Author Topic: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?  (Read 7269 times)

Re: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The other theory is he's looking to use the cap space to extend IT.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2017/1/15/14281028/celtics-salary-cap-update-new-cba-edition
According to some analysis done by saltlover we will have $22,445,771 in cap room if we clear all our free agents but keep a cap hold for KO. Using almost all the cap space we could extend him to say $28m, he could earn more over the next 3 years than if he waited for FA in 2018. We would still then be in a good position to trade for Butler or George using a combination of Bradley, Crowder, Rozier and the Nets pick.

Probably not route A, but still interesting to think about

Re: Ainge has his eye on a max FA slot: who could it be?
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How can you say Griffin doesn't fill a need?

He's not a rim protector or a rebounder, I don't see how he fits with Horford either

How is he not a rebounder? He'll be the best rebounder on this team, easily. Plus, he can space the floor and is a great passer. He's a great fit with this team. He's just not a rim protector or elite defender.

Currently ranked 19th in the league in rebounding, (actually doesn't fully qualify because he's missed so many games this year) don't see how he moves the needle in rebounding and he's not the right guy to pair with Horford at all

I totally disagree with this. It may not give us a true starting center but other than that I think they fit great together. Two bigs that can pass, shoot and drive and Griffin is a good rebounder. IMO you keep what we have and add him and we are contenders.

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

You move down the list as necessary. It doesn't necessarily even matter which max guy we sign as long as we do get one prior to trading for the final piece (Butler/George)

Great words from a great man

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

You move down the list as necessary. It doesn't necessarily even matter which max guy we sign as long as we do get one prior to trading for the final piece (Butler/George)

You aren't saying Favors is a max guy are you?

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would love it DA revisited the trade talks, TBH. Is it possible to sign someone and still complete the trade? Or would the trade blow up all our flexibility? Let's say after the trade, we keep IT, Horford, Smart, Brown, and one of Bradley or Crowder. That's 5 players on the roster, 4 of which are underpaid.
- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
The other theory is he's looking to use the cap space to extend IT.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2017/1/15/14281028/celtics-salary-cap-update-new-cba-edition
According to some analysis done by saltlover we will have $22,445,771 in cap room if we clear all our free agents but keep a cap hold for KO. Using almost all the cap space we could extend him to say $28m, he could earn more over the next 3 years than if he waited for FA in 2018. We would still then be in a good position to trade for Butler or George using a combination of Bradley, Crowder, Rozier and the Nets pick.

Probably not route A, but still interesting to think about

Actually you could be right apparently it would be far cheaper for us to extend him this summer than extend him in 2018, something like 30 million cheaper. Does anyone know the details about this?

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Even if you believed Griffin wasn't a rebounder, I have no idea why you would think he wouldn't be a good fit.  The 4/5 positions are by far the weakest positions on the team, significantly upgrading one of those spots, would significantly improve the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

Ideally we'd get him for a bit under the max but I don't think it matters either way.  The cap space goes away after this summer so might as well use it on somebody.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Even if you believed Griffin wasn't a rebounder, I have no idea why you would think he wouldn't be a good fit.  The 4/5 positions are by far the weakest positions on the team, significantly upgrading one of those spots, would significantly improve the team.

Thanks for this, I stopped replying to the Griffin is a rebounder talk after I posted that he's currently 19th in the league in rebounding and was subsequently ignored.

Zizic could actually be our best interior defender and rebounder next year and a far better fit next to horford

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

Ideally we'd get him for a bit under the max but I don't think it matters either way.  We have no other use for cap space.

I hope it's a LOT under the max. Are you saying just because you have it you should give it to a below-average guy? I mean Favors numbers this year are

G      P      TRB    A     FG%     FG3%      FT%
41   9.4      6.1   1.1   47.6      25.0       63.9

How do those numbers equate to just a little under the max??  Those are like 80% under the max numbers.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Thanks for this, I stopped replying to the Griffin is a rebounder talk after I posted that he's currently 19th in the league in rebounding and was subsequently ignored.

Zizic could actually be our best interior defender and rebounder next year and a far better fit next to horford

And OUR top rebounder, Horford, is 48th!!!

And Blake has been rather injury prone the last two years.

Context can be rich sometimes!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

You weren't ignored. People pointed out how Blake plays alongside Deandre, who is one of the league leaders in rebounding. People pointed out his 9.5 career rpg which dipped with the rise of DJ. After all, there are only so many rebounds to go around (not to mention CP3 is a pretty good rebounding guard himself). You don't think this team, which is led in rebounding by a 6'2" guard, could use a competent big like Blake?

Kindly explain though how Zizic is a much better fit with Horford. The way I see it, Horford plays his best when playing the 5.
- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

Ideally we'd get him for a bit under the max but I don't think it matters either way.  We have no other use for cap space.

I hope it's a LOT under the max. Are you saying just because you have it you should give it to a below-average guy? I mean Favors numbers this year are

How do those numbers equate to just a little under the max??  Those are like 80% under the max numbers.

He's had a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty season full of injuries.  The team should do its due diligence on his health but if he's not permanently damaged then I'd be fine paying him based on past production.  Still only 25.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Griffin
Hayward
Milsap
Favors

He's had a ****ty season full of injuries.  The team should do its due diligence on his health but if he's not permanently damaged then I'd be fine paying him based on past production.  Still only 25.

His career numbers are not much better than his season numbers. Matter of fact his 3pt % is double what his career numbers are. I thought he was better than these numbers show but regardless of his age - if he isn't that good he demands the salary of a role player and absolutely nowhere near the max.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You weren't ignored. People pointed out how Blake plays alongside Deandre, who is one of the league leaders in rebounding. People pointed out his 9.5 career rpg which dipped with the rise of DJ. After all, there are only so many rebounds to go around (not to mention CP3 is a pretty good rebounding guard himself). You don't think this team, which is led in rebounding by a 6'2" guard, could use a competent big like Blake?

Kindly explain though how Zizic is a much better fit with Horford. The way I see it, Horford plays his best when playing the 5.

People are hyping themselves up on Zizic too.  He hasn't played a second in the league and we don't even know if he'll end up being an NBA caliber rotation player, but some are projecting him as our best big next to Horford? Pump the brakes.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman