Author Topic: Jones unlikely to sign with Cs  (Read 2426 times)

Jones unlikely to sign with Cs
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Boston Celtics could use some frontcourt help, but it doesn’t appear they’ll address that need by signing Terrence Jones. Jones, who recently was bought out by the New Orleans Pelicans after the team acquired All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins from the Sacramento Kings, had preliminary discussions with the Celtics, but it’s unlikely the veteran forward will sign with Boston, a league source told The Boston Globe. Jones averaged 11.5 points and 5.9 rebounds per game in 51 games with the Pelicans this season and could be a nice addition to a team looking for some help on the glass.

A source told The Boston Globe that the 25-year-old is focused on landing somewhere where he’ll play extensively, though, and there’s no guarantee the C’s would be able to provide that opportunity, especially since Boston would have to waive a player to facilitate such a move. A source told The Boston Globe that Jones’ camp has had discussions with several teams but that no deal appears imminent as of Monday.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-terrence-jones-unlikely-to-sign-with-celtics-despite-talks/

Getting rid of someone isn't much of an issue. Getting lots of minutes is.

Re: Jones unlikely to sign with Cs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Is it? He's already better than Amir and Jonas.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
well i disagree with this...
you're telling me we cant squeeze 15-20mpg by re-allocating Amir's, Jerebko's, and James's Young's minutes?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm sure he was told he can earn his minutes.  I guess he doesn't agree with your assessment.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
you're telling me we cant squeeze 15-20mpg by re-allocating Amir's, Jerebko's, and James's Young's minutes?

Think he might want to start.  That's what he was doing in New Orleans for a bit.

It makes sense: he's a 25 year old who has to rebuild his value for a new contract.  Starting on a bad team makes so much more sense than playing 15-20 minutes a game for a contender.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Think he might want to start.  That's what he was doing in New Orleans for a bit.

It makes sense: he's a 25 year old who has to rebuild his value for a new contract.  Starting on a bad team makes so much more sense than playing 15-20 minutes a game for a contender.

Any playoff team that will pick him up on waivers, will unlikely need a starter.. Unless he wants to be on seeds 5-8 of either conference
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Any playoff team that will pick him up on waivers, will unlikely need a starter.. Unless he wants to be on seeds 5-8 of either conference

Exactly, I think his preference would be starting games for a low-end playoff team (or even a lottery team) instead of coming off the bench for a better one.  It makes sense for him.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He want assurances. 

Celtics are not in position to do that. 

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Jones might actually be their 2nd best two-way big after Horford. I'm pretty much done with Zeller, Jerebko, and AJ. Hopefully, all three will be gone over the summer. Olynyk is an effective offensive player only.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Fine...either you're with us or you ain't...ride or die!

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not surprising.  Makes sense for him to try to go somewhere that will offer him a chance to get a lot of minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Gotta be better than that goofy doofus KO. 

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Numbers are pretty similar to AJ's, with AJ having better advanced stats and more familiarity with team. Don't get the sense there's much room for Jones on next year's roster either.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:31 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Has he cleared waivers? Couldn't the Celtics claim him if they wanted to?

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Gotta be better than that goofy doofus KO.

http://bkref.com/tiny/oHtvV

Not really. Different positions and games. KO has a slightly higher rebounding %, better passer, more efficient shooter, better advanced stats. TJ better defender, slightly higher PER.