets for being one of the worst managed teams in the league. 

Outside of the championship, I feel Brad Stevens is Danny's greatest achievement.  Trading Perkins (for Jeff Green), his fetish with small guards, passing on big trades, never addressing the center position since Perkins, awful at drafting, overpaying talents that aren't worth it, and then the most recent we are all aware of...

Doing absolutely nothing at the deadline while we have the world in our hands to significantly upgrade this team and become a contender. 

Danny has lost IT.  I'm going to get a lot of flak for this thread but screw it.  The guy need to be called out.

Okay, so which GM do you propose should be the replacement for Danny Ainge? Shoot some names.

Me? I trust Ainge.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Danny has lost IT? Because IT had hist first stretch of bad games all year?  Danny isn't hungry to win anymore? Are we serious people?

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
One of the funniest things after a celtics loss is to go right over to celticsblog and see the ridiculous threads and opinions people have. Never fails.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw the topic of the thread and figured it had to be one of three posters.  guessed right.

Cousins isn't turning around the fortunes in NO.  hard to give credibility to the argument Danny missed on that.

Would like to see him get Bogut and even Jones since they'd be preferable on the bench to Jackson and Mickey. 

Ok with Danny playing his cards smartly rather than rushing into a quick trade that doesn't build the team towards a strong future.  I want to contend for a decade, not one year.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I hear you but Cs are in a very good situation relative to 2007 when we were one of the worst teams. The main thing is to not over react to the ups and downs of a season. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:06:32 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I hear Billy King is available. He's shown in the past he's "hungry to win." Isaiah Thomas (the elder one) is out there too.

Do it, Wyc!!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
One of the funniest things after a celtics loss is to go right over to celticsblog and see the ridiculous threads and opinions people have. Never fails.

I've been criticizing Danny since the draft.  This is not new.  I'm not one of those.  Also this isn't going to be the only loss going forward.  And good luck getting out of the 1st or the 2nd round in the playoffs.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 10:22:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I hear you but Cs are in a very good situation relative to 2007 when we were one of the worst teams. The main thing is to not over react to the ups and downs of a season.

I agree. i'd rather have a patient GM than one hungry to make a quick splash, see King, Billy.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We have two Celtics fans here  those that bend over and take what ainge gives them and those that bend over and tell ainge to kiss it

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
saw the topic of the thread and figured it had to be one of three posters.  guessed right.

TP. Figured it was Clench, cltc5 or flybono. I guessed right

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:24:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ainge is a great GM and Im glad he doesnt make panic moves.

In sports, job security, generally speaking, is very good because it allows you to be patient and not have your hand forced into a bad move that hurts the franchise long term.

Look around the league.

Washington is currently behind us in the standings despite being healthier than us. We have better prospects and draft picks than them.

Toronto is in the midst of its peak and is still far from a credible contender

Atlanta is basically us sans 3 top 5 picks

Indiana and Chicago are busy wasting the primes of Paul George and Jimmy Butler

Detroit just contemplated trading their entire team.

Milwaukee has great young talent, but theyve been rebuilding for about a decade now and Parker is 2 acls deep and Middleton had his injury issues too. Plus, they are below .500

Charlotte is a poor mans atlanta.

New York needs no explanation

Philly is entirely reliant on a big man who missed his entire first two seasons, then was treated with the gentlest of kid gloves for half a season and still couldnt stay healthy

Orlando's been rebuilding for about 7 years and a brief look at the Ibaka debacle shows how terrible their management is

the Nets are the Nets

Cleveland is really lucky Lebron is from Ohio.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Ainge is a good GM. Him not trading for Cousins doesn't bother me. Cousins' attitude issues are well documented and we do have some young guys in the locker room.

However... He didn't have to make a blockbuster to help this team. It's frustrating to hear him say he "likes this team" when this team has glaring flaws; rebounding, lack of consistent scoring outside of IT, and interior defense that could've been addressed with minor trades that wouldn't have cost us crucial assets. Nerlens Noel was essentially traded for 2 second rounders and expirings. We could've added a guy like PJ Tucker.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Danny dodged a bullet by not trading for Cousins. Demarcus is emotionally unstable, and the league knows it. The Kings received little for him compared to what some on this forum wanted to pay for him. The front office in Sacramento must be so relieved, and happy he's finally gone.

I wish DA would have done more to address our rebounding problem, but rebounding isn't our only problem. Our offense is really unbalanced.

DA is mostly a good GM, he has a certain vision, and he sticks to it. No GM is perfect.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I hear Billy King is available. He's shown in the past he's "hungry to win." Isaiah Thomas (the elder one) is out there too.

Do it, Wyc!!!!

Puahaha

King would send all those nets pick for carmelo and joakim noah