Author Topic: Is Al Horford on the worst contact in the league  (Read 11764 times)

Is Al Horford on the worst contact in the league
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
His production was never worth the max, but recently he has been horrendous. Kelly has been playing better than him. So it is worth asking the question: Is Horford on the worst contract in the league? Is he the most overpaid player in the NBA?

Re: Is Al Horford on the worst contact in the league
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Nope.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
its pretty bad... along with conley jr

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Seriously?  In this market, not even close...

Al may be overpaid (honestly which FA from last year isn't at this point), but he's playing the role required of him and has made this team better (i.e his spacing and passing have really opened things up for IT). Would I love his rebounding to be better? Sure... However, he is playing his game (as shown in ATL) and is a good piece for this team.

Want a bad contract? Chandler Parsons... yeah, that guy's on a max. I can only imagine this blog's reaction if we had signed him to a max with his current production.

Oh also Mike Conley... highest paid player ever. And Evan Turner, Mozgov, etc etc. I could keep going

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
not a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing chance

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/timofey-mozgov-7118/
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/joakim-noah-2248/
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/luol-deng-2240/

just off the top of my head.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
His production was never worth the max, but recently he has been horrendous. Kelly has been playing better than him. So it is worth asking the question: Is Horford on the worst contract in the league? Is he the most overpaid player in the NBA?
Perhaps you could have actually done some research on this before posting and answered your own inflammatory question.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
He is worth that contract to the Celtics. May not be for the life of the contract.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Horford's contract is fine. Right now, it's still a positive asset. Meanwhile, there are some legitimately unmovable deals out there (Noah, Mozgov, Deng).
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I hate Al's contract, but it isn't the worst as others have pointed out.   I really don't think anything good can come from paying Al and IT 60M combined -- if that comes to be.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:17:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I was thinking today we should be in title contention in the last year of his deal.

Then we can get rid of that contract and sign someone awesome when we ready to start the Dynasty!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 06:24:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Perhaps you could have actually done some research on this before posting and answered your own inflammatory question.

^ this

If you are going to post sthg likely to create controversy, at the very least bring up some evidence for your claim.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 06:28:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Seriously?  In this market, not even close...

Al may be overpaid (honestly which FA from last year isn't at this point), but he's playing the role required of him and has made this team better (i.e his spacing and passing have really opened things up for IT). Would I love his rebounding to be better? Sure... However, he is playing his game (as shown in ATL) and is a good piece for this team.

Want a bad contract? Chandler Parsons... yeah, that guy's on a max. I can only imagine this blog's reaction if we had signed him to a max with his current production.

Oh also Mike Conley... highest paid player ever. And Evan Turner, Mozgov, etc etc. I could keep going

Pretty much this. Sure, he's definitely a bit overpaid for his production, but that's what it took to get him. Plus, almost everyone from this summer was overpaid. That was just the market with the increased cap. I don't think it's egregious by any means, though.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not even close. Maybe there will be an argument in his final year, but not currently.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The max contract seems to create confusion. People see Lebron, Westbrook, Harden, Durant et al. getting the max and use that as the reference point when it's not. All those guys are worth far more than the max but can't get paid what they're worth.

If you look at the borderline guys Horford seems right in the mix. Carmelo, Conley, etc are better benchmarks.

And going down the list, if Alan Crabbe and Ryan Anderson are worth $18 million, is Horford overpaid at $26 million? I think not.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Is he untradable? If we wanted to get rid of him would we have to package him with another asset (let's say a draft pick), just to convince other teams to take him? Of cource not.

So no, he is not the worst contract in the league. Not even close.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:12:25 PM by Jvalin »