Author Topic: Embiid out indefinitely  (Read 4021 times)

Re: Embiid out indefinitely
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
There is clearly something wrong with him structurally, just as there was with Oden (one leg longer than the other). His body simply doesn't seem meant to play basketball. Even watching his games there are countless times that his knee buckles without contact.

This is a prime example of the lack of stability of his legs. It's this constant non-contact buckling that would scare the hell out of me if I were a Sixers fan.

(44 second mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0ZJuqQ_C0
Just asking but iirc everyone has legs of different length (albeit slighter than oden, his difference is more than an inch)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Hard not to jump to conclusions about his future.  It's looking like a decent bet that his career will be shortened or at least stifled to some extent by injury.  But of course no one really knows.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Lot's of over reaction for a minor knee injury. Meniscus tears are relatively common, Blake Griffin had one early on in his career, so did several very good players. I had one a few years back, not a big deal. The Sixers of course are glad to find an excuse to rest him and Simmons and tank the rest of the way though.

Embiid looked fantastic this season, especially for a guy who hadn't played in 2 years. A meniscus tear is common when you ramp up basketball activity after such a long period of no basketball.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Embiid is an pleasure to watch. He's literally one of the scariest players in the NBA, if he ever is able to maintain longevity in his career.

Maybe he should start taking different methods of approach for treatment? As users have said, structurally, there is just some cringe-worthy moments when he gets hit with hard contract. But he seems to keep on getting back up.

His arsenals of move is way ahead for a guy who just started playing at 15.

I hope him and Simmons can be healthy. It would be fun to see how they do as a duo for the 76ers. There really is not much the 76ers can hope, unless they get two lottery picks. Then they can decide from where to build from.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Lot's of over reaction for a minor knee injury. Meniscus tears are relatively common, Blake Griffin had one early on in his career, so did several very good players. I had one a few years back, not a big deal. The Sixers of course are glad to find an excuse to rest him and Simmons and tank the rest of the way though.

Embiid looked fantastic this season, especially for a guy who hadn't played in 2 years. A meniscus tear is common when you ramp up basketball activity after such a long period of no basketball.
If it's just a meniscus tear, holding him out is precautionary and tankjuice.  Meniscus tears are the canker sores of sports.  Half the people commenting in this thread probably have some tears in their meniscus they aren't aware of. 

If the MRI reveals something else, that's concerning.   I still think I'd give up the entire team for Embiid.  He's a lock for Naismith if he stays healthy.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

If it's just a meniscus tear, holding him out is precautionary and tankjuice.  Meniscus tears are the canker sores of sports.  Half the people commenting in this thread probably have some tears in their meniscus they aren't aware of. 

If the MRI reveals something else, that's concerning.   I still think I'd give up the entire team for Embiid.  He's a lock for Naismith if he stays healthy.

Yea people don't usually get MRI's for canker sores. Also certainly shades of Greg Oden having knee pain before his kneecap exploded and ended his career. It was just a minor injury for a guy that couldn't stay healthy at one point there. Too much smoke to ignore at this point as just nothing.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
[ ] Surprised
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yea people don't usually get MRI's for canker sores. Also certainly shades of Greg Oden having knee pain before his kneecap exploded and ended his career. It was just a minor injury for a guy that couldn't stay healthy at one point there. Too much smoke to ignore at this point as just nothing.

Well he's getting an MRI because it still swells up when he plays. I got an MRI for what ended up being being my meniscus tear, and my knee is not nearly as valuable as Embiid's.

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
This is why I would always think wait and see when someone thought the Sixers were the next contender. Embiid hasn't even finished a full season yet and was on restricted minutes. Better see how those feet hold up for a year or two first.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Well he's getting an MRI because it still swells up when he plays. I got an MRI for what ended up being being my meniscus tear, and my knee is not nearly as valuable as Embiid's.

You're selling yourself way short here, Harry.  Knee-shmee... I highly doubt Embiid could post to your quality.

While a meniscus tear may not be a big deal, in the larger context... not good.  One injury after another for Embiid, and stress fractures in his foot + spondylosis is really bad for a big man, right?

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Much respect for you as a poster man, but this is just flat out not true.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I am not sure what you are referencing, MRI's for canker sores? If people have sores not healing in their mouth there would be blood tests for autoimmune diseases or perhaps a bioopsy of the damaged tissue right? Or are you referencing something else?

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/02/27/philadelphia-76ers-joel-embiid-out-indefinitely-knee-swelling

What a talent... But always injured...

Out of the many scary knee related injuries only 1 player I know has been able to stay healthy post surgery - Westbrook

For sure I would stay away from Giles

Noel seems ok.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I am not sure what you are referencing, MRI's for canker sores? If people have sores not healing in their mouth there would be blood tests for autoimmune diseases or perhaps a bioopsy of the damaged tissue right? Or are you referencing something else?

Sarcasm fellas

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Lot's of over reaction for a minor knee injury.

Let's review.

1.  Couldn't make it through one year of college ball without suffering a season-ending injury.

2.  Missed two entire seasons of NBA ball due to injuries.

3.  When playing possibly the easiest schedule of any starting player in league history, he suffers ANOTHER significant injury.

Yes, he's young.  Yes, modern medical science and rehab is amazing.  However, you have to be crazy to not be very concerned at this point if you work or cheer for the Sixers.

It should also be noted that if Noel and Embiid had not been hurt going into their drafts, they would absolutely have been picked before they got to the Sixers.  Life's funny that way.

Mike