Author Topic: Kyle Lowry Out Until (At Least) Playoffs  (Read 3913 times)

Re: Kyle Lowry Out Until (At Least) Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This will hopefully ensure that the Raps can't catch up to the Celts.

Name of the game is trying to catch Cleveland, make sure Washington doesn't catch up.

Interesting notion: What if the Raps drop to the 6th or 7th seed and the Celts end up playing them in the 1st round?

I kinda think the Raps could win a series against the Celts even without Lowry, as long as DD is healthy.  Derozan just eats the Celts alive.

I guess there's a conceivable worst-case scenario where we let the Wizards catch up and Toronto drops all the way to 6, and then Lowry comes back right in time for the playoffs.  Odds seem pretty slim though.

My dream realistic scenario would be to blow out the Raptors in the first round, then beat the Wizards in a close series.  Then lose to the Cavs in 7 games in a super close contest, where the Cavs end up winning the championship.  Then, we win the lottery and draft Fultz.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Tough break for Lowry.  Initially I thought it was only a matter of time before the Raptors passed us and grabbed the 2 seed, but this injury could possibly stop that.  If the Cs continue to win at the pace they're currently winning, I think the 2 seed is still very attainable.

In terms of a possible 2/3 matchup in the second round against the Raptors without Lowry?...I still say the Toronto wins that series in 6 games.  If the Raptors have a full squad, they win in 5.  And as we've seen so far this season, whether it's a game without Lowry or a game without Derozan, the Raptors are a terrible matchup for the Cs and or more than likely to win.

Are the Celtics healthy for that matchup? Because they've been without Bradley for 3 out of 4 games and IT for the other one.  I just don't think we truly know how well the teams match up when healthy. We haven't seen it yet.

Plus, I don't think they were going to catch us anyways. If we play good ball the rest of the way like we should, they'd have to play extremely well to make up the full 3 game difference on us the rest of the way.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Name of the game is trying to catch Cleveland, make sure Washington doesn't catch up.

Interesting notion: What if the Raps drop to the 6th or 7th seed and the Celts end up playing them in the 1st round?

I kinda think the Raps could win a series against the Celts even without Lowry, as long as DD is healthy.  Derozan just eats the Celts alive.

I guess there's a conceivable worst-case scenario where we let the Wizards catch up and Toronto drops all the way to 6, and then Lowry comes back right in time for the playoffs.  Odds seem pretty slim though.

My dream realistic scenario would be to blow out the Raptors in the first round, then beat the Wizards in a close series.  Then lose to the Cavs in 7 games in a super close contest, where the Cavs end up winning the championship.  Then, we win the lottery and draft Fultz.

It's not unrealistic to think we can beat the Cavs.  Unlikely, but not unrealistic.  Dream a little bit more.

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
The Raptors should still keep their heads above water at the 4/5 seed until Lowry gets back, maybe even challenging for the number 3 seed with Washington regressing and having such a tough schedule.

At this point, unless something catastrophic happens and we don't play consistent, good ball the rest of the way, we should be no less than the 2 seed in the playoffs. It's going to be a dogfight between those three teams for the 3 seed, though.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

That is probably the worst case scenario. I'm still much more afraid of the Raptors than I am the Wizards.

Wizard at home: 24-8 .750 winning percentage
Remaining home games: 9

Wizard on the road: 10-15 .400 winning percentage
Remaining away games: 16

If they keep the same home road splits they will finish the rest of their games at 13-12. That would be good for 47 wins. If we don't win 10 more games this year something will have went terribly wrong. If the Wiz can't win on the road, I think they would have serious trouble winning in Boston with a playoff crowd.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account‏@WojVerticalNBA 55m55 minutes ago

Sources: Lowry could return within four-to-five weeks, play regular season games prior to playoffs.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

That is probably the worst case scenario. I'm still much more afraid of the Raptors than I am the Wizards.

