Author Topic: Kyle Lowry Out Until (At Least) Playoffs  (Read 3914 times)

Kyle Lowry Out Until (At Least) Playoffs
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Per the Raptors PR. Quite the development.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Kyle Lowry Out Until (At Least) Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Wow. Can't help but feel bad for Raptors even though this probably helps us a bit. They went all in and now it might have been for nothing as Lowry and Ibaka both go into free agency.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This will hopefully ensure that the Raps can't catch up to the Celts.

Name of the game is trying to catch Cleveland, make sure Washington doesn't catch up.

Interesting notion: What if the Raps drop to the 6th or 7th seed and the Celts end up playing them in the 1st round?

I kinda think the Raps could win a series against the Celts even without Lowry, as long as DD is healthy.  Derozan just eats the Celts alive.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Whoa.  This changes the East a bit, especially if he can't return for the first round.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Wow. Can't help but feel bad for Raptors even though this probably helps us a bit. They went all in and now it might have been for nothing as Lowry and Ibaka both go into free agency.

Maybe a bit of understatement lol. The second best team in the East just lost its best player for the rest of the season. That's huge.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Name of the game is trying to catch Cleveland, make sure Washington doesn't catch up.

Washington will make sure of that second part on their own.  I wonder if Atlanta can play well enough to move into the 3-spot.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Maybe a bit of understatement lol. The second best team in the East just lost its best player for the rest of the season. That's huge.

IT is out?!?!?  ;)

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Raptors get outscored by 6 points per 100 possessions when DeRozan is on the floor without Lowry. Overall, Raptors are -3.5 with Lowry off.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/836308799300460545

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Interesting notion: What if the Raps drop to the 6th or 7th seed and the Celts end up playing them in the 1st round?

I kinda think the Raps could win a series against the Celts even without Lowry, as long as DD is healthy.  Derozan just eats the Celts alive.

I guess there's a conceivable worst-case scenario where we let the Wizards catch up and Toronto drops all the way to 6, and then Lowry comes back right in time for the playoffs.  Odds seem pretty slim though.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

IT is out?!?!?  ;)

Haha, Toronto owns us mentally. I just don't feel comfortable saying we're better (with Lowry healthy).

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Wow...that's horrible!

He's like the East Coast version of CP3.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Tough break for Lowry.  Initially I thought it was only a matter of time before the Raptors passed us and grabbed the 2 seed, but this injury could possibly stop that.  If the Cs continue to win at the pace they're currently winning, I think the 2 seed is still very attainable.

In terms of a possible 2/3 matchup in the second round against the Raptors without Lowry?...I still say the Toronto wins that series in 6 games.  If the Raptors have a full squad, they win in 5.  And as we've seen so far this season, whether it's a game without Lowry or a game without Derozan, the Raptors are a terrible matchup for the Cs and or more than likely to win.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

IT is out?!?!?  ;)

Haha, Toronto owns us mentally. I just don't feel comfortable saying we're better (with Lowry healthy).

Not really fair to say that without mentioning the fact that we've been missing one of IT or AB every game with them this year. Even if individually they are better players, both of our backcourt members are just about as important as their backcourt members, and all of the games were really, really close still. Of course, both Lowry and Derozan missed a game apiece separately against us, but they had two games with both of them in there.

So I really see this matchup as a wash. Maybe you give them the slight lead at 51/49 or something like that, but when you factor in the fact that we will have homecourt advantage, I think it's a wash.

EDIT: Hell, we've been missing several players in most of our games with them this year:
Game 1: IT (Huge)
Game 2: AB
Game 3: AB and KO (Huge lack of shooting)
Game 4: AB and Green

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Tough break for Lowry.  Initially I thought it was only a matter of time before the Raptors passed us and grabbed the 2 seed, but this injury could possibly stop that.  If the Cs continue to win at the pace they're currently winning, I think the 2 seed is still very attainable.

In terms of a possible 2/3 matchup in the second round against the Raptors without Lowry?...I still say the Toronto wins that series in 6 games.  If the Raptors have a full squad, they win in 5.  And as we've seen so far this season, whether it's a game without Lowry or a game without Derozan, the Raptors are a terrible matchup for the Cs and or more than likely to win.

Are the Celtics healthy for that matchup? Because they've been without Bradley for 3 out of 4 games and IT for the other one.  I just don't think we truly know how well the teams match up when healthy. We haven't seen it yet.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've seen some reports say 4 to 5 weeks, which means he could be back during the regular season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip