Author Topic: Is Al Horford on the worst contact in the league  (Read 11691 times)

Re: Is Al Horford on the worst contact in the league
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2017, 11:32:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
His production was never worth the max, but recently he has been horrendous. Kelly has been playing better than him. So it is worth asking the question: Is Horford on the worst contract in the league? Is he the most overpaid player in the NBA?
Perhaps you could have actually done some research on this before posting and answered your own inflammatory question.

Perhaps you could give an answer to his question, besides your bratty response that doesn't add anything to a discussion.

Responding to the original question: its not looking good right now. Free agent deals are often setting the market, so hopefully $27m per year looks like chump change 2 years from now. I wasnt expecting stats (Horford has never been a stats king), but I am happy that he seems to have an impact on winning. I like his game. They signed the second best FA on the market last year to a full price.

side note: I've bought tickets to 3 games this year where Horford has been abysmal from a shooting perspective. Celtics lost 2 of them, and I single out Horford for those losses.

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2017, 11:36:35 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
Help me out here ............... and I have certainly been a critic of Horford this season, given his salary and what his role was supposed to be. If he had come in with the same role, salary and expectations as Amir Johnson, I think most of us would feel great about his ability to help this team win. FWIW, I don't regard Johnson's contributions since joining the Celts to have been satisfactory at all. His defense is very average, his offense worse, his rebounding worse yet and he is taking down $ 12M per - all for being the 2017 version of Jim Ard.

HOWEVER - Is it true that Horford is being forced to play center when he is really a power forward and nothing else. Thus he is going head-to-head with the league's centers who are bigger and stronger than he is. Does he need to be at PF behind a strong center to play again like the All-Star he used to be with Atlanta ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 12:02:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
On some nights he is pretty bad. Worst there is maybe.

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 12:53:53 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Help me out here ............... and I have certainly been a critic of Horford this season, given his salary and what his role was supposed to be. If he had come in with the same role, salary and expectations as Amir Johnson, I think most of us would feel great about his ability to help this team win. FWIW, I don't regard Johnson's contributions since joining the Celts to have been satisfactory at all. His defense is very average, his offense worse, his rebounding worse yet and he is taking down $ 12M per - all for being the 2017 version of Jim Ard.

HOWEVER - Is it true that Horford is being forced to play center when he is really a power forward and nothing else. Thus he is going head-to-head with the league's centers who are bigger and stronger than he is. Does he need to be at PF behind a strong center to play again like the All-Star he used to be with Atlanta ?
Looking at the stats, he is at his most effective playing the center. Both here and on Atlanta

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see a common issue AJ, Horrors and KO are each pretty bad when asked to play pf. They have shooting range and basketball iq but they can't keep up with faster Pfs.

ps auto correct changed Horford  to horrors and I like it lol

« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
The number crunchers on this forum have already made a good case on the "merits" of the question asked.  (BTW guys, that knowledge is one of the most appreciated things for me on this forum as it gives me a greater perspective on a lot of the behind the scenes of Celtics basketball).

...let me come at it from a slightly different angle.  Signing Horford almost got us Durant, or at least put us in contention.  Would we have gotten that close without that signing?  Will having Horford on the team, along with a two time all star of our own and our rapidly developing youth squad possibly bring in other free agents in the future that would not have considered Boston otherwise?

Sometimes "value" when it is placed on numbers alone fails to take in the full picture of the situation at the time.  Of that list that Boris posted earlier (TP sir), is there ANY player that you'd rather have on the Celtics than Al?  The new CBA set the bar that ALL of us have to use going forward.

Rak

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Right on cue he scored 4 points against Detroit.
7 points against Chicago.
8 points against Toronto.

I don't care who you are. If you are a max player you are consisten. You score more than 10 points a game in any game. And you definitely grab more than 3 rebounds as a center  against the cavs.

Might as well grab a bench player from another team to put up half the production of Horford for 1/10th of the cost and save the real money for players who actually grab a significant amount of rebounds and put up a significant amount of points consistently.

He does pass well but apparently other than that his biggest contribution is providing spacing. 28 mill for floor spacing and nights and nights of shooting 25℅ from the field. Take off the homer glasses

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Horford is having a bad stretch, that is all.

Celticsblog is a tough crowd, Horford worst contract in the league, Thomas not worth the max.

It's a wonder the Celtics are second in the east with so many over rated players!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
What some people need to learn before they go off and make these threads are that contracts are dictated by the team's cap situation and market conditions at the time of signing.  Not some arbitrary notion of what a player is "worth."

Great words from a great man

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
As for Horford himself, almost all of our offensive improvement this season is attributable to his passing, floor-spacing, and screen-setting.  You give up a little bit of rebounding for that but it's the cost of doing business.

Recent shooting slump notwithstanding, the only way you could possibly argue that he's a bad player is if literally the only stats you ever read are PPG and RPG.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Right on cue he scored 4 points against Detroit.
7 points against Chicago.
8 points against Toronto.

I don't care who you are. If you are a max player you are consisten. You score more than 10 points a game in any game. And you definitely grab more than 3 rebounds as a center  against the cavs.

Might as well grab a bench player from another team to put up half the production of Horford for 1/10th of the cost and save the real money for players who actually grab a significant amount of rebounds and put up a significant amount of points consistently.

He does pass well but apparently other than that his biggest contribution is providing spacing. 28 mill for floor spacing and nights and nights of shooting 25℅ from the field. Take off the homer glasses

Its not a homer glass. In fact, a lot of media people attribute our offensive success to Horford. If you can't analyze how and why, you need to go watch properly.

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am not ready to call this a bad contract, but I admit I was expecting for more from Horford.

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Joakim Noah done for the season.

How about him and his contract?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Horford is having a bad stretch, that is all.

Celticsblog is a tough crowd, Horford worst contract in the league, Thomas not worth the max.

It's a wonder the Celtics are second in the east with so many over rated players!

Don't forget our over rated coach and GM too!

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Horford is worth his contract, he makes the team much better.

We are the #2 seed in the east heading into the stretch run, and have a legit shot at the #1 seed. This with Bradley missing a good chunk of the season. Our record speaks for itself.

People have missconceptions about what a max contract is nowadays. He's not who you would spend a top pick for in your fantasy leagues, but he is who you give a max deal to in real life NBA basketball.