Author Topic: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"  (Read 11660 times)

Re: Sounds like IT wants a max. "Keeping options open"
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
He absolutely deserves the max.

This is a lottery team without him.

I think that second sentence is the goal of a lot of fans. Why have stars when you can have a 25% shot at a complete unknown who, if everything breaks exactly correctly, might some day become as good as Thomas?

Wow, hyperbole is running wild on Celticsblog in this thread.

I disagree with both of those statements. I don't think anyone wants to be a lottery team in Boston. I think that many of the knowledgable and passionate fans of the Celtics, appreciate how important it is to have a franchise player. What NBA team has contended for a championship without one? In all decades, you look for that player. And usually he is a top draft pick. I think that is the allure of the NBA Draft. You are looking for your Bird, your Magic, your Jordan, your Duncan, your Kobe, your Shaq, your KG, your Lebron, your Westbrook, your Durant. That is why Ainge is looking for a player that can make the franchise perennial contenders. 

(I happened to believe Boogie was that piece btw).

That said, you are right, there are alot of draft choices that might not pan out.
IT has been a fantastic pick-up. He is having an incredible run. However, he has not been good enough to carry Boston past the first round. That is a fact, whether you like it or not.

Stevens was planning on bringing IT of the bench this year-that was the plan.
While I value a 6th man-equally to starters, I can't think that most GM's would envision that player deserving MAX money.

Should we commit our franchise to build around IT?  Is he worth max money? 

What if you get the number one pick and draft Fultz? What if Brad Steven's say's Fultz is better than IT-do you offer IT Max money? What about Avery Bradley? Marcus Smart? Jaylen Brown?

I think there are a number of factors that you have to consider before offering someone a Max contract.  I believe that only a handful of players are worth it!

I don't think that Celtic fans want to be in the lottery. I think we want that MAX player to be a franchise player, one that can play both ends of the court and make us a contender.

I don't know if IT can do that. Like IT, I think Boston has to keep its options open.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
If we get Hayward/Griffin this summer (give it the likeliness you want), there is no way we spend 90+ million per year in Horford + Thomas + Hayward/Griffin. We have to sign our top-4 pick this year and pay Smart, even Bradley or Olynyk.

If we can't land a top free agent, there is a chance to keep IT with a max deal. However, given his characteristics, I wouldn't offer him more than three years in any case.
If you sign Hayward or Griffin, you absolutely max Isaiah. Cant lose him.

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Man I can't wait to see all these same posters complain about our "lack of scoring" when IT is traded...  ::)

Really? Cuz trading him and getting something back is better than him leaving for the Lakers and getting nothing.

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Man I can't wait to see all these same posters complain about our "lack of scoring" when IT is traded...  ::)

Really? Cuz trading him and getting something back is better than him leaving for the Lakers and getting nothing.

Except you aren't getting anyone back that's better.

Name me someone.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Name me someone.

1. Define 'better' - IT doesn't play D and when he's off his hucking and chucking makes our team blows. This is a team game, so if someone doesn't score as well as him they may do other things better. Moreover, they don't have to be a PG as we can draft one.

2. How is it logical to think getting nothing is better than nothing at all?

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Name me someone.

I think you would have to know the offers on the table before proceeding or not proceeding with a trade. Would you take Butler back for him? How about the #2 pick in this year's draft? If Danny has reservations building around IT (and that is entirely possible given the fact that we clearly don't want to part with the BKN picks), then it is at least a possibility that IT gets dealt before his deal is up.

No way does Danny let him walk; however, if he is here at past next year's deadline, then clearly he does feel comfortable giving him the max.

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Just imagine if IT makes an All-NBA team (absolutely possible). Would anybody feel comfortable committing over $40M/yr to IT over 5 years using the super-max?

It's hard not to like IT and how he has helped the Cs, but if George or Butler were offered in [essentially] a straight-up deal this summer for him, I would have a hard time saying no.
These are lateral moves. Why would Indy/Chicago have any interest in making a move like that?

If we are trading with Indy, my target would be Myles Turner. IT for Myles Turner straight up works on the trade machine. I would even throw in a non Brooklyn first.

Boston finally gets a rim protector - rebounder. As for Indy, if Larry is afraid of losing George he might have some interest in this deal. Plus there is this tweet from last week
Quote from: Michael Pina
Interviewer: "Name one player you're most excited to see this weekend."

