Author Topic: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"  (Read 11656 times)

Re: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If we get Hayward/Griffin this summer (give it the likeliness you want), there is no way we spend 90+ million per year in Horford + Thomas + Hayward/Griffin. We have to sign our top-4 pick this year and pay Smart, even Bradley or Olynyk.

If we can't land a top free agent, there is a chance to keep IT with a max deal. However, given his characteristics, I wouldn't offer him more than three years in any case.
If you sign Hayward or Griffin, you absolutely max Isaiah. Cant lose him.

Please could you tell me how are you filling the other 12 men on the roster?

You have very limited money for that, even paying the luxury tax.

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Just imagine if IT makes an All-NBA team (absolutely possible). Would anybody feel comfortable committing over $40M/yr to IT over 5 years using the super-max?

It's hard not to like IT and how he has helped the Cs, but if George or Butler were offered in [essentially] a straight-up deal this summer for him, I would have a hard time saying no.
These are lateral moves. Why would Indy/Chicago have any interest in making a move like that?

If we are trading with Indy, my target would be Myles Turner. IT for Myles Turner straight up works on the trade machine. I would even throw in a non Brooklyn first.

Boston finally gets a rim protector - rebounder. As for Indy, if Larry is afraid of losing George he might have some interest in this deal. Plus there is this tweet from last week
Quote from: Michael Pina
Interviewer: "Name one player you're most excited to see this weekend."

Paul George: "Isaiah."
https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/833022392964435968

I guess PG would love to play with IT.
IT and a first for Myles Turner.....if Ainge ever made that trade he would be instantly fired and most probably would never get another GM job again. That trade is so bad as to only be considered a joke. You were kidding by proposing that, right? You don't seriously think thay is a good trade, do you?

I would trade Isiah for Turner in a heartbeat, are you serious? Turner is 10 years younger, he's the ideal PG for this system, and we still have Smart, Rozier, and maybe Fultz or Ball to play the PG. You do realize that good PGs are a dime a dozen in the NBA, right?
Since you guys have so different points of view on this, I guess it might be a fair trade after all.

Turner is 20 years old and he is already considered a borderline all-star averaging 15.6 points, 7.2 boards and 2.1 blocks per game. He is on a bargain contract until 2019 (IT's contract expires in 2018). Unfortunately, I doubt Larry is gonna make him available in a trade for IT. If he does, it should be a no-brainer for us.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:10:27 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Its more likely someone like bradley is traded. We have smart, bradley and jaylen brown all who can play the 2. Without a bonafide star its nice to have the depth. But if we got a star ainge can move bradley or smart.

The team has still been playing well without bradley

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He absolutely deserves the max.

This is a lottery team without him.

I think that second sentence is the goal of a lot of fans. Why have stars when you can have a 25% shot at a complete unknown who, if everything breaks exactly correctly, might some day become as good as Thomas?
100% agree. There is a large section of this blog that believes the only way to #18 is through 19 year olds who might become great. Might. The calls to trade players for more picks in this draft, the calls to let IT and other excellent vets go because we need to build with players Smart's age and younger, the reluctance to not trade picks for the right type of stars is baffling to me.

Why can't we have it all? Good players and draft picks?
Seems like Ainge doesn't agree with you, he didn't make the deals.
He doesn't agree with us...YET! He hasn't traded the picks...YET! He hasn't made the picks and developed them...YET. Things could change. He might be taking the long road and be willing to have a good team now while he drafts and develops teenagers who might pay off sometime in the 2020s and beyond. Or maybe he just hasn't found the right deal yet. We will see.

If the pick lands #1 it will be twice as valuable versus the value at the deadline this year.  Like I said in a previous post, what the Celtics do will have a lot to do with their post-season performance.

If they make a deep run, say to the ECF, I think they will keep the pick if they can sign Hayward.

If they get bounced early again, the whole roster will look different.
I don't think where the pick lands or how far this team goes will have that much effect as to exactly what Ainge plans to do this off season. I think Ainge is well aware of his team's deficiencies and where they have to improve. It will just be a matter of how he goes about addressing those deficiencies. I think he is definitely drafting a guard and thats because he will have decided that IT and Smart are the only long term pieces he is going to keep from the current group. I think he will attempt to go after Hayward or Griffin or Millsap in free agency. And I think there is a chance he revisits talks on trading for a star player like Butler or George. But I think he does those things regardless of where the pick lands or how this team does in the playoffs

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lakers???

Pierce and now IT4?

How come you rarely hear , my dad was a huge Celts fan?

« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm not say n  they don't deserve a max ......maybe they do and they may get one from Somebody else .......I'm just predicting what Danny might do .....knowing

Danny does not give out max contracts like candy .......he will offer these guys nice ontrcts I'm sure 100 % .....there is just not enough money to give them all max contracts no matter how much you like them.

I don't see him giving IT or AB a flat max contract ....unless we go deep into the playoff. , that might make a difference.

If we get crushed .  I say max dream dies for these guys.  They gonna have to really pour on the coal

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lakers???

