Author Topic: Wyc says we are 2 stars away. So how do we pay 2 stars+ IT + Horford max deals?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Wyc said we are still two stars away from being a championship caliber team.
If we are paying IT and Al, how can we afford another 2 stars unless one of them is a rookie like Fultz?

Anyone else got any ideas what this means for IT or perhaps they are willing to go into luxury tax pretty deeply if we get two stars. Our tax bill would be enormous with 4 max contracts even with rookies on the bench right?

For example.
We pay Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, Isaiah Thomas and Jimmy Butler max contracts.
What then?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
We draft Fultz.  We then trade IT and Horford and sign whatever free agents we want and can convince to come here!  If none will come, we're screwed.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
We sign Hayward or trade for butler/george and draft a high pick. Hoping that drafted player or jaylen brown is a star.

Not many teams are in the position of the celtics where we have 2 stars, a competitive team and will draft top 5 3 years in a row

Offline StevensArmy

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
Wyc said we are still two stars away from being a championship caliber team.
If we are paying IT and Al, how can we afford another 2 stars unless one of them is a rookie like Fultz?

Anyone else got any ideas what this means for IT or perhaps they are willing to go into luxury tax pretty deeply if we get two stars. Our tax bill would be enormous with 4 max contracts even with rookies on the bench right?

For example.
We pay Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, Isaiah Thomas and Jimmy Butler max contracts.
What then?

We keep both Brooklyn picks, draft Fultz and Ayton, and then add a 3rd star when Durant declines his player option. Whether the Celtics resign or trade IT remains to be seem. Danny is very good at identifying talent at PG, so it wouldn't surprise me if IT is ultimately dealt.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We sign Hayward or trade for butler/george and draft a high pick. Hoping that drafted player or jaylen brown is a star.

Not many teams are in the position of the celtics where we have 2 stars, a competitive team and will draft top 5 3 years in a row

This is the correct answer.  One star through free agency, one through the draft.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wyc is incorrect

Maybe 1 more

Brown is going to be good

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
You have one of them on a rookie pay scale.  That's how.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Sign Hayward, KO

Trade AB, Jae, Bk18 for Butler

Draft one of Fultz, Ball, Jackson (Bk17)

Bring over Yabu and Zizic

IT/Butler/Hayward/Horford/KO

Smart/Bk17/Brown/Yabu/Zizic

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Is Horford a star? I think he's a good player. I'm not really sure what stars are anymore in the NBA? Are there about 40 of them?

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Buy 1
Draft 1 or 2 with the BKN picks
Develop 1 or 2 already on the roster (Smart, Brown are the obvious candidates)

That gets us 5 very good  chances to get two stars.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
With money?

Great words from a great man

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
By having one of those stars be on a rookie scale deal.

As for the premise, I think the Celts are two stars away from being at the level of the Warriors or Cavs.  I don't think they'd need to add two max level stars to have a chance at getting to the Finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
We need 2 out of Smart, Brown, '17 Nets and '18 Nets to turn into stars.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

When we do win a championship. Horford will either be on the last year of his contract, or he will be gone.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Draft Fultz. Trade IT or Bradley and picks for a star.
Sign a FA star as well.