Author Topic: Lottery outcome will push Danny's hand  (Read 2353 times)

Lottery outcome will push Danny's hand
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Looking at the landscape of the NBA its is fairly clear that baring major injuries the Cavs will rule the east for the next 2 seasons.( Lebron is currently 32 ). Out west the warriors could potentially have a 5-6 year dynasty on their hands if everyone stays with the team.

With this being the case the Cs obviously handled this past trade deadline with the mind set of all or nothing. If George of Bulter could have been obtained while still retaining enough players to beat the Cavs DA would have made a trade. This wasn't the case so rather then make a small move to better compete with the Raptors and Wiz Danny wisely stood pat.

The Draft and more specifically the lottery will be Danny's next big hurdle.

If the Cs land the #1 or #2 pick they either draft a potential face of the franchise PG in Fultz or Ball or use that pick to bring in George (if sure of resign) or Butler. By not trading the pick the Cs will have a potential locker room issue with IT and the new player. I believe that an IT and Ball back-court will work but also fear IT will view the pick as a slight. This log jam may push DAs hand into making the win now trade and taking Lebron head on in the end of his prime.

If the Cs lose out on a top 2 pick they will find themselves in the same position as this season. They can draft a high ceiling prospect and allow him to grow into a role much like Jaylen has this season. At 3-4 its early but I would figure Jackson and Issac to be the next guys off the board. Out of those two Jackson will be ready to contribute from day 1 and if AB is moved for a big man his role maybe similar to Brown's this year. Long term Brown and Jackson at the 2/3 wing positions could prove to be a dynamic math-cup problem. Issac is perhaps the best system fit in this draft. He is a risk in that he needs to add strength but his skill set as a 3/4 could be special. At 6'10+ with good length and a 3pt shot he could fill Jerebko's niche and eventually become a starting stretch 4 who provides a solid amount of rim protection.

Either way drafting one of these two wings will not risk the locker room issues that drafting another PG could cause. As a fan who is rather patient and in no hurry to see a team peak in the ECF I hope DA holds on to the high potential assets no matter the short term costs. When you project 3-4 years down the road in the east the 76ers appear to be the top in the conference but they sit there with a lot of injury concerns, the bucks where the other up and comers but the Parker injury really hurts them. After that its wide open and if DA lands a star in this draft, Smart and Jaylen continue to grow, and Zizic and Yabu are 75% of what the hype says they are the Cs are looking really good. Not to mention a potentially strong 2018 lottery.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Lottery outcome will push Danny's hand
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don't mind drafting a rookie, even if it's not Fultz. But DA has to make a choice soon, particularly with our underpaid players soon to make bank. Guys like IT, Bradley and Smart are due for a payday. If we keep all those guys and pay them market value, then essentially that counts as our "big signing" or "big trade".
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Looking at the landscape of the NBA its is fairly clear that baring major injuries the Cavs will rule the east for the next 2 seasons.( Lebron is currently 32 ). Out west the warriors could potentially have a 5-6 year dynasty on their hands if everyone stays with the team.

With this being the case the Cs obviously handled this past trade deadline with the mind set of all or nothing. If George of Bulter could have been obtained while still retaining enough players to beat the Cavs DA would have made a trade. This wasn't the case so rather then make a small move to better compete with the Raptors and Wiz Danny wisely stood pat.

The Draft and more specifically the lottery will be Danny's next big hurdle.

If the Cs land the #1 or #2 pick they either draft a potential face of the franchise PG in Fultz or Ball or use that pick to bring in George (if sure of resign) or Butler. By not trading the pick the Cs will have a potential locker room issue with IT and the new player. I believe that an IT and Ball back-court will work but also fear IT will view the pick as a slight. This log jam may push DAs hand into making the win now trade and taking Lebron head on in the end of his prime.

If the Cs lose out on a top 2 pick they will find themselves in the same position as this season. They can draft a high ceiling prospect and allow him to grow into a role much like Jaylen has this season. At 3-4 its early but I would figure Jackson and Issac to be the next guys off the board. Out of those two Jackson will be ready to contribute from day 1 and if AB is moved for a big man his role maybe similar to Brown's this year. Long term Brown and Jackson at the 2/3 wing positions could prove to be a dynamic math-cup problem. Issac is perhaps the best system fit in this draft. He is a risk in that he needs to add strength but his skill set as a 3/4 could be special. At 6'10+ with good length and a 3pt shot he could fill Jerebko's niche and eventually become a starting stretch 4 who provides a solid amount of rim protection.

Either way drafting one of these two wings will not risk the locker room issues that drafting another PG could cause. As a fan who is rather patient and in no hurry to see a team peak in the ECF I hope DA holds on to the high potential assets no matter the short term costs. When you project 3-4 years down the road in the east the 76ers appear to be the top in the conference but they sit there with a lot of injury concerns, the bucks where the other up and comers but the Parker injury really hurts them. After that its wide open and if DA lands a star in this draft, Smart and Jaylen continue to grow, and Zizic and Yabu are 75% of what the hype says they are the Cs are looking really good. Not to mention a potentially strong 2018 lottery.   