Paul George: "Isaiah."
https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/833022392964435968

I guess PG would love to play with IT.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:24:16 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just imagine if IT makes an All-NBA team (absolutely possible). Would anybody feel comfortable committing over $40M/yr to IT over 5 years using the super-max?

It's hard not to like IT and how he has helped the Cs, but if George or Butler were offered in [essentially] a straight-up deal this summer for him, I would have a hard time saying no.
These are lateral moves. Why would Indy/Chicago have any interest in making a move like that?

If we are trading with Indy, my target would be Myles Turner. IT for Myles Turner straight up works on the trade machine. I would even throw in a non Brooklyn first.

Boston finally gets a rim protector - rebounder. As for Indy, if Larry is afraid of losing George he might have some interest in this deal. Plus there is this tweet from last week

IT and a first for Myles Turner.....if Ainge ever made that trade he would be instantly fired and most probably would never get another GM job again. That trade is so bad as to only be considered a joke. You were kidding by proposing that, right? You don't seriously think thay is a good trade, do you?

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Would people on here really prefer letting Thomas walk to paying him the max?

Do people really think we would do better in free agency than Isaiah?

Isaiah deserves the max, he's been one of the best offensive players in the league this year and he was also excellent last year.

If you fundamentally don't think Isaiah is worth the max, do you think the Celtics would be better off without him? Do you think who we would replace his max salary with would be better than him.

I can't understand that so many people on here would rather have the cap space, since just a year ago the majority of people on here didn't think Boston could draw max free agents. Suddenly we are so good that we have our pick of free agents now?

Sign Hayward to the max, then sign a max extension with IT this summer. By the time that Horford and IT are winding down, our Nets picks will be hitting their primes. Keeping IT and capping yourself out is fine if you have elite young prospects developing on your bench that raise your team's ceiling.

Signing IT to the max ensures that we are good while we wait for the Nets picks to develop. I believe that developing prospects in a winning environment is extremely important and keeping IT makes sure that happens.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Isaiah deserves the max, he's been one of the best offensive players in the league this year and he was also excellent last year.

Only the day drinkers.  Tremendous respect for them, but not the best prospective GMs. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

Only the day drinkers.  Tremendous respect for them, but not the best prospective GMs.

That's not the issue - before he started negotiating through the media and opening his mouth, I would have reluctantly said we have no choice but to ask for the max. But what he's doing is really childish and is a very very bad sign - to be going through the media this way and bringing up the Lakers.

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If Fultz is as good as I think....scoring buckets

IT ....won't get a max from Celtics ......

To get a max ....IT needs to lead the Celtics min. Out of first round .
There is a 25% chance that we even have the opportunity to draft fultz.  Add the possibility of a trade and I would not even waste my time thinking about fultz.

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He deserves a significant pay raise. Whatever range that falls in I hope is negotiated between him and is good for the team going forward.

I'd hope that in the course of arriving at the final figures IT (and BOS) considers what he's meant to this team - not only in his play but ALSO in him trying to attract FA's and his positive outlook on the team.

I'd also find it hard to believe if he did not perhaps "leave something" on the table in the event DA needed to go after another big name or role players.

PLEASE don't let Isaiah Thomas walk, DA - he is our heart and soul right now. Just get him, Al and the team the pieces they need to compete.

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown

IT and a first for Myles Turner.....if Ainge ever made that trade he would be instantly fired and most probably would never get another GM job again. That trade is so bad as to only be considered a joke. You were kidding by proposing that, right? You don't seriously think thay is a good trade, do you?

I would trade Isiah for Turner in a heartbeat, are you serious? Turner is 10 years younger, he's the ideal PG for this system, and we still have Smart, Rozier, and maybe Fultz or Ball to play the PG. You do realize that good PGs are a dime a dozen in the NBA, right?

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2017, 09:16:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
We are caught between the proverbial rock and hard place with Thomas.  You will never get full value if you trade him and if you don't, you risk him signing with the Lakers.  What to do.  Actually the third option (signing him to a max deal) is not ideal either.

I have conceded that we are going to lose him and that they won't trade him.  The beauty in that is that I can simply enjoy that we are a good team while waiting for one or more of the draft picks to become a star.  Thanks to Thomas, we aren't Minni or Philly but he isn't going to make us GSW either.