Author Topic: Hindsight: Re-do the trade deadline  (Read 4448 times)

Re: Hindsight: Re-do the trade deadline
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Though I love Cousins and would absolutely bring him here, I would've opted for a bit more flexibility at the trade deadline.

Step 1: Trade Zeller, Rozier, and the Clips or Memphis pick to Orlando for Ibaka

Step 2: Evaluate Ibaka's fit while going as far as we can with this roster:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: AB, Green/Young
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Ibaka, KO/JJ
C: Horford, Amir

If he fits well, then keep him and roll with this bunch going forward while developing our young core and the Brooklyn picks. Trade AB this summer for future picks or help elsewhere in the rotation. If not, then renounce our rights to him and try your hardest to sign a Griffin, Hayward, or Milsap in free agency.

Plan B would've been to sign Noel and then traded Bradley this summer to try and make enough room for Hayward. An IT, Hayward, Crowder, Horford, and Noel lineup would be pretty stacked.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 02:42:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I've be pro Cousins for a long time. With hindsight post deadline, seeing how everyone else avoided him, I'm sticking with the path we took.
Hearing the deals out there for Butler or George made me queasy. We shouldn't be giving up that much in trades. I'd perhaps have done something for Okafor while his value is low but it would have been at the expense of cap space this summer...

I'm extremely high on Brown and Smart. Give them both a year and they could be leading this franchise. They will certainly make people glad that we didn't send them away to pay a 2nd tier star like Butler.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:23:13 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don't know if I'd do the Cousins deal since I don't know how to approximate the value. Maybe Bradley, Gerald Green, Zeller and a 2018 BOS pick? Maybe the LAC pick too? If so, I'd probably do that trade.

If not, I'd probably trade Rozier, Jordan Mickey and James Young for Taj Gibson, McDermott and a 2nd round pick.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm for Cousins deal of
AB, Rozier, Zeller and 2017 top 3 protection Nets pick.

But understand not doing it if Cousins or PG gave us a thumbs up about coming to visit as a FAs. Something some haven't considered is what if C's plan is to punt this off season again to get those guys out right without giving up anything. The opposite of the mistake NYK made with Melo. NYK would have been a force had they just waited and signed Melo as a FA instead they gave up the farm for him and didn't have enough to then build a team around him.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'd do the Cousins trade.  I think Roy's is probably pretty similar so I will go with that one.

1. Celtics trade Brown, Zeller, Young, 2018 Nets pick for DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Casspi

2. Next acquire Noel for Rozier, MIN 2nd, LAC 2nd.  I think that is comparable value.

3. PJ Tucker for Jerekbo, CLE 2nd, DET 19 2nd, MIA 20 2nd

4. KJ McDaniels for Cash (fit into trade exception)

So post-trades
PG - Thomas, Smart, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green, McDaniels
SF - Crowder, Tucker, Casspi 
PF - Cousins, Olynyk, Mickey
C - Horford, Noel, Johnson
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Pretend you're Danny. Assume that other teams will trade with us for similar assets to what we received in real life. Further assume that Wyc will only pay the luxury tax for a contender. What do you do?

1. Celtics trade Brown, Zeller, Young, 2018 Nets pick for DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Casspi

2. Celtics trade Jerebko, 3 seconds for P.J. Tucker

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

We'd still have the 2017 Nets pick plus the MEM and LAC #1s. We'd also have Bird rights to Amir, KO, Tucker and Casspi.  Next season, trade Crowder, Bradley and the signed Nets pick for Paul George.

Horford / Amir / Zizic
Cousins / KO / Yabu
George / Tucker / Casspi
Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier / Jackson

We'd have a deep championship with three All-NBA level players.

Cosign.

And I move to promote Roy Hobbs to general manager of the Boston Celtics, effective immediately.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Redoing the deadline I would have liked to see us take a shot at Terrence Jones. But that's about it.
 Didn't want to trade for Butler if it involved Brooklyn 17' or Jaylen Brown or Marcus Smart. Same with Paul George. I think their prices will drop as draft nigh approaches. Danny has a lot of power with this pick so waiting to ensure it's worth and gambling that it will be worth even more once it's certified top 2.
We also should try and get Hayward with cap room rather than move assets for Jimmy Butler.
Adding Hayward and drafting Fultz would be an absolutely epic offseason.

Would have stayed away from Cousins at all costs. If Brad doesn't want him and Danny respects Brad's wishes that strongly then stay the eff away at all costs. Generational Talent but doesn't possess the heart to be an NBA champion in my opinion.

Strong chance he ruins every thing we've built in this locker room after KG and Pierce left and even if there was a 25% chance that would have happened it's not worth risking it at all.

Ultimately he will leave NO or Davis will leave.
Probably to the Lakers.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Of the players that were moved I really wish they had traded for Tucker.

On the Celticsbeat podcast, Bulpett insinuated that Boston had a better offer for Tucker than Toronto but Phoenix went with the Toronto offer anyway. He didn't specify but he made it seem like Phoenix didn't want to deal with Boston after the way the IT trade went down.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

On the Celticsbeat podcast, Bulpett insinuated that Boston had a better offer for Tucker than Toronto but Phoenix went with the Toronto offer anyway. He didn't specify but he made it seem like Phoenix didn't want to deal with Boston after the way the IT trade went down.
I can't believe that is the case.  Bulprett probably thought it was better, but one of those arguable ones, like maybe a higher 2nd round pick but only 2 vs. 3 or something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I can't believe that is the case.  Bulprett probably thought it was better, but one of those arguable ones, like maybe a higher 2nd round pick but only 2 vs. 3 or something like that.

Bulpett is suspected of being a mouthpiece, so his comments could be damage control.