Author Topic: Lonzo Ball's Dad misquoted but claims Ball is only interested in the Lakers  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
My son will only play for the [Los Angeles] Lakers," he said, via Michael Luke of KCUB.

Per ESPN's Jeff Goodman, Ball later clarified those comments to make sure other teams know the Lakers aren't the only club he will play for when he's drafted:

All I said was that my boy is going to play for the Lakers, and I'm going to speak it into existence. I want him to be a Laker, but I wasn't saying he's only going to play for the Lakers. I'm not trying to say he won't play for a different team. But I'd like him to play for the Lakers because it's home and I'd love him to learn from Magic (Johnson) He's the best guard ever to me, and nobody better for Lonzo to learn from than Magic Johnson.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694985-lonzo-balls-dad-lavar-says-son-will-only-play-for-lakers-discusses-future

As you can see Lonzo Ball's father was taken out of context and only meant that his he wanted his son to be a Laker so bad that he was trying to will it into existence, but I think it shows 2 things that should give our FO pause about drafting Lonzo.

1. Lonzo Ball and the rest of the Ball clan are firmly entrenched in their California bubble and if we were to draft him we'd have to constantly be worried about him leaving for the west coast  in free agency similar to what Indy is dealing with Paul George.

2. Drafting Lonzo Ball means your also drafting his father LaVarr Ball and you'll have to deal with the inevitable reality that he's going to tweet or say something in an interview that the team will have to answer for.

I've said it before and I stick by it that Lonzo Ball's brand will lead him and his family thinking that they're bigger than the team. Even if we cant draft Markelle Fultz, I'd take Jackson and Dennis Smith Jr. over Ball every time. IMO he's just not worth the potential headaches that Ball Fevor is bound to bring.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He'll get over it.

If he's worth it the money will keep him around.  Pierce was a Laker fan too.

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
i've been looking at the draft and players...and i don't see the celtics taking ball with any of the picks..let's say...

celtics get ths #1 pick...we go with markelle fultz.
if we get the #2 pick we go with josh jackson.
if we get the #3 pick we go with jonathan isaac.
if we get the #4 pick it's isaac...

because if other teams go between us they will take ball...so i don't see us taking ball at all.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Also from a dispassionate general NBA fan perspective I'd love for see Lonzo to be drafted by LA. No disrespect to the old school, Boston against the world crowd, but I prefer it when our storied rivals Like New York, Detroit, LA Lakers are good enough to put up a fight.

Imagine Lonzo Ball reincarnating the LA Showtime era enough to draw Paul George back home. That's a great storyline and I'd enjoy rooting against that team a lot more than the indifference that I feel toward their current roster.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
My son will only play for the [Los Angeles] Lakers," he said, via Michael Luke of KCUB.

Per ESPN's Jeff Goodman, Ball later clarified those comments to make sure other teams know the Lakers aren't the only club he will play for when he's drafted:

All I said was that my boy is going to play for the Lakers, and I'm going to speak it into existence. I want him to be a Laker, but I wasn't saying he's only going to play for the Lakers. I'm not trying to say he won't play for a different team. But I'd like him to play for the Lakers because it's home and I'd love him to learn from Magic (Johnson) He's the best guard ever to me, and nobody better for Lonzo to learn from than Magic Johnson.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694985-lonzo-balls-dad-lavar-says-son-will-only-play-for-lakers-discusses-future

As you can see Lonzo Ball's father was taken out of context and only meant that his he wanted his son to be a Laker so bad that he was trying to will it into existence, but I think it shows 2 things that should give our FO pause about drafting Lonzo.

1. Lonzo Ball and the rest of the Ball clan are firmly entrenched in their California bubble and if we were to draft him we'd have to constantly be worried about him leaving for the west coast  in free agency similar to what Indy is dealing with Paul George.

2. Drafting Lonzo Ball means your also drafting his father LaVarr Ball and you'll have to deal with the inevitable reality that he's going to tweet or say something in an interview that the team will have to answer for.

I've said it before and I stick by it that Lonzo Ball's brand will lead him and his family thinking that they're bigger than the team. Even if we cant draft Markelle Fultz, I'd take Jackson and Dennis Smith Jr. over Ball every time. IMO he's just not worth the potential headaches that Ball Fevor is bound to bring.

All this stuff about branding, will you acknowledge that he's extremely team oriented and very unselfish on the court.

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Seems like LaVar is backtracking because he hurt Lonzos draft stock to some degree.

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
We don't need this clown! Am I right people?

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
It's his father man! he has to listen to his father(or otherwise there will be a bigger problem in his personallity)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

All this stuff about branding, will you acknowledge that he's extremely team oriented and very unselfish on the court.

You know KG I'll grant you that it's not Lonzo himself that's branding "Ball Ball". He doesn't seem like a bad kid per se but there's no denying that there's a hype train surrounding him and his brothers that is largely being generated by his father and fans. I've been reading about this revolution in the game, that it's going to change the game more than Steph Curry with all this Ball movement and deep threes and I just want Boston to have no part of it.

I liked Rondo more that many around here but he was a guy that could lead the league in assists in a selfish way. Before you say it, I know that stylistically Rondo is not a fair Ball Comp since Lonzo doesn't pound the rock into the dirt like Rondo did and can shoot. I acknowledge that Lonzo gets rid of the ball quickly and keeps his teammates involved. But he still draws most of his value from his teammates hitting the shots that he creates and IMO it's only a matter of time until his team unperforms and either fans or his father throw his teammates under the bus when they fail to hit them. FWIW I didn't like that he said he "likes playing with scrubs" to me that's disrespectful and bound to rub to some of the other guys in the locker room wrong way.

Right now in the NCAA he's shooting a lot of deep 3's as the first option in the offense. That's all well and good in college but is he going to be able to replicate that when the NBA range calls for 30 footers?

No disrespect intended to any of his supporters because I can absolutely see why you all are believers in his talent and game but I've found my hill to die on with Lonzo Ball and I don't see my opinion changing much until draft time.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
It's his father man! he has to listen to his father(or otherwise there will be a bigger problem in his personallity)

Ya man, I've got no problem with Lonzo listening to and respecting his father. But it doesn't mean I have to! ;D

Re: Lonzo Ball's Dad misquoted but claims Ball is only interested in the Lakers
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 01:40:33 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Seems like LaVar is backtracking because he hurt Lonzos draft stock to some degree.

Definitely think there's a grain of truth to this Dennis.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Also from a dispassionate general NBA fan perspective I'd love for see Lonzo to be drafted by LA. No disrespect to the old school, Boston against the world crowd, but I prefer it when our storied rivals Like New York, Detroit, LA Lakers are good enough to put up a fight.

Imagine Lonzo Ball reincarnating the LA Showtime era enough to draw Paul George back home. That's a great storyline and I'd enjoy rooting against that team a lot more than the indifference that I feel toward their current roster.
That sounds like a nightmare lol

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:12 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Fultz is better ... I hope we get number 1 and get Fultz.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 02:41:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I really don"t like this pattern .....

Unless NBA changes the draft process it's the teams that select a player and not the other way around. This defies the meaning of the draft.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 02:56:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

That sounds like a nightmare lol

Hehe, but how sweet would it be if we out execute them at every level?

Stevens read and react system trumps Ball Ball

Gordon Hayward outplays Paul George. (if I'm giving the Lakers Paul George, then we get Hayward)

Zizic Vs Zubac

Horford shuts down Randle.

Fultz/Smart > Ball/Russell

A man can dream.