Pierce and now IT4?

How come you rarely hear , my dad was a huge Celts fan?

California is a huge state that produces a lot of talent. There have been 375 players from CA and another 81 from Washington and Oregon.  New England has produced 84 total.

Then, there's the Lakers vs. Celtics rivalry. A lot of players grew up watching Magic and Larry, and Showtime appealed more than Boston to a lot of fans because of its glitz and glamour. There's probably a bit of a racial dynamic there, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I think that second sentence is the goal of a lot of fans. Why have stars when you can have a 25% shot at a complete unknown who, if everything breaks exactly correctly, might some day become as good as Thomas?
100% agree. There is a large section of this blog that believes the only way to #18 is through 19 year olds who might become great. Might. The calls to trade players for more picks in this draft, the calls to let IT and other excellent vets go because we need to build with players Smart's age and younger, the reluctance to not trade picks for the right type of stars is baffling to me.

He doesn't agree with us...YET! He hasn't traded the picks...YET! He hasn't made the picks and developed them...YET. Things could change. He might be taking the long road and be willing to have a good team now while he drafts and develops teenagers who might pay off sometime in the 2020s and beyond. Or maybe he just hasn't found the right deal yet. We will see.

If the pick lands #1 it will be twice as valuable versus the value at the deadline this year.  Like I said in a previous post, what the Celtics do will have a lot to do with their post-season performance.

If they make a deep run, say to the ECF, I think they will keep the pick if they can sign Hayward.

I don't think where the pick lands or how far this team goes will have that much effect as to exactly what Ainge plans to do this off season. I think Ainge is well aware of his team's deficiencies and where they have to improve. It will just be a matter of how he goes about addressing those deficiencies. I think he is definitely drafting a guard and thats because he will have decided that IT and Smart are the only long term pieces he is going to keep from the current group. I think he will attempt to go after Hayward or Griffin or Millsap in free agency. And I think there is a chance he revisits talks on trading for a star player like Butler or George. But I think he does those things regardless of where the pick lands or how this team does in the playoffs

Where the pick lands will absolutely affect Danny's options on the trade market.  For example, I don't see how Danny could overpay Chicago for Butler versus what Cleveland paid to acquire Kevin Love with Wiggins.  That is our most recent benchmark for trading the #1 pick/player for a young All-Star.

I am also only going off of what Danny has stated publicly which is that he feels we haven't seen the best of this team yet, one of the main reasons he did not make any moves.  That leads me to believe he is saying to his team 'alright guys, you want to stay here show me you deserve it.' If they flame out in the playoffs there will be little evidence that they should keep anyone on the roster outside of Horford, IT, Smart, and Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
If we get Hayward/Griffin this summer (give it the likeliness you want), there is no way we spend 90+ million per year in Horford + Thomas + Hayward/Griffin. We have to sign our top-4 pick this year and pay Smart, even Bradley or Olynyk.

If we can't land a top free agent, there is a chance to keep IT with a max deal. However, given his characteristics, I wouldn't offer him more than three years in any case.
If you sign Hayward or Griffin, you absolutely max Isaiah. Cant lose him.

Please could you tell me how are you filling the other 12 men on the roster?

You have very limited money for that, even paying the luxury tax.
You suck it up, pay the luxury tax and fill the rest of your roster with rookie contract guys.

You have no other choice.

Then hopefully you can move Avery for a PF. Maybe Saric?

Then you have Thomas, Smart, Brown, Crowder, Griffin/Hayward, Horford, Saric, '17, Rozier, Zizic all under long term team control. Thats a championship 10 man rotation and then when Isaiah, Horford, and Griffin/Hayward reach the end of their contracts, it should be just about the same time as your next core: Brown, '17, '18, Zizic, Saric, Smart will be coming up for another contract.

If you let Thomas walk it basically defeats the purpose of signing a max guy.

« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Where the pick lands will absolutely affect Danny's options on the trade market.  For example, I don't see how Danny could overpay Chicago for Butler versus what Cleveland paid to acquire Kevin Love with Wiggins.  That is our most recent benchmark for trading the #1 pick/player for a young All-Star.

I am also only going off of what Danny has stated publicly which is that he feels we haven't seen the best of this team yet, one of the main reasons he did not make any moves.  That leads me to believe he is saying to his team 'alright guys, you want to stay here show me you deserve it.' If they flame out in the playoffs there will be little evidence that they should keep anyone on the roster outside of Horford, IT, Smart, and Jaylen Brown.
GMs don't base personnel decisions solely on playoff performances. They base them on a player's total body of work and their potential to grow as players. If a player has a great regular season and then struggles some, Danny isn't going to jettison them simply because they had a bad stretch in the playoffs. That's short sited and enotional and Ainge doesn't make decisions like that.

I also don't think the team is trading this year's Nets pick which is why I stated I think they will draft a guard. So it really doesn't matter where the pick lands because I don't see them moving it. If there is a trade for a star this off season I think it will be the picks in 2018 and 2019 that get traded.