If Danny thinks he can win a championship with IT as his leading scorer and starting PG, I think he will give him max deal.  In which case, he will either trade the top pick for an established star like Butler or George, trade down a space or two and grab Jackson (who should fit in very well and right away), or just draft Jackson with the top pick or two if he can't trade down.  Those are all good options. I agree with you that he is unlikely to draft Ball, or even Fultz, but only if he is "all in" on IT. I think that is still an open question. If Danny is not all in with IT, then he could package IT and Bradley for a good player, and build team around Ball as his PG.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
After nothing happened at the trade deadline, I've been wondering if the lottery could result in this outcome:

C's get the #1 pick while Philly doesn't get the Lakers pick and ends up picking somewhere in the back half of the top 10 (where the top PGs are all off the board, currently Philly is in the #5 spot but they're only 2 games out of the #10 spot).

What about a straight up Fultz for Simmons trade?  Would solve roster problems for both teams.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
CFAN38, this is not a two-team race with the Cavs. I would not so quickly discount the Raptors, who made a few good moves.  The Wizards are playing better.  Hawks always a tough out.

All that said, DA could still sign one of the top PGs and make a draft night trade, i.e. pick for another team.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Even when DA put the pick into play he asked for either a swap or a protection... I still think he keeps the pick and goes for a big FA signing ... Most likely will lose either Bradley or Thomas in FA so Fultz/Ball is real

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
The Wizards are playing better. 

Not since the all star break.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
CFAN38, this is not a two-team race with the Cavs. I would not so quickly discount the Raptors, who made a few good moves.  The Wizards are playing better.  Hawks always a tough out.

All that said, DA could still sign one of the top PGs and make a draft night trade, i.e. pick for another team.

This is not a two team race because the Spurs and Rockets will give the Warriors trouble out west. The Raptors did make some really nice short term moves but they still will not be able to hang with the Cavs in a 7 game series unless injuries decimate the Cavs. If Love comes back even if only at 75% then they come out of the east pretty easy. Mind you they are likely adding Deron Williams and Bogut after they are bought out. Not to mention JR Smith coming back from injury. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is not a two team race because the Spurs and Rockets will give the Warriors trouble out west. The Raptors did make some really nice short term moves but they still will not be able to hang with the Cavs in a 7 game series unless injuries decimate the Cavs. If Love comes back even if only at 75% then they come out of the east pretty easy. Mind you they are likely adding Deron Williams and Bogut after they are bought out. Not to mention JR Smith coming back from injury.
I was only referring to the East, but yes, the Cavs should still win esp if they pick up Bogut and D-Will.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Even when DA put the pick into play he asked for either a swap or a protection... I still think he keeps the pick and goes for a big FA signing ... Most likely will lose either Bradley or Thomas in FA so Fultz/Ball is real

I suspect AB is traded this off-season for a big man (Favors?), DA drafts BPA Fultz, Ball, Jackson or Issac in that order), KO is resigned, Zizic, Yabu and Nader are signed. Amir, Zeller, Young, Green and JJ are all gone. The final roster spot will either go to Amir or Jerebko on another 1+1 team option deal

2017-2018 Roster

IT
Smart
Brown
Crowder
Horford
Favors (AB trade?)
KO
Rozier
2017 Rookie
Zizic
Yabu
Jackson
Nader
Mickey

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I disagree. the clear top 3 picks are Fultz, Ball, and Jackson. Fultz can play either guard spot so I dont see any issues there, especially once we get rid of Bradley. If you fall to #3 you still have Jackson who would fit this team nicely. All this sounds like panic to land Paul George or Butler. Butler is playing great but PG13 has worse stats than our rookie since the trading deadline. I rather trade Avery and Crowder for a star at this point.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think that no matter the outcome...that pick is on the table in a trade for a star.

If it's 1 or 2...don't have to add too much to get said star.

If it's 3 or 4...have to add more from the current roster to get the star.

But I wouldn't expect Danny to make a bad trade...he's been very solid in that respect.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not seeing how the lottery results will "push" Danny in any regard.  He'll do what he thinks is best for the team without over committing resources in a trade if that's the path he takes.  if he uses the pick and keeps it, I expect us to enjoy having a bright, shiny new player to get excited about as he develops

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I think that no matter the outcome...that pick is on the table in a trade for a star.

If it's 1 or 2...don't have to add too much to get said star.

If it's 3 or 4...have to add more from the current roster to get the star.

But I wouldn't expect Danny to make a bad trade...he's been very solid in that respect.

When you say star, does that include Butler or George? 

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Keep Brown trade Bradley ......or IT if he does not come around on a decent contract.