Author Topic: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?  (Read 7246 times)

Re: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Carmelo Anthony ..could it be anybody BUT !

Defensive wizard

Team first player

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

You move down the list as necessary. It doesn't necessarily even matter which max guy we sign as long as we do get one prior to trading for the final piece (Butler/George)

You aren't saying Favors is a max guy are you?

Ideally we'd get him for a bit under the max but I don't think it matters either way.  We have no other use for cap space.

I hope it's a LOT under the max. Are you saying just because you have it you should give it to a below-average guy? I mean Favors numbers this year are

G      P      TRB    A     FG%     FG3%      FT%
41   9.4      6.1   1.1   47.6      25.0       63.9

How do those numbers equate to just a little under the max??  Those are like 80% under the max numbers.

He's had a ****ty season full of injuries.  The team should do its due diligence on his health but if he's not permanently damaged then I'd be fine paying him based on past production.  Still only 25.

His career numbers are not much better than his season numbers. Matter of fact his 3pt % is double what his career numbers are.

His career numbers include his first five seasons, where he was a 20mpg rotation big.  Don't think it's particularly representative.  3P% in particular is completely irrelevant given that he takes less than 10 a season.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Did I really just come here to see people arguing the case that Favors is worth a max..  :o

WOW. With that logic, so is Olynyk...  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

You move down the list as necessary. It doesn't necessarily even matter which max guy we sign as long as we do get one prior to trading for the final piece (Butler/George)

Ideally we'd get him for a bit under the max but I don't think it matters either way.  We have no other use for cap space.

I hope it's a LOT under the max. Are you saying just because you have it you should give it to a below-average guy? I mean Favors numbers this year are

How do those numbers equate to just a little under the max??  Those are like 80% under the max numbers.

He's had a ****ty season full of injuries.  The team should do its due diligence on his health but if he's not permanently damaged then I'd be fine paying him based on past production.  Still only 25.

His career numbers are not much better than his season numbers. Matter of fact his 3pt % is double what his career numbers are.

His career numbers include his first five seasons, where he was a 20mpg rotation big.  Don't think it's particularly representative.  3P% in particular is completely irrelevant given that he takes less than 10 a season.

You may be right but these are kind of excuses. We have to go on past performance somewhat don't we? How does he based on any numbers in his entire career even get mentioned as a max guy? I just don't see it.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Did I really just come here to see people arguing the case that Favors is worth a max..  :o

WOW. With that logic, so is Olynyk...  ::)

You are exactly right. Olynyk would deserve is way more than Favors. But is every free agent out there worth the max?

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

You may be right but these are kind of excuses. We have to go on past performance somewhat don't we? How does he based on any numbers in his entire career even get mentioned as a max guy? I just don't see it.

Is it fair to judge Jimmy Butler by his career numbers of 15 points 5 rebounds and 3 assists? That doesn't look like a max guy to me.

No? Excuses!

Great words from a great man

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

Is it fair to judge Jimmy Butler by his career numbers of 15 points 5 rebounds and 3 assists? That doesn't look like a max guy to me.

No? Excuses!

First off I am not a huge Butler fan either. I think a lot of his numbers are based on volume and the way he gets to the line is 50% reputation. But Favors is no Jimmy Butler. You cannot compare those two.

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

No? Excuses!

Except he has history of showing he is worth it. Favors doesn't have any at all.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Blake fills many needs and would be an excellent fit. I also believe Brad can land us Hayward.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The best part about the Blake/Hayward debate is that, as of today, the Clips and Jazz are slated to play each other in the first round of the playoffs - meaning one of them will be a first round out. With Hayward's comments about wanting to play for a contender, he may look for a change of scenery. And Blake may look at the Clips aging core and see the Cs as a more desirable destination.

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Blake fills many needs and would be an excellent fit. I also believe Brad can land us Hayward.

ugh, can't believe the Blake love fest, for me he's too injury prone, not a factor on defense and going to be too expensive.

Also he's not a realistic target as I just don't see him leaving LA

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

ugh, can't believe the Blake love fest, for me he's too injury prone, not a factor on defense and going to be too expensive.

Also he's not a realistic target as I just don't see him leaving LA
He isnt a great defender, but hes quick enough to defend 4s(meaning you can put him next to Horford) he a great passer for a big, adds legit starpower, and can rebound and hit midrange shots.

He fits terrifically and hes only 27.

I dont see him leaving LA but hed be an awesome signing.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think a healthy Blake would be the first choice.

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think the best perspective for Favors would be during the last two seasons, when he played starter's minutes. 16/8 in 31mpg, plus defender, good advanced metrics.

Those numbers aren't too out of whack with those of our very own max-contract PF:

http://bkref.com/tiny/itTlz

Not saying they are the same player, or that we should give Favors the max, but it doesn't seem crazy to think that he'd get it.

(Also he is under contract for next year, not a FA. Not sure why he came up. But I thought I'd try to add context.)

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Justice Winslow