Paul Millsap
0 (0%)
Gordon Hayward
28 (37.3%)
Blake Griffin
46 (61.3%)
Other Free Agent (COMMENT BELOW!)
0 (0%)
No Free Agent, Just Trades (COMMENT BELOW!)
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Pretend They're AVAILABLE This July. Hayward, Griffin or Millsap?  (Read 5220 times)

Re: Pretend They're AVAILABLE This July. Hayward, Griffin or Millsap?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hayward.  Griffin won't have even played 70 games in the prior three seasons when he signs his next deal.  You can't give someone a max deal going into his 30s who's had that much trouble staying healthy recently.  I think Griffin fits better if healthy, but that IF is too chancy given his history.

Going into his 30's?  What are you smoking?  Blake Griffin is 27, same age as IT.  The championship window would be wide open as long as his health checks out.  Then we either add a top prospect through the draft or trade it in a deal for Butler or George.

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:18 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hayward.  Griffin won't have even played 70 games in the prior three seasons when he signs his next deal.  You can't give someone a max deal going into his 30s who's had that much trouble staying healthy recently.  I think Griffin fits better if healthy, but that IF is too chancy given his history.

Going into his 30's?  What are you smoking?  Blake Griffin is 27, same age as IT.  The championship window would be wide open as long as his health checks out.  Then we either add a top prospect through the draft or trade it in a deal for Butler or George.

He will be in his 30s when the contract would end, which means he is going into his 30s with respect to signing him this summer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I would go

1. Griffin

2. Millsap
3. Hayward

Griffin seems like the pretty clear no brainer first choice to me.  He plays at a position of need, fills several of the team holes, and is still fairly young.  I honestly don't really see the point of Hayward on this team.  He doesn't really do much for any of the teams holes, whereas Millsap at least fills a real positional need.  Obviously I would have no issue with any and I don't think any are likely at all, but it would be a nice position to be in.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He will be in his 30s when the contract would end, which means he is going into his 30s with respect to signing him this summer

This is the correct interpretation of my comment.

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I didn't read it that way at all.  Griffin is not going into his 30's this summer.  He will be in his 30's when the contract ends, sure, but the way it was worded definitely implied he would be in his 30's this summer.

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I didn't read it that way at all.  Griffin is not going into his 30's this summer.  He will be in his 30's when the contract ends, sure, but the way it was worded definitely implied he would be in his 30's this summer.

Well it should be clear now.  Thanks for your two cents.

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No problem, Griffin will also have played a lot more than 70 games in the prior 3 seasons as well.  Sure, he wouldn't have played 70 in any particular season, but absolutely will have played in a lot more than 70 games.  Another clearly misleading statement made by you to support the position you are taking.

You shouldn't be surprised when you make clearly misleading statements, that you get called out on them. 

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

No problem, Griffin will also have played a lot more than 70 games in the prior 3 seasons as well.  Sure, he wouldn't have played 70 in any particular season, but absolutely will have played in a lot more than 70 games.  Another clearly misleading statement made by you to support the position you are taking.

You shouldn't be surprised when you make clearly misleading statements, that you get called out on them.

Also be cautious when pointing out spelling or grammatical errors; there is usually no need for this, and such corrections often serve to heighten tensions between posters.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:34:39 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Anyways I like Hayward, but why do we need him? I would be more happier with Griffin, because he's an underrated passer, and he fits our system as many have said.

And people act like his game is all athleticism, while that is partly true, he'll be able to put up decent numbers with the spacing he'll get from IT and Horford.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:34:43 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

TP.

Getting to be a habit for several people on this board.

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 11:35:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have no doubt though if we got Griffin, that he would be shooting at least 1-2 3PA per game.  :-X
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
We won't.

It appears he's only interested in resigning or in OKC.

It'll be Hayward - if it's anyone, and I am not at all convinced it will be anyone.

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I would go

1. Griffin

2. Millsap
3. Hayward

Griffin seems like the pretty clear no brainer first choice to me.  He plays at a position of need, fills several of the team holes, and is still fairly young.  I honestly don't really see the point of Hayward on this team. He doesn't really do much for any of the teams holes, whereas Millsap at least fills a real positional need.  Obviously I would have no issue with any and I don't think any are likely at all, but it would be a nice position to be in.

He would give us another go-to scorer, which is a major need for the team. Hayward would come in and be the best wing on the team day 1, and take a lot of pressure off IT
I'm bitter.

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As much as I like Hayward Griffin is my choice.

We would get Griffin during his age 28, 29, 30, and 31 seasons.  Even if he has some drop off in athleticism it shouldn't be that much.  He has enough of a diversified game to deal with some decline in athleticism.

Griffin is capable of truly monster games which matters more in the playoffs than in the regular season.  So what if he doesn't play 70ish games or so during the regular season as long as he is healthy for the playoffs.  We are a pretty deep team, deeper than the Clippers that we can withstand him missing games.

If we sign Hayward it would mean we would have to make another trade for a PF, as we can only have so many SG/SF types on the team with a gaping hole at PF.  It's easy to say trade for a PF but who would that be?  There has to be one that is available and worthwhile for us.