Author Topic: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?  (Read 7247 times)

Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:46:11 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
We have heard this over and over the Celtics didn't want to give up assets for Cousins/Butler/George because they have their eyes on an FA and want to preserve a max FA slot for this summer.

So let's look at who this could be.

Top 10 FA's in 2017 and some comments on each

1.Curry Huge interest, but would he leave GSW?
2.Durant Same as above
3. Chris Paul Ainge has always loved this guy, he would age well given that his game isn't based on athletism
4.Griffin  Doesn't fill a need, would he leave LA?
5.Lowry  Too expensive for a 30+ aged player
6.Millsap same as above
7.Hayward Seems like the logical target
8.Wade   Hell no
9.Reddick Would be too expensive, doesn't fill a need
10.Iguodala same as above

Looking at the above list I think that the only guys that Danny is really Interested in are Durant, Paul, Curry and Hayward.

So then the question begs itself. Is Danny relying on a LAC or GSW implosion. Or is he convinced that Hayward will walk away from the Jazz to reunite with Brad Stevens

Lets look at both scenarios

GSW

If GSW doesn't win the title would Curry or Durant walk? Seems highly unlikely especially in Durant's case he's in the process of repairing his image after the hit he took this year. Curry is more likely but it's a slim chance to say the least.

LAC

Doc is the coach and the GM and won't want to face facts, however I see their destiny as going out in the second round to GSW this year. Is Danny thinking that should this happen, they may have to blow it up. Consider this scenario.

Clips get eliminated in the second round, Doc goes to Balmer, requests over $200 million dollars to resign Paul and Blake Griffin. Balmer refuses, wants a full rebuild, sacks doc and lets Paul and Griffin walk.

This does seem incredibly unlikely, however it is possible.

Taking all of these scenarios into account, the most likely scenario is that Danny has it in his head that there is a very good chance that Hayward walks.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:42:14 AM by Rida »

Re: Ainge has his eye on a max FA slot: who could it be?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
How can you say Griffin doesn't fill a need?

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:31:57 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

He's not a rim protector or a rebounder, I don't see how he fits with Horford either

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:55:31 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

He's not a rim protector or a rebounder, I don't see how he fits with Horford either

How is he not a rebounder? He'll be the best rebounder on this team, easily. Plus, he can space the floor and is a great passer. He's a great fit with this team. He's just not a rim protector or elite defender. 
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:04:38 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

How is he not a rebounder? He'll be the best rebounder on this team, easily. Plus, he can space the floor and is a great passer. He's a great fit with this team. He's just not a rim protector or elite defender.

Currently ranked 19th in the league in rebounding, (actually doesn't fully qualify because he's missed so many games this year) don't see how he moves the needle in rebounding and he's not the right guy to pair with Horford at all
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 07:10:19 AM by Rida »

Re: Ainge has his eye on a max FA in 2017: who could it be?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:31:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's not a rim protector or a rebounder,

People thought that Sully is a rebounder.   Blake averages more RPG than Sully.  His career averages is 9.5 which makes him a solid rebounder.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3989/blake-griffin

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Durant if GS loses, and Gordon Hayward.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Most likely target is Hayward. But if jazz keep winning who knows. Then again much easier to win in the east and he did play for Brad in college.

I still think ainge tries to revisit trade talks with the bulls and pacers before the draft. Both teams were pretty unreasonable and unrealistic in what they wanted. Brooklyn picks AND 3 good players? Ainge didnt want to gut the team of crowder smart and brown. And a top 5 pick most likely this year and next.

But if both teams keep losing and they realize they are going to have to rebuild. Ainge has alot more leverage to pull a trade in the summer.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:01 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Only one I can see coming is possibly Hayward and that is certainly not a lock. We passed on trading for guys at the deadline like DMC because we are waiting for one guy that may not come and if he does, may not be enough.  :-[

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He's not a rim protector or a rebounder,

People thought that Sully is a rebounder.   Blake averages more RPG than Sully.  His career averages is 9.5 which makes him a solid rebounder.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3989/blake-griffin

And he's done it mostly playing next to DeAndre Jordan, one of the league's best rebounders. Blake may have some holes in his game, but rebounding isn't one of them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Currently ranked 19th in the league in rebounding, (actually doesn't fully qualify because he's missed so many games this year) don't see how he moves the needle in rebounding and he's not the right guy to pair with Horford at all

Blake is a terrific rebounder. He happens to play next to one of the top 2 rebounders in the league. His dup in rebounding numbers coincides with Deandre's emergence. It's not hard to figure out that he doesn't get as many rebounds as he used to because there just aren't as many rebounds available. He'd easily be the best rebounder we've had in a decade.

He's not leaving LA though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

And Isaiah Thomas is not a scorer.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Everyone should keep in mind that Ainge may end up seeing this as choosing between getting a free agent or keeping Bradley. If that's the choice, we aren't likely to get all that much better unless we somehow get Blake Griffin.

If we pick one or two, we are taking Fultz or Ball and he'll probably have to move Bradley. But if the best pick is Jackson or Isaac, unless he trades the pick for a big, I don't see him pursuing a free agent.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Consider the context for Blake.  He has played beside Jordan who cleans up and blocks the shots.  I think he could and would block at least one per game in our line-up, since he would NOT have a DJ behind him on our team (unless we get Drummond too:-))).  Griffin averages 9.5 rebounds per game for his career and you say he is NOT a rebounder??  Wow!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Sorry guys.  I saw the thread down to the "not a rebounder" comment and went to post.  Many of you beat me to the point about Griffin being a solid rebounder.  My bad!!!

Smitty77