Author Topic: Rozier following the mold of Smart?  (Read 1543 times)

Rozier following the mold of Smart?
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Watching last nights game I started to notice how much better Rozier has been playing.. Now I have been critical all year of him and felt like he shouldnt even of been on the floor at times but a few things I've noticed are almost identical to Smart ...

Plays good defense ... moves feet well and stays with defender ... quick can get scrappy - not as good as Smart but getting better..

Also handling the ball better... looks like the game is slowing down for him..

Now the negative comparisons ... both are bad at driving to the rim... too many swiped balls, blocked shots, out of control at times...

Both can really heat up at the 3 which is good... Rozier actually has a better 3pt% vs overall% over the past 12 games..

Point is I guess I understand why DA was so reluctant to give him up for a rental..

Re: Rozier following the mold of Smart?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I still think hes awful. Horrible on defense, ball stopper on offense.

That said, the potential is easy to see. Hes a terrific athlete with a penchant for making big/tough shots.

I hope Bradleys return results in his role disappearing.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Watching last nights game I started to notice how much better Rozier has been playing.. Now I have been critical all year of him and felt like he shouldnt even of been on the floor at times but a few things I've noticed are almost identical to Smart ...

Plays good defense ... moves feet well and stays with defender ... quick can get scrappy - not as good as Smart but getting better..

Now the negative comparisons ... both are bad at driving to the rim... too many swiped balls, blocked shots, out of control at times...

Both can really heat up at the 3 which is good... Rozier actually has a better 3pt% vs overall% over the past 12 games..

Point is I guess I understand why DA was so reluctant to give him up for a rental..

I think Smart is the better ball handler at the PG position, so when the both of them play together, I prefer Rozier to be the SG. Rozier is a score-first guard with the exception of when IT is on the floor. I feel when Rozier is on the floor the same time as Smart, Smart's production as a pg goes down dramatically (just by watching no numbers proof).

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

First year with somewhat consistent minutes. It amazes me how little he's talked about. He's a darn good prospect, just like Brown.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rozier pounds the ball too much, his style of play hurts the ball movement of the team.  He needs to cut this down if he is going to be part of the team long term.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Rozier pounds the ball too much, his style of play hurts the ball movement of the team.  He needs to cut this down if he is going to be part of the team long term.

Sounds like another player we used to have that also played his college ball in the state of Kentucky.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he is just a victim of the minutes crunch when everyone is healthy.   Add in that the three main guards ahead of him are also small, consistent minutes are hard to find.

With the injuries, minutes have opened up and he has been able to settle into a role, and his play has improved.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
He's been pretty bad.  Looks like he has a lot of potential because his ridiculous athleticism and decent shooting stroke, but he's low BBIQ and doesn't have any real PG skills for now.  Hopefully he'll be more developed next year but for now it hurts us when he plays.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I think Jackson is better than Rozier, a lot better actually. Rozier is talented, he just doesnt fit this style of play on the offensive end.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
I think Jackson is better than Rozier, a lot better actually. Rozier is talented, he just doesnt fit this style of play on the offensive end.

I don't understand how you could possibly have enough information to make that determination.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I still think hes awful. Horrible on defense, ball stopper on offense.

That said, the potential is easy to see. Hes a terrific athlete with a penchant for making big/tough shots.

I hope Bradleys return results in his role disappearing.

He makes me cringe but he also makes a play or two every game that is good. Big rebound or a big shot. Maybe he really shows something in practice. He's the worst defender on this team by a lot.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I don't understand how you could possibly have enough information to make that determination.

if i had a nickle for every time i had to use this during every "Rozier > Smart" post after 2016 summer league.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

if i had a nickle for every time i had to use this during every "Rozier > Smart" post after 2016 summer league.

Seriously. Jackson has played 17 minutes this season. I don't know if I could pick him out of a lineup, never mind know if he's better or worse than Rozier.