Author Topic: Hindsight: Re-do the trade deadline  (Read 4455 times)

Hindsight: Re-do the trade deadline
« on: February 26, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pretend you're Danny. Assume that other teams will trade with us for similar assets to what we received in real life. Further assume that Wyc will only pay the luxury tax for a contender. What do you do?

1. Celtics trade Brown, Zeller, Young, 2018 Nets pick for DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Casspi

2. Celtics trade Jerebko, 3 seconds for P.J. Tucker

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

We'd still have the 2017 Nets pick plus the MEM and LAC #1s. We'd also have Bird rights to Amir, KO, Tucker and Casspi.  Next season, trade Crowder, Bradley and the signed Nets pick for Paul George.

Horford / Amir / Zizic
Cousins / KO / Yabu
George / Tucker / Casspi
Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier / Jackson

We'd have a deep championship with three All-NBA level players.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:12:12 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Hindsight: Re-do the trade deadline
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Pretend you're Danny. Assume that other teams will trade with us for similar assets to what we received in real life. Further assume that Wyc will only pay the luxury tax for a contender. What do you do?

1. Celtics trade Brown, Zeller, Young, 2018 Nets pick for DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Casspi

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

We'd still have the 2017 Nets pick plus the MEM and LAC #1s. We'd also have Bird rights to Amir, KO, Tucker and Casspi.  Next season, trade Crowder, Bradley and the signed Nets pick for Paul George.

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
George / Tucker
Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

TP for that. Wish I had a time machine. The thing is we wouldn't even have to give that much for Cousins. We probably could have give our own 2018 pick and not Brooklyn's.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

Horford / Amir / Zizic
Cousins / KO / Yabu
George / Tucker / Casspi
Smart / Gerald

I'm not sure that trade gets Cousins.  The Kings owner is apparently high on Hield and the NOP pick has a pretty good chance of being top 10 in this strong draft.   

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 02:27:43 PM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Here's my deal:
Avery Bradley + 17 BKN (top 2 protected) + Terry Rozier for DeMarcus Cousins

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:30:32 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

Horford / Amir / Zizic
Cousins / KO / Yabu
George / Tucker / Casspi
Smart / Gerald

I'm not sure that trade gets Cousins.  The Kings owner is apparently high on Hield and the NOP pick has a pretty good chance of being top 10 in this strong draft.   

I thought the Pelican pick was protected. I could be wrong but I also value Brown above Hield.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Horford / Amir
Cousins / KO / Casspi
Crowder / Tucker
Bradley / Smart / Gerald
Thomas / Rozier

Horford / Amir / Zizic
Cousins / KO / Yabu
George / Tucker / Casspi
Smart / Gerald

I thought the Pelican pick was protected. I could be wrong but I also value Brown above Hield.
It is top 3 protected in 2017 and top 1 protected in 2018-2020.  There is no guarantee that the Nets will be the worst team next year and the draft won't be as deep.  Your valuation of Brown doesn't matter.  The Kings owner was high on Hield and he was the driver of the trade. 

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Did something change that makes the Celtics front office to suddenly like Cousins?

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Did something change that makes the Celtics front office to suddenly like Cousins?
Come on wd....you had to know that a "Hindsight: we should have done this trade for Cousins" thread was going to be made by Roy at some point, regardless of the fact that the Celtics front office wanted nothing to do with DMC. Let him get it out of his system. He will forget about it......eventually....maybe.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Come on wd....you had to know that a "Hindsight: we should have done this trade for Cousins" thread was going to be made by Roy at some point, regardless of the fact that the Celtics front office wanted nothing to do with DMC. Let him get it out of his system. He will forget about it......eventually....maybe.

I have no issue with such "what if" trades, but I still would have like to have seen something happened with either the Celtics or Cousins that could have changed the current front office feelings about making such a trade.

On top of that, I would have made the trade, but I did not do the research they did.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Honestly I do what they already did: nothing.  I just don't see anything out there that would take this team past Golden State.  I don't care about Cleveland.

I do think they could have kicked the tires on Noel more.  But at the end of the day Danny didn't want any rentals and he stood by his word.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes: Danny has been replaced by the poster redoing the trade deadline.  I want to see what teams people would have put together now that we have a better idea what asking prices were. Danny's opinion doesn't matter for purposes of this thread.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yes: Danny has been replaced by the poster redoing the trade deadline.  I want to see what teams people would have put together now that we have a better idea what asking prices were. Danny's opinion doesn't matter for purposes of this thread.

Somehow I find that more concerning then the lack of moves during the deadline. 

;)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
the Cousins posts will never end.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The fact the Kings GM supposedly believes Hield is the next coming of Steph Curry, makes me question if this guy just watched one draftexpress video, and decided, "that's it. This guy is going to be the centerpiece of my trade deal for my franchise player."
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
the Cousins posts will never end.

Do it without Cousins, then. We need a big man. We need two stars according to Wyc. Put us on a path that gets us there.