Wizard at home: 24-8 .750 winning percentage
Remaining home games: 9

Wizard on the road: 10-15 .400 winning percentage
Remaining away games: 16

If they keep the same home road splits they will finish the rest of their games at 13-12. That would be good for 47 wins. If we don't win 10 more games this year something will have went terribly wrong. If the Wiz can't win on the road, I think they would have serious trouble winning in Boston with a playoff crowd.

"Old School +/-" = Road wins - Home losses

BOS +10
CLE +9
TOR +4
ATL +4
WAS +2

Not worried about WAS with its schedule.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

It's not unrealistic to think we can beat the Cavs.  Unlikely, but not unrealistic.  Dream a little bit more.
Well, considering that the Cavs get to play 8 vs. 5 in the playoffs --- probably best to keep dreaming...   no way no how the league lets them lose before the finals.   

Lebron is the leagues meal ticket, has been that way for 5+ yrs. now, no sense in ignoring it. 

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Sorry to be "that guy" here...

But the Raptors beat us up without Lowry a few nights ago.

But yeah this makes the Raptors a little less of a threat to catch us for the 2 seed.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Tough break for Lowry.  Initially I thought it was only a matter of time before the Raptors passed us and grabbed the 2 seed, but this injury could possibly stop that.  If the Cs continue to win at the pace they're currently winning, I think the 2 seed is still very attainable.

In terms of a possible 2/3 matchup in the second round against the Raptors without Lowry?...I still say the Toronto wins that series in 6 games.  If the Raptors have a full squad, they win in 5.  And as we've seen so far this season, whether it's a game without Lowry or a game without Derozan, the Raptors are a terrible matchup for the Cs and or more than likely to win.

Are the Celtics healthy for that matchup? Because they've been without Bradley for 3 out of 4 games and IT for the other one.  I just don't think we truly know how well the teams match up when healthy. We haven't seen it yet.

We have been losing to team who are guard heavy because we don't have AB.
Don't forget the impact defensively with AB compensating for IT (switch).

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Whoah. That's huge.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Whoah. That's huge.

Honestly, not really.  It was not highly likely that the Raptors would pass the Celtics and grab the 2-seed unless (a) the Cs bombed or (b) the Raps went crazy with a run.  I will admit that the latter was possible and that them not being a 2 or 3 seed means the Celtics might not face them in the playoffs, which could be big.

Also really doesn't affect the Raps in the playoffs. They will stay 4/5 and should beat Atlanta homecourt or not.  Then they get Cleveland in the second round, and they need to beat them regardless to get to the Finals so why not do it sooner?

Same situation for Clips in the West.  If I am a fan of either team I just want full health at the start of the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Whoah. That's huge.

Honestly, not really.  It was not highly likely that the Raptors would pass the Celtics and grab the 2-seed unless (a) the Cs bombed or (b) the Raps went crazy with a run.  I will admit that the latter was possible and that them not being a 2 or 3 seed means the Celtics might not face them in the playoffs, which could be big.

Also really doesn't affect the Raps in the playoffs. They will stay 4/5 and should beat Atlanta homecourt or not.  Then they get Cleveland in the second round, and they need to beat them regardless to get to the Finals so why not do it sooner?

Same situation for Clips in the West.  If I am a fan of either team I just want full health at the start of the playoffs.
Seeding still matters. Raptors could be a 5 seed and lose home court. They are .500 on the road, very good at home. And we are assuming Lowry comes back 100% from his wrist surgery.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 05:51:12 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I actually hope Raptors can take the 3rd seat over the Wizards, so we don't have to face the Wizards at the 2nd round. Raptors don't do so well in playoffs.

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Sorry to be "that guy" here...

But the Raptors beat us up without Lowry a few nights ago.

But yeah this makes the Raptors a little less of a threat to catch us for the 2 seed.

We really did blow that game, it was in Toronto and we were shorthanded in our own right (bradley should be back for playoffs)